Date: 18-04-24  Time: 16:18 pm

Author Topic: '99 FZS 600 Downpipe replacement and Bristol (North/Central) garage sought  (Read 2321 times)

ltcorwin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Just had the bike through it's MOT.

Only thing that cropped up was a slight blow on the downpipe collector under the engine.  Garage put some sealant on for me but it's going to need replaced.  Time for some nice stainless steel downpipes (still got the original mild steel ones on it).

So recommendations for the downpipes sought?  Delkevic and Motad have both been  mentioned in the past.  Is one better at fitting than the other?  Better quality, etc  Which of those tow, or another brand, do you recommend?

Secondly, as I'm unable to do the work myself due to some medical issues (Shoulder surgeries plus other things) , can anyone recommend me a good place to take it to get the exhaust work done?  Anywhere in North or Central Bristol would be ideal, as that's where I'm based.

(I'm giving up on my current garage as they've made one or two slip ups in the past, one left me with no front brakes when I rode off after a tyre change, the other left me with no power doing 70 in the outside lane of a dual carriageway (they forgot to reconnect the fuel tank after an air filter change during a service)

The fiancée was less than happy about that last one as she was a few cars behind me on the dual carriageway and got the fright of her life as I was dodging traffic to pull in.

I also intend to pick up some PlusGas or similar to help loosen the nuts on the exhaust and treat the bike to it for a good few days before I take it anywhere to have the work done, might as wel try and make it easy for the mechanic eh?  Anyone make any recommendations on what or where to get it?

So any recommendations for downpipes, Bristol mechanics, PlusGas?

Thanks to the group mind for letting me pick it's brains

LTC

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hey,

so I just had the downpipes replaced on mine (based in London so can't help with garage) and went with the motad ones. They are a bit expensive but there is a thread on here somewhere discussing why they're the best... and that's why I went with them. The bike sounds amazing in comparison to the old slightly rusted blowing pipes so from that perspective they've been worth it

PlusGas can be found on amazon. I got it, used it and saved money on labour. The garage said the bolts came out pretty easy so I guess it did it's job. It's not going to hurt, that's for sure.

Can't help on the garage sadly

HJF

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Some info in this thread
Also not just a few days of plusgas - go for a few weeks and but on after each ride when warm. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

ltcorwin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Some info in this thread
Also not just a few days of plusgas - go for a few weeks and but on after each ride when warm.
Fazersharp, I think you forgot to include the link there....?

But thanks for the plusgas tip

LTC

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Motad all day for me, give them call for best price say you've seen them on ebay for around £170 see what they say you will need 4 new exhaust gaskets O/D 42mm, Motad can supply them to.
The garage will need to balance your carbs when fitting new downpipes.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Errr here  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,19727.0.html

On the balance issue I though that was not going to be needed on motads
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Mine needed balancing (crappy idle)but I also replaced the standard air filter for K&N at the same time. Smile

Davefc

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hi I recently purchased these from Ebay and had them fitted by my local bike shop (charge £100). All in all very pleased, too old for dragging myself around floor lol. Only thing not, black like the ones that came off. The collector box has gone on and was unweldable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151630058346?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT