Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:52 am

Author Topic: Gen 1 fazer - odometer reads in kilometres  (Read 10952 times)

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 fazer - odometer reads in kilometres
« on: 04 March 2012, 04:38:18 pm »
Recently bought a 53-reg FZS1000 - loving the bike but noticed something odd about the speedo.
The speedo is in MPH as normal (KMH in small digits), however I've just noticed that the digital odometer and trip recorders are reading kilometres - I measured the distance to the petrol station and compared to what it says in my car - 5.3 in the car, 8.6 on the bike.
Is there a way to re-set this? I've read things about holding in the SELECT button on other Yamahas, but can't find anything definitive for the Fazer.
I disconnected the battery briefly since I bought it - but surely this wouldn't change it from Miles to KM?
Odometer reads 14k - if this is KM and not miles that's no bad thing, but I'm planning on putting a fair few miles on it, and worried the KM reading would go so high it'd become unsellable.
I'm pretty sure it's not an import (any way to check?)
Any suggestions?

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 fazer - odometer reads in kilometres
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
Could you have an imported bike and someone has changed the facia on the speedo to get that to read mph?

I don't think there is a way to change the odo from kilometers to miles without getting to the ecu.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2012, 04:53:02 pm by Ghoti »

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2012, 05:33:53 pm »
I guess it could be - any way to check?
Thinking about it there shouldn't be an easy or accidental way of switching from miles to KM, otherwise the total on the odometer would be misleading.
If it does turn out to be an import, is that a bad thing? It's in mint condition considering its age, rides well, etc.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2012, 05:35:18 pm »
ring yamaha uk with vin number  they may be able to tell you

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2012, 08:52:18 pm »
If it does turn out to be an import, is that a bad thing? It's in mint condition considering its age, rides well, etc.

No problems unless from France and still restricted, but that is not a real problem.

nickpeh

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2012, 08:26:55 am »
Those gen 1 fazer here in singapore specifically year 05 are in KM whereas the rest are in miles.. I think mine is from Italy and it's in Km.
Nick Peh

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2012, 10:49:45 am »
Could you have an imported bike and someone has changed the facia on the speedo to get that to read mph?

I don't think there is a way to change the odo from kilometers to miles without getting to the ecu.

I meant to say imported CLOCKS.  If for some reason the clocks break, it could be easier to find a set of KMH clocks second hand from an import that has been converted to MPH.

Out of curiousity, are the 2 trips and main odo all out?  I'm not sure but I guess the main odo mileage is stored somewhere different to the trip mileage.  If you disconnect and reconnect the battery the trips get reset, but the main odo does not.  If the main odo is the only bit that is on KPH you may just have a european chip or whatever stores the main mileage.

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2012, 02:53:07 pm »
I've just spoken to local Yamaha dealer - wasn't that much help, just said look for the word 'imported' on the V5 doc, and said replacing the clocks would be 'several hundred pounds'. I've checked through all the bike paperwork - still has original engine, service history all looks kosha, with stamps from several different dealers.
I guess the clocks might have been replaced and the service book fabricated, unless it has genuinely been recording kilometres from new? In which case the bike has done less than 10,000 miles in 8 yrs, with 5 owners.
I'm going to get back to the trader I bought it from and see what he recommends. I'm happy with the bike, I just want it measuring in miles!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
Forget the dealer, some are ok some are just useless. ring or email yamaha uk directly. i did this with my daughters suzuki a while ago to find out the import details on a bike. also did it with a honda a few years back to.
Yamaha uk can find out the details of any uk registered yamaha. if they dont have the vin on thier data base then its an import.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2012, 03:13:17 pm »
Yamaha UK - 01932 358000.  Always been helpful to me in the past.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2012, 04:54:06 pm »
I contacted them last week about my imported fazer. I knew it was imported, but didn't know what country it came from. They told me where it was from straight away.  :) 
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
I replaced my imported fazers kph clocks for mph clocks and both the odometer and trip readings are in miles. Just checked a known distance! I think that you clocks are kph clocks with mph facia. Make sure that you are doing the speed it states on the clocks! You might end up with speeding tickets :eek  When i got my bike it had a speedo converter plugged into the harness. It simply made the kph clocks read in mph ie 40 kph on the clocks now meant 40 mph. I'm selling it on ebay if its of any use :lol

