Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:19 am

Author Topic: Pads  (Read 1922 times)

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Pads
« on: 01 May 2016, 04:27:36 pm »
My front pads are needing changed on my gen 2 does anyone have any recommendations
Also was going to change the brake fluid so was thinking of getting some hell brake lines are these worth it or is there not much difference in feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Pads
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
I can give you my perspective as a Gen1 owner. I generally get either EBC or OEM Yamaha pads, I believe for the Gen 1 at least the OEM pads are organic (non sintered). I prefer organic pads as I tend to trail the brakes which I find glazes sintered pads which then ruins their performance. Fresh organic pads probably loose out to fresh sintered pads on sheer stopping power but because they don't glaze I find organic more predicatable and they still have sufficient performance for 'spirited' road use. Some folks are harder on their brakes or do trackdays in which case glazing would be less of an issue and sintered HH pads would probably be the better choice. So in summary it depends a lot on what you use your bike for, your riding style and personal preference.

Yamaha recommend replacing your brake lines after 4 years for safety reasons so I would suggest if your bike is of that age or older then you ought to replace them. I think most people who say that there is a very noticeable difference in feel have come from old rubber lines that were past their best and so expanded under braking, the additional movement and increasing amount of force needed at the lever due to the old rubber line expanding under pressure can be described as "feel" which you would loose when you fit new braided lines. I think if you were to compare new rubber lines with new braided ines you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and that manufacturers generally fit rubber lines to reduce cost. In any case it doesn't take long to adapt to new braided lines and once you're used to them I doubt you'd want to go back to rubber lines.

If you contact HEL direct - http://www.helperformance.com/contact/ - and mention the Fazer forums they will give you a 25% discount. However RaceLines UK - http://race-lines.co.uk/store/ - is Hel's discounted outlet and the price will be about 25% less anyhow, probably worth checking the price on racelines and then contacting Hel for a forum price to see whether there's anything in it. If you're not bothered about brand then Wezmoto is run by a chap who uses the Hel factory to build his lines so you are getting exactly the same line for a cheaper price - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wezmoto-eu?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
« Last Edit: 01 May 2016, 05:44:49 pm by PieEater »

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
I agree with PieEater about OEM or EBC. I'm experimenting with Galfer at the moment but not too impressed with initial bite- maybe they'll improve with a few more miles on them.
I fitted HEL lines on my last 3 bikes and with the discount they make a lot of sense.
Rob

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2016, 06:54:32 pm »
I would go with OEM although they are not cheap.
I put some EBC on last time around and the feel is just not the same.

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2016, 08:29:17 am »
Has your bike got ABS? That makes it a lot more expensive as there are 8 lines to change. Think it ramps the price up from about £95-00 to £240-00.
Paradox - A bit like paracetamol but different.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2016, 09:05:20 am »
Oem ones are great pads. I find ebc fine though, they can be a bit inconsistent in the wet though. 

That said they are super cheap, if you spent oem kind of money on the gpfax ebc pads you will find them much better than oem.

Intentionally left blank

Intentionally left blank

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2016, 07:08:56 pm »
I've fitted Carbone Lorraine pads for the last 12 years or so and find them excellent.

Motopsycho87

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2016, 10:11:51 pm »
Goldfren s33 are awesome and don't stag the discs like etc HH