Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:29 pm

Author Topic: More Exup woes and cheap Exup Cables  (Read 1070 times)

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
More Exup woes and cheap Exup Cables
« on: 27 March 2016, 02:22:18 pm »
When checking my Exup for the first time the other day I was dismayed to find it's in quite a bad state. Only one of the 3 bolts holding on the cover was still there, other 2 broken off in the casing by the previous owner of the bike, it gets better, the two allen bolts that hold the actual Exup valve in the exhaust body are completely rounded off inside and so badly corroded I seriously think they will snap if I try and get them out. If that wasn't bad enough, I also noticed a significant amount of slack in both cables, so after spraying the pulley and cables with enough wd40 to cook an egg I decided to adjust the cables to take out this slack. More trouble followed, both the cables had obviously never been adjusted and were quite tight,a bit more wd40 I thought. I managed to slacken one off without too many swear words but the other alas no. As I began to adjust the cable the bloody thread on the adjuster snapped off inside the adjuster itself. As Mr Hugh Grant would say "bugger bugger bugger". I therefore have to replace the Exup cables now and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price. I did find a cheaper alternative on Flea Bay but I dont know much about them, are they worth a gamble ? :rolleyes
Any advice or help greatly appreciated  :'(

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
Re: More Exup woes and cheap Exup Cables
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2016, 03:53:50 pm »
There's some on ebay brooks barns,  item number  331760942781 £34 , don't know if they are genuine,  or any good , at that price worth a punt. I have a spare set in the shed, yours for £50 .
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: More Exup woes and cheap Exup Cables
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2016, 09:18:44 pm »
I've had some Wemoto 'SlinkyGlide' cables on mine for about 40k miles. they work, but they're not quite up to the originals in terms of build. But 50 quid for 40k miles isn't too bad and they haven't broken yet, they just needed a lot of adjustment to begin with whilst they bedded in and stretched a bit.