Date: 26-04-24  Time: 17:29 pm

Author Topic: Front Sprocket  (Read 2661 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Front Sprocket
« on: 11 April 2016, 08:50:36 am »
Hello Gentlemen,
Can anyone tell me how the f--k do you get the front sprocket off my 02/03 fzs600. I purchased the new modified sprocket nut and washer from Yamaha and have tried a couple of times to undo the sprocket retaining nut, I think the Incredible Hulk fitted it originally. I am assuming it is a standard right hand thread. 32mm socket and a 500mm extension lever, I am frightened to apply any more force than I have thus far for fear of snapping something.
I have left it for now as I have rightly or wrongly reasoned that as its that tight it's not likely to cause a problem. I have read about all sorts of nasty things happening when problems occurred with the nut.
I am 12st 10lbs in weight and a retired bricky so I am not adversed to applying a little force, but have shivered at the thought of snapping or stripping a thread on the shaft. Am I just being a tart and should I go for it?

Advice welcome and I am aware that the ultimate decision rests with me.

Someone said put a gas torch on it but not going down that route as it seems to me to risky, firstly removing any hardening and tempering from the shaft itself and or screwing any oil seals in the vicinity.
 :'(

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2016, 11:07:27 am »
Found the same problem myself in February -had purchased the upgraded 12mm nut/washer in anticipation.
When I tried to undo existing nut I was on my own so put soft piece of wood between wheel spoke & swingarm. Fitted 600mm extension bar and a length of steel scaffold pipe over this--couldnt budge the f****r !  So like you reasoned that if brute force & ignorance wont move it then I will leave until such time as sprocket needs replacing & get local friendly garage to shock it loose with air tool !

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2016, 08:02:34 am »
Found the same problem myself in February -had purchased the upgraded 12mm nut/washer in anticipation.
When I tried to undo existing nut I was on my own so put soft piece of wood between wheel spoke & swingarm. Fitted 600mm extension bar and a length of steel scaffold pipe over this--couldnt budge the f****r !  So like you reasoned that if brute force & ignorance wont move it then I will leave until such time as sprocket needs replacing & get local friendly garage to shock it loose with air tool !

Thanks for your thoughts on the sprocket issue, I am going to do likewise and leave it until such time as the drive train needs replacing. I tried to undo it wi.th bike in 1st gear mate sat on bike with front and rear brakes held on, still no joy, don't think that bad boy is going to come loose in a hurry.  :groan  Hope I'm right about that. I heard of one guy welding them sprocket onto the sharft after his threads had stripped. Bit drastic.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2016, 07:56:18 pm »
Hello Gentlemen,
Can anyone tell me how the f--k do you get the front sprocket off my 02/03 fzs600. I purchased the new modified sprocket nut and washer from Yamaha and have tried a couple of times to undo the sprocket retaining nut, I think the Incredible Hulk fitted it originally. I am assuming it is a standard right hand thread. 32mm socket and a 500mm extension lever, I am frightened to apply any more force than I have thus far for fear of snapping something.
I have left it for now as I have rightly or wrongly reasoned that as its that tight it's not likely to cause a problem. I have read about all sorts of nasty things happening when problems occurred with the nut.
I am 12st 10lbs in weight and a retired bricky so I am not adversed to applying a little force, but have shivered at the thought of snapping or stripping a thread on the shaft. Am I just being a tart and should I go for it?

If somebody has applied loctite to it 500mm lever will do nothing. You need a pipe at least 1 meter long. Stop the rear wheel with some wood on the swingarm, like I have used hammer handle wrapped in old t-shirt.

Make sure you have straighten the washer first. Have you done that? There is an washer below the nut which is bend to prevent unscrew. You need to starighten it with a big screwdriver and a hammer first.

Than go for it with the 1m pipe extension. It is tight but will go off. Let friend of yours seat on the bike or if alone like I have done it, you push hard with your left hand down on the socket and with right hand upwards with the pipe making sure you do not overturn the whole bike.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 08:01:14 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2016, 11:18:21 pm »
Hello Gentlemen,

If somebody has applied loctite to it 500mm lever will do nothing. You need a pipe at least 1 meter long. Stop the rear wheel with some wood on the swingarm, like I have used hammer handle wrapped in old t-shirt.

