Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:54 pm

Author Topic: FZS600 problems getting bike on center stand.  (Read 8886 times)

Badger1963

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
FZS600 problems getting bike on center stand.
« on: 28 February 2016, 08:29:54 pm »
Hi folks
I have recently purchased myself a 2003 FZS600 but have problems getting it on the center stand, anybody out there got any advice I'm feeling a bit of a prat having to get the wife to help me pull it onto the stand, cheers for any help.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 problems getting bike on center stand.
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2016, 08:53:20 pm »
Fazer is usually one of the easiest bikes to get on the stand, as it's not very heavy and the stand is in a good spot. Are you sure the stand isn't bent or the ironwork collapsing? Otherwise just stand on the lever, pull on the grabrail, or rack, and lift backwards

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2016, 10:19:51 pm »
It's all in the technique, face the bike side on balancing the bike with one hand on the handlebar the other on the grab rail located just above the pillon footrest. As you press down the centre stand the bike will become incredibly stable, provided the ground is even. Put your weight on the centre stand as if you're trying to push it through the floor, at the same time pull the grab rail upwards towards the sky. The bike will magically snap onto the centre stand with the minimal of force, it's what it's designed to do, you shouldn't need to wrestle with it. You'll get there fella, all it takes is a little a bit of practice  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 28 February 2016, 10:25:26 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2016, 10:29:19 pm »
It's all in the technique, face the bike side on balancing the bike with one hand on the handlebar the other on the grab rail located just above the pillon footrest. As you press down the centre stand the bike will become incredibly stable, provided the ground is even. Put your weight on the centre stand as if you're trying to push it through the floor, at the same time pull the grab rail upwards towards the sky. The bike will magically snap onto the centre stand with the minimal of force, it's what it's designed to do, you shouldn't need to wrestle with it. You'll get there fella, all it takes is a little a bit of practice  :thumbup

Spot on. I use my left foot - any preferences elsewhere?
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 February 2016, 06:30:13 am »
It will go on the stand easy if the stand is in good nick.

Have a look for any rust spots or holes at the welds of the stand. Because of where they are positioned they obviously can take a lot water abuse from the front tyre. A lot of people tend to keep them coated up with Hammerite for this very reason to prevent water/salt/rust damage.
If the joints get weakened then the stand will eventually twist into a position that will make it difficult to use, especially if it's been used a lot.
Depending on how bad it may be can also leave the option open for it to eventually buckle through corrosion, which you really don't want.

Problem is, it's actually quite difficult to tell if the stand is twisted or not while it's still on the bike, but the general condition can be a good starting guide.
When i took my one off, as i was constantly having difficulty using it, i could blatantly see how contorted it was after removal.

Don't be worried about removal or refitting of the spring to have a look, once you put a bolt in one side of the stand you can pull the other side into place while the spring is connected, and it is much easier than you would ever imagine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 February 2016, 06:45:31 am »
As mentioned already it should be easy to get the bike onto centre stand IF it is straight & in good condition. Over time, if neglected, which is very common especially  as the stand is "out of sight" & exposed to the worst that the road can throw at it, the bracing or bridge piece can corrode & weaken allowing the 2 stand legs to move out of alignment. Best remove stand to check for structural integrity & alignment. Simple enough to get bridge section strengthened/welded/repaired. this also gives you the chance to regrease the stand pivot bolts & get at any corrosion around frame mounts. If spring tired then fairly cheap to replace for peace of mind. When corrosion removed from stand I have used 2 or 3 light coats of Hammerite smoothrite black to good effect.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 February 2016, 07:21:09 am »

Right foot.
I can't imagine there being too many more options.  :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2016, 08:50:55 am »

If you the bike feels as if it's leaning away from you when you start to push down on the centre stand lever then it's probably twisting.
It could be weakened through corrosion or, if the bike gets put on the stand on a daily basis, stress fractures eventually appear on the tube that links the left and right sides.

