Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:11 am

Author Topic: Exup casing maintenance  (Read 2476 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup casing maintenance
« on: 17 March 2016, 09:22:53 pm »
Has anyone on here ever painted/hammerited the exup valve casing? I cleaned my bike tonight and it struck me that the rusty dirty casing is really letting things down, so I was thinking of putting some hammerite  on there, I was concerned it might chop off quickly though and look shabbier.

Has anyone done it and what sort of results/longevity did you get. It's really bugging me :o

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Exup casing maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2016, 10:28:54 pm »
I've been using copious amounts of ACF50 on mine, and although much of it probably burns off, it's yet to go rusty. On my Kwak turbo, the turbo unit looked like solid rust. Not really a problem, as it was a thick casing (it needed to be, as a turbo impeller spinning at something in the region of 200,000rpm would be proper lethal if it failed), but looked unsightly. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the stuff I painted it with (it was 30 years ago after all), but if they still do it, it'd be perfect for the job. Maybe someone will know it by the description: A thin, milky white liquid with a slight purplish tinge. Painted it directly onto the rusty turbo casing, and when dry it went a very dark bluish-purple, almost black, with a slightly glossy finish, and was as hard as rock. I think it was a rust neutraliser, as well as covering up the unsightliness. That's what I'd use. A turbocharger gets much hotter than a normal exhaust - glows bright red, and this treatment survived that extreme for many thousands of miles. Sure I just got it in a local car parts and accessories retailer at the time too.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2016, 10:45:49 pm »
Yeah I was thinking of some sort of high temp coating, wanted to try and avoid sprays where possible as I can't be arsed taking it off to paint it and it's in an awkward location. That's why I started thinking hammerite. Definately needs a wee spruce up before it goes properly rusty.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2016, 10:57:28 pm »
The stuff I'm thinking of Mick, wasn't a coating in the traditional sense. It was actually a rust treatment. I wasn't sure it'd survive the extreme heat when I applied it, but turned out it was more than adequate. I just applied it with a brush. Didn't look like it'd be any good, as it went on so thin, but when I came out to the bike next day, there was this hard black finish, and dirt just washed easily off it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2016, 11:10:15 pm »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2016, 11:26:04 pm »
Could be similar, but I've really no idea - it wasn't actually Loctite branded as far as I recall. Sorry, not much help  :o

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2016, 07:13:02 am »
I've used high-temp paint on mine in the past with decent results.  Also, regular painting with old engine oil - burns on to give a olive-brown sort of sheen.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2016, 07:18:16 am »
Vactan, great stuff. A white milky fluid when put of then goes black when dry.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2016, 10:11:30 am »
Vactan, great stuff. A white milky fluid when put of then goes black when dry.

I just looked that up, and it could well be what I used. Doesn't say anything about it being heat proof, but then I don't think the stuff I used said that on the container either.

The Loctite and this Vactan stuff are probably pretty much the same thing, just by different companies on further thought?
« Last Edit: 18 March 2016, 10:20:47 am by Hedgetrimmer »

Falco9

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2016, 11:30:48 am »
+1 on the high temp paint, spent time making sure the preparation was spot on and then applied numerous coats.

Still looks good 12 months later

F9
I've spent 40yrs riding motorcycles...............the rest I've wasted...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2016, 12:57:29 pm »
Hi Hedgetrimmer,
Pretty sure the rust treatment stuff was called Jenolite. Used gallons of it in the 80's on the underside of my old Mustang.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2016, 01:24:06 pm »