Make sure you have straighten the washer first. Have you done that? There is an washer below the nut which is bend to prevent unscrew. You need to starighten it with a big screwdriver and a hammer first.

Than go for it with the 1m pipe extension. It is tight but will go off. Let friend of yours seat on the bike or if alone like I have done it, you push hard with your left hand down on the socket and with right hand upwards with the pipe making sure you do not overturn the whole bike.
Cheers for the advice Val I will give it a go at some point.
I do have the Upgrade nut and washer now (12mm), the one that was supplied by Yamaha was a 9mm nut the same as the original, it may of been my fault as I asked for a replacement nut and washer for the sprocket and I guess they just gave me the nut to replace the original, I should have asked for the upgraded nut and washer set.
But to be honest I feel as if I am being generous to them.  BASTARDS :eek

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2016, 11:44:17 pm »
Is it really 94KN :grumble  torque to the front sprocket nut.
I have a Britool EVT600A rachet torque wrench but it goes up to 68KN or 50 lbfft or 600 lbfin.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2016, 01:05:55 am »
Pop down your local garage with your 32mm socket in hand and ask them to loosen it with their impact wrench, re tighten and remove when you get home

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2016, 04:00:34 pm »
Pop down your local garage with your 32mm socket in hand and ask them to loosen it with their impact wrench, re tighten and remove when you get home

Hey Joe sounds like a plan to me. X

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2016, 09:04:10 pm »
  QUOTE                   I heard of one guy welding them sprocket onto the sharft after his threads had stripped. Bit drastic.

who would do a thing like that............. me this was the second sprocket welded on the first one did 22,000 miles, the welding on the end of the shaft/nut is just to tack it on, the weld on the sprocket/nut is to stop it "chattering" on the splines, it doesn't matter now as I came off the bike due to diesel on the road and the bike was written off.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2016, 09:15:57 am »
  QUOTE                   I heard of one guy welding them sprocket onto the sharft after his threads had stripped. Bit drastic.

who would do a thing like that............. me this was the second sprocket welded on the first one did 22,000 miles, the welding on the end of the shaft/nut is just to tack it on, the weld on the sprocket/nut is to stop it "chattering" on the splines, it doesn't matter now as I came off the bike due to diesel on the road and the bike was written off.

Sorry to hear that Chaz, the bike is replaceable but you obviously survived and that cool cos you aint replaceable. Same as the rest of us, individual and unique. :rolleyes all irreplaceable one offs.
But did you replace the :faz ?
« Last Edit: 22 April 2016, 09:22:19 am by tommyardin »

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2016, 11:20:31 pm »
No haven't replaced the fazer, still got another bike to ride, been looking at MT09 but not sure, theres two FZ8s in Jax York. I'm having a think about riding in a squad this year as still not fit. Just read that the "Harrogate Lads" father and son have got a 70 day ban and each been fined over a £1000 each for doing 110 mph. Unmarked police bike followed them, police said as the season starts they will be out after the speeders, it's a pitty the police didn't put a bit of effort into finding who split loads of deisel on the road when I came off, when I say loads there must have been gallons as I was told that I slid 50 to 70 feet before I hit the car coming towards me and I was still laid in diesel? there's a yard a mile up the road where they sell old plant and vehicals proberbly been one of those? but can't prove it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2016, 11:37:31 pm »
No haven't replaced the fazer, still got another bike to ride, been looking at MT09 but not sure, theres two FZ8s in Jax York. I'm having a think about riding in a squad this year as still not fit. Just read that the "Harrogate Lads" father and son have got a 70 day ban and each been fined over a £1000 each for doing 110 mph. Unmarked police bike followed them, police said as the season starts they will be out after the speeders, it's a pitty the police didn't put a bit of effort into finding who split loads of deisel on the road when I came off, when I say loads there must have been gallons as I was told that I slid 50 to 70 feet before I hit the car coming towards me and I was still laid in diesel? there's a yard a mile up the road where they sell old plant and vehicals proberbly been one of those? but can't prove it.

Well Chaz i'm glad your on the mend buddy I hope you will be up and about riding again soon. Don't know anything about the bike you mentioned I have seen pics of the MT but know nothing about the specs is it a 4 or a twin?