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2012, 06:44:15 pm »
I think you might be right - KMH speedo with MPH fascia. I've just seen this speedo on ebay taken off a similar age FZS1000 and compared it to mine (photo below).
 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-GENUINE-YAMAHA-FZS1000-FZS-1000-FAZER-5LV-2002-CLOCKS-DASH-SPEEDO-/130650168968?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6b5b5e88)
Mine has longer yellow indicators and larger numbers on it, and on closer inspection it also says "REDIAL UK 41" on the bottom.
Thanks for the Yamaha phone number - I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens.

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
And now just discovered that "Redial UK" used to be a company that provides MPH overlays for KMH speedos.
Now just to find out from Yamaha the origins of the bike, whether that means its restricted, and work out what to do next.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
Fazer 1000's from 2003 onwards had speedos that go up in 10 mph increments. Here is one on ebay, so you can see the difference.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-FZS1000-5LV-Clocks-12150-/350464575540?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5199510834#ht_3555wt_1270

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 March 2012, 10:08:53 am »
The friendly lady at Yamaha UK has confirmed it's a French import, and had 104bhp when new. She said having an odometer in kilometres is quite common, and not illegal.
  • Clocks: should I just leave them as they are? Guess I could buy those off ebay and put them on when my bike reaches 16,000 - but that's £200. I'm planning a long Euro trip on it in the summer, KM tripmeter might be quite handy!
  • Headlights: They don't appear to dip down either side, I'll check next time I'm out at night - I guess this would have been picked up in previous MOTs.
  • Restriction: I saw a post that mentioned removing the plastic mushrooms from the carbs. Is this quick and easy to do? Saw this and got worried... (http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbremoval.html)
  • Legal stuff: Do I need to tell the DVLA? Do I need to tell my insurance?
  • Value: is it worth less?
  • Ask the obvious: Should I just stop worrying about this, and get out and enjoy what is a cracking bike on a nice sunny March morning?!
PS Great forum - thanks for all the help. Thought I should include a photo of the bike (it's not smoke out the back - it was minus 6!)
« Last Edit: 06 March 2012, 10:17:33 am by Ddddaveeee »

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2012, 10:37:07 am »
  • Clocks: should I just leave them as they are? Guess I could buy those off ebay and put them on when my bike reaches 16,000 - but that's £200. I'm planning a long Euro trip on it in the summer, KM tripmeter might be quite handy![/l][/l][/l][/l]

I'd leave them.  You know it is KM.  May have a minor issue when selling, but the bike has only done 3/5 of the mileage you thought, so that's a bonus.

• Headlights: They don't appear to dip down either side, I'll check next time I'm out at night - I guess this would have been picked up in previous MOTs.

Mine are flat too.  Never used a beam defelector in Europe.

Not sure about the removal, but if you are going that far I would strongly recommend an Ivanisation (loads of threads on it - search this site for Ivans kit)

• Legal stuff: Do I need to tell the DVLA? Do I need to tell my insurance?

Don't think DVLA are bothered where it came from.  If it was new, just not officially imported then I don't think any DVLA records will show this.  DVLA will already know if the bike was imported as a second hand bike. 
Insurance will (officially) need to know if you were asked if it is an official UK import and model (sometimes you are asked), if they did not ask, they don't need to know.

• Value: is it worth less?

Grey imports used to be worth less based on the fact they cost less when new I think, but since the £ weakened against the € there are less and I don't know what the situation is now - but it has done 3/5 of the mileage so...