« Last Edit: 15 June 2018, 11:34:34 pm by Fazerider »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 February 2016, 09:46:11 am »
I use the left foot on the stand as others have said but I use the rear foot peg to lift.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 February 2016, 10:19:20 am »
 Right foot.

Unless you're Jake the Peg, diddle diddle diddle dum

O wait a minute, that's Rolf!
« Last Edit: 29 February 2016, 10:20:46 am by mtread »

Doggy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 February 2016, 10:37:15 am »
I started to notice it was more awkward than usual, then coming up to a roundabout the stand fell in half and made a scrapping sound from hell.

On inspection the spring eye on the main stand had rusted away completely!

Second hand stand from here, rub down & hammerite and fitted sorted the problem - now the easiest bike I have ever owned to put on the main stand.

Doggy
Too old to die young

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 February 2016, 11:32:45 am »
Right foot, pillion foot peg thing, or is it a strap fixing point. I don't have a grab rail. And by using the foot peg i can lift up as well. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 February 2016, 12:57:51 pm »
I use the left foot on the stand as others have said but I use the rear foot peg to lift.

That's a risky game lifting from lower down isn't it?
I would've thought it would be way better to control the balance of the bike by grabbing the seat rail higher up so you don't tip it over.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 February 2016, 01:01:50 pm »
Right foot, pillion foot peg thing, or is it a strap fixing point. I don't have a grab rail. And by using the foot peg i can lift up as well.

You as well, although if you haven't got a seat rail then i s'pose you don't have too much choice in the matter.
You'd soon know about it if your stand was twisted though by doing it that way.

Badger1963

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 February 2016, 09:36:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice folks, got home tonight and had a better look at the stand, several of you got it spot on stand was rotten as a pear and twisting like a bit of elastic, gonna take it into work tomorrow hopefully the welders can repair it if not ebay here I come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers again and roll on the summer.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 February 2016, 10:45:44 pm »

You as well, although if you haven't got a seat rail then i s'pose you don't have too much choice in the matter.
Always have done it that way even when the grab rail was fitted, its only a slightly lower position than the grab rail.
But what exactly it that extra bit on the foot rest - seems like a perfectly placed handle, to lift the bike onto the stand. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2016, 06:04:20 am »

Always have done it that way even when the grab rail was fitted, its only a slightly lower position than the grab rail.
But what exactly it that extra bit on the foot rest - seems like a perfectly placed handle, to lift the bike onto the stand.

Oh okay, yeah i just looked at a photo of my bike and see what you mean now, i've always used that part as a bungee point but it probably is for aiding the bike up onto the centre stand.
I'll give it a try next time i use it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2016, 10:11:09 am »

Right foot.

I use the sidestand. My bike lives on the street and gets knocked over on a monthly basis regardless of which stand I use. On the centre stand it has further to fall and always gets more damage.

I'm 6ft2 and 16st. Mine takes all my weight and a good heave on the grabrail to get on the centre stand.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2016, 08:09:57 pm »
probably said but check for any rotting or rust, give it a good blast with a jet wash then copious amounts of spray lube.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2016, 05:46:21 am »
probably said but check for any rotting or rust, give it a good blast with a jet wash then copious amounts of spray lube.

Adding water then lube isn't the greatest remedy for rust to be truthful.  :lol

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2016, 08:53:17 am »

Adding water then lube isn't the greatest remedy for rust to be truthful.  :lol

if its not too rusty its fine :D
just blast the junk off and then cover it up with some oily stuff to repel the water demons.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2016, 11:40:15 pm »
I find my Scottoiler stops the main stand from going rusty. Perhaps I ought to turn it down a bit ....  :book

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2016, 01:54:03 pm »
Or get a second Scottoiler to stop the other leg of the centrestand getting rusty?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 April 2016, 10:39:07 pm »

Right foot.

Depends how long your tagger is. That's why I use my side stand.lol