Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:59 am

Author Topic: Gear change??  (Read 1955 times)

JonathonBeedie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Gear change??
« on: 04 March 2012, 01:25:08 pm »
Hi!
After bit of advice....whilst riding the other day (pardon me if this is really lame) but i was able to change up gears, without using the clutch??? Is this normal on fazers? I had a 06 ninja prior to my fazer, and was told this was ok to do on a ninja....didnt know if same rules applied...i.e. being a different gearbox etck? I know my clutch cable needs replacing as its at end of its adjustment....and after the bike has been running for half an hour, there is a slight rattle at the clutch (which stops when u pull the lever in).....just after some info/advice/comments/mockery  :D

Cheers!

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gear change??
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2012, 02:51:36 pm »
As far as I know u can change up on any bike without using the clutch, although I don't think it's recommended at slow speeds. Im sure someone else will be along soon and give a more in depth answer.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2012, 04:22:37 pm »
You'll probably be told to avoid this sorta thing on the site, especially as 2nd gear often goes, but it can be done efficiently.

The higher the gear (but only @ certain revs), the easier it is to do clutchless upshifts - probably 3rd-6th. Any jerking & your timing is off, which will eventually wear the gearbox components.

Avoid clutchless downshifts

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
Yes, clutchless up-shifts are fine... even first gear to second if you can co-ordinate foot and throttle accurately, but it's safer to do it in higher gears.
As for your clutch cable, change it if you suspect it's worn or frayed... otherwise there is a second adjustment under the plastic bung in the final drive sprocket cover if you just want to get the lever adjuster wound in a bit more.

JonathonBeedie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2012, 05:28:02 pm »
Cheers everyone, wont panic now :) not a habit i have anyway, just so i know if i did i wouldnt be mashing gear box!

And as for cable replacement, got a dealer that owes me a favour so will be getting them.to do the necessary :)

Cheers 8)

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2012, 01:41:56 pm »
clutchless as much as poss' is faster and neater and you can't do any harm, hard on the throttle it won't or most unlikely to shift, just got to knock off a little and then snick up the gear, tho' 1st to 2nd is a bit harder especially on the Fazer as there's such 1st's so low gotta be in 2nd near immediately so I normally clutch that and forget it...... doing t'other way's not so easy I reckon partly due to the way around the gearchange is, had a reversed one on a previous bike and was ok going down too if you wanted, tho' generally what gear you're in isn't so important slowing, as if you're doing it right you've banged down 3 at once to the turn-in point, is what brakes are for.....