Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:17 pm

Author Topic: FZ1-S lateral (axial) play in swingarm  (Read 1656 times)

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1-S lateral (axial) play in swingarm
« on: 20 April 2016, 08:06:16 pm »
go back ca. 4 years at MOT - tester detected minor play in rear wheel bearing - he passed it and I replaced the bearings anyway (as he knew I would) play was still there and had been ever since but has never got any worse - I remind him every year and he says "oh yes I remember".  However, last year's MOT he put it down as an advisory and saidf I needed to look at it again - as it was no different that last 4 years but MOT time is approaching again. 

Got some new tyres week before last and I thought  :think "ah lets check swingarm  while the wheel is out...Result = no diecernable play in the bearings BUT significant lateral (on axis of swingarm pivot pin) ca. 1mm  The whole swing arm move laterally between the bearing dust caps?

Erm help? 

Anyone else had this - what is the cure (I can't see how it can be - the dustcaps don't appear to be worn - I can't seen the centre sleeve wearing out?)

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1-S lateral (axial) play in swingarm
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2016, 07:49:31 am »
Hmmm

In the absence of any replies I have used put a suitably sized 0.5mm shim washer each side under the bearing cap which has removed the play and the swingarm moves freely....