Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:37 am

Author Topic: Newish FZS1000 owner  (Read 1670 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Newish FZS1000 owner
« on: 31 March 2016, 05:00:25 pm »
Hey,

I bought an FZS1000 and the end of last year, its pretty much sat over winter (did not want to get it covered in Salt) I also have an FZS600 that I have had for the last 4 years.

I am looking for opinions on what to do to the thou, looks like there is some great mods out there, if you could list your top mods then what would they be?

I have spoken to Mike about Ivanising, i will do this as soon as I can. I also have a Devilsym R6 shock ready to be fitted, getting a shocktube deliverd then fitting.

The bike feels like it has a slight pulsing feeling, the carb rubbers look cracked but probably not right through, is there anything other than easy start to test this? The last owner said a carb balance would possibly be good, i will probably have this done soon. I had asked about the oil in the air filter box and that seems ok, it was not swimming or that. i had thought a about a K&N or Pipercross filter but folk have said that without rejetting this might not be great, so glad i asked.

I also feel the fuel gauge is inaccurate, or not so much that but seems to reduce in a weird way (quick in places on gauge and slow in others) does the multigauge help.

Any suggestions welcome.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Newish FZS1000 owner
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2016, 05:25:03 pm »
if you could list your top mods then what would they be?

These are the performance / handling mods I'd recommend, cosmetic mods are down to personal preference.
  • Replacement rear shock & shock tube / hugger to keep it clean
  • Ivanising with Full Monty & decent end can.
  • 4 degree ignition advancer - bit more bottom end for a bit less top end.
  • Fork service including fresh linear springs appropriate to rider weight (don't think R1 forks look right - personal preference)
  • Jack up kit - improves handling.
  • Forks through Yokes - improves handling
  • Manual cam chain tensioner - eliminate chances of automatic one failing.
  • Remove AIS - makes engine look less cluttered and helps with spark plug access
If you want some more ideas check out Pat's site if you haven't already - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

the carb rubbers look cracked but probably not right through

They pretty much all look that way now due to age but they are generally just surface cracks with no real issues, if you're having Mike Ivanise your bike he'll be able to confirm their condition for you.

The last owner said a carb balance would possibly be good, i will probably have this done soon.

Invest in a carbtune, it's an easy 10 minute job which you'll pay a garage over the odds to do.

I also feel the fuel gauge is inaccurate, or not so much that but seems to reduce in a weird way (quick in places on gauge and slow in others)

Not something that comes up very often so may be a dodgy sender unit or sticky gauge needle. The unit does work using a float so you'll find you have less fuel when going downhill and more when going uphill or accelerating hard.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2016, 05:35:09 pm by PieEater »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2016, 10:37:48 am »
Other then the R6 shock mod and Ivanising, I suggest servicing the EXUP valve, putting decent tyres on it (I like T30's but others are good too), some AFC-50  weather protection then get it out of the damn garage and ride it. PieEater's list covers all the main upgrades bar one, upgrade the lights to HID's. All the other mods are nice but not necessary, and should never keep you off the road.

Scottyboy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2016, 10:46:10 am »
Nice list Pie.

Regarding the ignition advancer, I've just ordered mine - what is the exact Gasket I am looking at buying (Crankcase?) (Timing Cover?) I can't find it anywhere. (Ease of mind in case the current one rips).

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
Gasket you need is 5LV-15456-00

The only modifications I have done to mine are: K&N Filter, 2012 S1000RR rear shock, (raises the rear by 10mm using standard Dog bones) Wilbers Progressive front springs with 10w Oil, forks lifted through the yolks by 10mm and using Metzlers Sportec M7 RR tyres.
The reason for progressive springs as opposed to linear springs was because I do a lot of 2 up riding and touring. I have retained the standard Exhaust. My bike looks standard and has shocked a number of Sportbike owners on the twisty bits :D , but then so does my 600 :lol

A properly serviced Fzs1000 in standard trim is a very good machine, but let down by soft suspension and tendency to understeer on acceleration out of very high speed bends. Raising the rear 10mm and dropping the front 10mm sorts it. :thumbup

I have always been of the mind: Sort the handling first and then see if you need extra poke  :lol

If I feel the need to I will go the Ivanising route, but have yet to see a really convincing argument to fit the 4 degree advancer.  :rolleyes

I do have a manual chain tensioner, which I must fit, but the number of failure instances on the FZS1000 or the R1 (Same Engine) is small.

The pulsing you describe sounds like worn tracks on the TPS, but if it is very worn it will show up a 3000 code on the rev counter. I had a similar issue and finally changed the TPS when it threw up the 3000 code and bike is much better since.

Balance the carbs first then check the TPS and service the EXUP valve and make sure it is set correctly.

Finally get it out of the garage and ride it :woot