Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Diesels and Lawnmowers (Bike racing n things)

Young Riders Fund

(1/1)

Phil:
On another forum (www.motobanzai.com) we argued the toss and talked bollox about racing like everyone does. A members nephew raced in 125 and told us about the costs, £10 a litre for the control fuel etc,  so we decided to start a fund for us to put some cash into to help out. Its being going a while (5 years?)  and this year Niall Campbell and Josh Elliot are the riders we voted to help out, same as last year. The total amount raised is only a dip in the ocean but welcome by them nether the less.

Niall is in superstock 600s, last year he got a spot in Grant racing and with the extra help, Niall MacKenzie gave him some tips, improved all year. As a team they get passes to hand out and I've been given one a couple of times.   Grant racing also had MacKenzies son Tarren and Kyle Ryde in the same 'garage' last year at Silverstone and I was sat there watching them prepare as well.

Josh in superstock 1000, he was in Euro STK 600 the last 2 years. He got on pole at Brno 2010, but lobbed it during the race. Last year they struggled for funds and couldn't make to Imola. I caught up with them at Magny Cours and Josh's dad Jules found a pass for me. Their 'garage' was an awning on the side of their campervan and I chatted to them for a while as they made changes to the bike before the race on the Saturday. Then Simon Crafer walks in and introduces himself. He was working for the Kawasaki 250's series providing coaching for the riders, but had spotted Josh on track and had a bit of advice for him. Jules was saying the other riders had been to a trackday there the weekend before, so were well ahead on finding a setup. They didnt have the funds for that so he qualified well down and despite being involved in a collision in turn 1 still had a decent race.
This year due to costs they decided to race in the UK, STK1000, and got a ride with Primo Kawasaki before that went tits up when of the Primo owners was charged with drug offences. 1 week or so later they manage to get a ride with Carbontek who also run Dave Johnson.
http://youngridersfund.org/2012/02/29/elliott-back-on-the-grid-with-carbontek-four-angels-racing/

Getting behind the scenes was well worth the money I put in regardless of the free passes. Its been great meeting the riders and their dads, really nice people and gives extra interest to those classes following them.

Feel free to join in with any donations and more info here http://youngridersfund.org/, although I'm not sure what the deal with passes is this year as they are riding for teams and not on their own.
Theres also a link there for a subscription to Racer magazine, who are going to donate 12% if you subscribe from that link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version