Date: 27-04-24  Time: 05:34 am

Author Topic: Chain noise loud, Is it time for the replacement of this sprocket set?  (Read 6251 times)

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
IMG 20160330 130510
IMG 20160330 130510
« Last Edit: 31 March 2016, 03:55:23 am by yamasaki »
still like the old time rock n' roll

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Chain noise loud, Is it time for the replacement of this thing?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
Erm, i can't hear or see a thing?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Chain noise loud, Is it time for the replacement of this thing?
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2016, 09:35:25 pm »
你好 你好吗 有没有… 照片
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
sorry, now you should see it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I would say that that front sprocket is hooked and there fore needs replacing sharpish.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Man of few words, any chance of a bit more detail, we can't really look at a sound?
Although first impressions would indicate a replacement chain and sprockets wouldn't go amiss.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
It's also very clean looking in there, do you lubricate often Yamasaki? A dry chain will certainly sound clunky.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

yamasaki

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • - Bandit250VC
    • View Profile
I have lubricate it often, but it getting more noise this days, So I decide to open the sprocket cover to check it out, It seems it's the time to replace it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I have lubricate it often, but it getting more noise this days, So I decide to open the sprocket cover to check it out, It seems it's the time to replace it.

I think you do right Yamasaki  :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
You can *see* the front sprocket is hooked! Replace both and the chain right away  :eek

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
  :lol  WHAT HAPPENS IN WUZHOU STAYS IN WUZHOU
« Last Edit: 01 April 2016, 02:13:37 am by celticdog »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
You can *see* the front sprocket is hooked! Replace both and the chain right away  :eek

I looked at that a few times, but i reckon that's a strategically placed dollop of chain lube.

How can it be hooked in the wrong direction, it's the front sprocket that pulls the chain, rather than the chain pulling the sprocket?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

How can it be hooked in the wrong direction, it's the front sprocket that pulls the chain, rather than the chain pulling the sprocket?
It looks to me like the hook tips are pointing forward, the normal wear pattern for a front sprocket.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

It looks to me like the hook tips are pointing forward, the normal wear pattern for a front sprocket.

Really?
Well I've learned something new today, although I've not really put too much thought into it before to be honest. I just see hooks and presume it's fooked.  :lol

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
At the bottom of the page on this link is a handy way to check the chain wear:

http://bikegear.co.za/motorcycle-chain-and-sprocket-oiler/

I recommend using a 1/8th inch drill bit as a gauge. If you can insert the bit between the chain and the sprocket while the chain is under tension, it's time to replace it. I would not wait until the chain can be pulled back enough to see the tips.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

Really?
Well I've learned something new today, although I've not really put too much thought into it before to be honest. I just see hooks and presume it's fooked.  :lol

Correct that the front sprocket is pulling the chain,the sprocket rotates in an anticlockwise direction to drive the bike forwards, therfore wear on the sprocket will be on the right hand side of each U or trough  of the sprocket......so if the hooking is on the right hand side of the U....... as per pic and hooks are pointing towards direction of travel (anticlockwise) as per pic.......then that sprocket is knackered and a new set n chain is definitely needed!!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Really?

Correct that the front sprocket is pulling the chain,the sprocket rotates in an anticlockwise direction to drive the bike forwards, therfore wear on the sprocket will be on the right hand side of each U or trough  of the sprocket......so if the hooking is on the right hand side of the U....... as per pic and hooks are pointing towards direction of travel (anticlockwise) as per pic.......then that sprocket is knackered and a new set n chain is definitely needed!!!!

Yeah, it all makes sense now.  :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Sprocket Focced, :eek replacement definitely recommended and most likely the chain and rear sprocket also.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
I think that yamasaki is really one of us and its a wind up
fire never sleeps

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Front sprocket wears faster than the large one. Worn sprocket makes the chain wear faster. Since front one is not expensive, I'd change it "half way", without changing anything else, before it gets too worn.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
Hi peeps. if im not mistaken the sprocket nut in this pic is a 9 mill and should be upgraded to the 12