Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:38 pm

Author Topic: Problem with Clocks  (Read 1453 times)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Problem with Clocks
« on: 16 April 2016, 07:26:38 pm »
I quite liked the idea of fitting LED strip lighting to my Gen 1 clocks and as Desewer had recently done this he kindly gave me instructions on what he did. I had some issues getting the strip to work which was down to my soldering and connection of positive side of strips to negative on the bulb holders http://foc-u.co.uk/Smileys/efocicon/embarrassed.gif. I now have the strip working.

I have fitted the clocks back and I have no clock, no mileage details, no trip meter, no rev counter and whilst the multigauge loads to show the menu I can't get it to do anything else. The reset button don't seem to work so I cant change between menu on the multigauge. Everything is now nice and bright though!!

Does anybody have any idea what could have happened to provide this catastrophic error? I have checked the fuses and they seem OK.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Clocks
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2016, 07:19:53 am »
Check that the connector into the back of the clocks is fitted properly.  Look also for any corrosion or damage to the pins inside this connector. 

It's a fair bet that the problem has been caused by you disturbing something during the course of the LED mod, so retrace your actions carefully to find out why. :)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2016, 02:37:55 pm »
Hi Mike, I fitted the clocks last night, no response from LCD so I left them and thought I would wait for some decent 2nd hand ones to turn up. Before I went out this morning I turned on the ignition and hey presto everything is working!! Nothing was touched between last night and this morning. All very strange. I haven't started the bike yet but even the Multigauge is working as it should..

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2016, 10:44:13 am »
I have often pondered on the mysteries of motorcycle electrics. Sometimes stuff just seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes it's my cack handed incompetence with a soldering iron. Never a dull moment but many confusing ones.  :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2016, 04:04:24 pm »
Missed that, mate.  Glad it's OK again - I'd still check all the connections carefully to avoid a roadside return of the problem in the rain. ;)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2016, 09:05:43 pm »
I've been using the bike ever since and no issues except now I cant see the Multigauge. Christian has sent me details on how to upgrade the lights in the unit. Here we go again!!!