• Ask the obvious: Should I just stop worrying about this, and get out and enjoy what is a cracking bike on a nice sunny March morning?!

Probably.  And lets face it, 104bhp is enough for the real world as long as the smell of garlic is not too much  :eek
[/list]

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2012, 12:45:12 pm »
Its a doddle to derestrict. Simply remove the carb tops and on the underside of the carb tops are black plastic mushrooms which should pull / twist off. Only thing to be careful about is a small o ring on carb (2) popping off when u remove the carb top. I swapped my euro headlight for a uk one and sold the kph clocks for £60 (ebay post to europe) and bought mph for £70. (1700 more miles)

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2012, 12:56:25 pm »
 Dave, try this.

Turn ignition on (don't start engine) push the select and reset switches at the same time for 20 secs, the display should toggle back to mph.

Ddddaveeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2012, 06:05:15 pm »
Thanks, I tried that but that just sets the time, I've also tried a lot of other combos of holding in single buttons with ignition on, off, standing on one leg, but all to no avail.
Think it's just a French bike with an MPH dial overlay which gets it through the MOT.
I was never really into French birds before, but, so long as I eat garlic first, this one handles SWEEEET  ;)

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 April 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
One of my old bikes you could change it to read between Kilometers and Miles! Cant remember how to do it now though, maybe press and hold both buttons for so long and it changed, nearly SH1T myself first time i done it mind!!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 fazer - odometer reads in kilometres
« Reply #21 on: 29 April 2013, 07:44:32 pm »
Just saw ur post and tried it with my bandit. Make sure ur on odometer. Press and hold select and it shud change.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2013, 07:45:53 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Boris

• DAS Born Again
  • Been known to talk bollocks!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZ6S - 04, XJR 1200 - 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 April 2013, 08:54:05 pm »
As to your comment about headlight alignment. From my experience I would go and get them checked. The reason I say this, is that the previous owner of mine never told me when I bought  the bike that it was a German import. Though the clocks had been changed and he had owned it for 7 years, it wasn't until I had my first local MOT that the testers told me the headlights were European ones   They could have failed it, but in the end put tape on the lenses and passed the bike. Rather than buy second hand headlights at stupid prices on ebay, I sent mine to Haslam motorcycle technologies in Doncaster and they converted the lenses to UK spec for £70.00 inc postage. I still had to play around with the adjusters on the back of the units, but once this was sorted, no problems with MOT'S and flashing lights from disgruntled on coming drivers.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 April 2013, 10:24:12 pm »
As to your comment about headlight alignment. From my experience I would go and get them checked. The reason I say this, is that the previous owner of mine never told me when I bought  the bike that it was a German import. Though the clocks had been changed and he had owned it for 7 years, it wasn't until I had my first local MOT that the testers told me the headlights were European ones   They could have failed it, but in the end put tape on the lenses and passed the bike. Rather than buy second hand headlights at stupid prices on ebay, I sent mine to Haslam motorcycle technologies in Doncaster and they converted the lenses to UK spec for £70.00 inc postage. I still had to play around with the adjusters on the back of the units, but once this was sorted, no problems with MOT'S and flashing lights from disgruntled on coming drivers.
It is not the lenses, it is the reflectors that are changed.
Get a broken set from  a breaker with reflectors intact. Seperate the lens from the rear ( lens come off indivudally) and unscrew the old relectors and screw in the replacement, saves a a fortune.

kylron

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 April 2013, 04:10:12 pm »
I just checked my bike,on the reg doc it has first registered in the UK in 2003 but it has the redial UK on the clocks.phoned Yamaha UK and they confirmed it was a 2001 model destined for France.I had the plastic mushrooms under the carb tops so removed them,is this the only way its restricted?
Also the rubber o rings mentioned are on all the carbs and two of them also have metal sleeves on two of the screws where some cable clamps bolt to the carb tops so it can be a bit fiddly doing it when they are still on the bike.