Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: Coming back to the fold...possibly  (Read 2780 times)

cisco43

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Coming back to the fold...possibly
« on: 24 February 2016, 11:01:52 pm »
Yes, I left the World of Fazers after a happy marriage of 11+ yrs on a FZS600, and bought a Street Triple, Gen 2.
Was a good bike but a) would have liked more practicability, & b) some dirty toerags decided to alleviate me from the pain of ownership...thieving shites

So here I am, wondering do I buy a Fazer 8.
Last time I rode one, this was my opinion, 'not very exciting, fine, nothing more, nothing less'
I do need to have another ride, but am I totally wrong?
I kinda hope so as was so happy with my old 600.
I'm going to have another test ride, and am keeping my fingers crossed that my previous critique was unduly harsh. 

I've also seen one that price is pretty good, but its high miles, 28,000, looks quite well looked after, but that is pretty high.
Anyone have any advice?

Secondly, I was thinking about the MT07, I have also previously ridden one of those, thought its a great price, but didn't wow me, & thought at the time it would be a great beginner bike.
See it's won a few awards, so maybe try and have another ride on that as well   

Then there's the Tiger 800...choices choices
« Last Edit: 24 February 2016, 11:04:17 pm by cisco43 »

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Coming back to the fold...possibly
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2016, 08:48:53 pm »
After riding a Street Triple I think you will find the Fazer8 maybe a little bland in direct comparison. I know, I traded in my Street Triple for a Fazer8! But, it is a far better all rounder. I bought mine in July 2010 has got nearly 45,000 miles on it, without any issues apart from I got fed up with the soft rear suspension which got worse after a couple of years so got an aftermarket Ohlins.

I wouldn't be concerned about 28,000 miles on the clock unless it has been neglected in any way. FSH is a must.

How old is the Fazer8 and what is the price.

cisco43

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2016, 10:16:53 pm »

Before I bought the Street Triple, I tested loads of bikes, (including the Fazer 8) and none came close to my trusty FZS600

But my old bike suffered bad in the cold and was due a load of work.

The Triple was the only bike that actually excited me, but funny enough, when I owned it, I missed the practicality of my Fazer,
and I don't ride like a speed demon, (well not most of the time anyway) and have no wish to add points, so a more sedate ride is alright by me

The bike I was looking at is from 2012, wants £3500, & does look in good nick. 
What do you reckon?

I am also wondering about the MT07, add a box and a screen, could work for me.
It's popular so when it comes to selling, could be a safer bet than an older higher miled discontinued Fazer 8???

Any thoughts?

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2016, 07:28:09 am »
I've no idea about prices on the Fazer8.
If you are going to keep the new bike for 11+ years like the old Yamaha I wouldn't worry too much about selling it. If you plan to keep it for just a few years the Fazer8 would be harder to shift on as there would be a load of MT07/09 on the secondhand market by then. The Fazer8 wasnt a popular bike in the first place. I'd guess its not on the dirty toerags hit list of bikes to steal though. Is that a selling point  :lol
From what I've read, the MT07 would be more fun to ride.

cisco43

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2016, 12:00:59 am »

Cheers
Have to say, strongly leaning towards MT07 /09

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2016, 07:31:27 am »
Here's one to compare with .....

http://www.ianbellmotorcycles.com/locator/588412/2011-yamaha-fazer-8-800cc.aspx

I always found my FZ8 to be very comfortable, flexible and easy to ride. If you wanted a sedate pace then ride at the lower end of the rev range and if you wanted to push on a bit then stick 3-4000 revs on - the motor was smooth and handling was never an issue once the original tyres had been replaced with something a tad more grippy. A decent shock also helped.

A vastly under-rated motorbike in my opinion.

Still a pupil at the school of life ....

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2016, 12:38:50 pm »
Gotta agree with Surfbud.
Had the 600 Fazer and two gen 1 Fazer Thou's. Looked at loads of bikes when I decided to downsize a bit.  I'v e had the Fazer 8 for three and a half years now, the longest I have ever kept a bike.
It does everything I want and in reality is a great combination of the 600 and the thou. Pity it is under-rated, each to his own, but I ain't changeing it for some time to come yet!
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.