Date: 24-04-24  Time: 06:13 am

Author Topic: 2nd attempt at a big bike, 1st time with a Fazer  (Read 2386 times)

James

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
2nd attempt at a big bike, 1st time with a Fazer
« on: 24 February 2016, 02:28:46 pm »
2nd time I've bought a big bike - been spending most of my time trundling around on a Suzuki EN-125. Last attempt was a Suzuki GS500 which I had for a grand total of 2 days before someone decided to pull out in front of me. Sent me back to the 125 until the insurance coughed up. Picked up a 2001 FZS600 last night.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd attempt at a big bike, 1st time with a Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2016, 02:31:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum, great choice of bike! Only one problem, you've bought one of the really slow ones, it's blue!  :lol
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, great choice of bike! Only one problem, you've bought one of the really slow ones, it's blue!  :lol

That is so true Harry about the blue ones but lets just say thank foc he didn't buy a red pre foxeye red one they don't normally start lol :fish [size=78%] [/size]

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2016, 06:35:36 pm »
2nd time I've bought a big bike - been spending most of my time trundling around on a Suzuki EN-125. Last attempt was a Suzuki GS500 which I had for a grand total of 2 days before someone decided to pull out in front of me. Sent me back to the 125 until the insurance coughed up. Picked up a 2001 FZS600 last night.

Did you thank the driver who pulled out on you? He did you a favour  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2016, 07:05:12 pm »
Welcome to the Foccers James,
As Harry said 'a great choice of bike'
I was off motorcycles from 1976 until 2012 when I bought my FZS 600 Foxeye 2003.
I honestly think it is the best all rounder I have ever ridden, It's 40MPH faster than the 650 BSA Super Rocket I had back in the late 60's, Handles as good as, if not better than the Featherbed framed Norton Dominator 99 I rode for a few years. The 0-60 is approaching 4 seconds, if you are man enough to put the rubber down (I am not, these old bone will not bounce like they did in the 60's)
Change the oil and filter at regular intervals, keep your eye on the brake calipers (especially the rear) as they sometimes stiffen up and will seize if not maintained. It is an easy job to do teh calipers, you don't need to undo the brake fluid banjo union so no need to bleed the brakes afterward, once the caliper is off do not operate the brake pedal without you place a bit if timber about 3/4 inch thick between the pads or you will push the pistons right out of the caliper ending in one hell of a mess and a b------d of a job pushing them back in. lube up the brake pad pins and springs with copper-slip also smear a little copper-slip on the back of the pads where they contact the pistons, you might find that there are anti-rattle springs between the back of the pads and the caliper pistons if so a little copper-slip either side of them.

I love my Fazer FZS and I'm sure you will love yours (Even if it's blue) lol.
I have mates that have 1K Aprillias and a couple of mates that have 1K or bigger Kwackers, sure than can pull away from me on the straights, but, get onto windy roads and the are shocked how well that Fazer goes and handles, they don't lose me through the country roads and lanes.

I have seen videos on YouTube of FZS600's doing speeds of 140MPH plus I have had mine up to 130mPH then I thought my ass was about to fall through the seat of my pants so dropped back to a sensible 95.

Be interesting to hear what speeds other FZS 600 riders have managed. obviously on the track, cos we all know that 70 is all you can do on the roads.       

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2016, 07:06:48 pm »

Hedge you are a wag  :angel

James

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2016, 07:54:21 pm »
I agree. Although being sentenced to another year on the 125 whilst waiting for insurance to pay out wasn't ideal

James

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2016, 07:55:34 pm »

I agree. Although being sentenced to another year on the 125 whilst waiting for the insurance to pay out wasn't ideal

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2016, 12:19:31 am »

I agree. Although being sentenced to another year on the 125 whilst waiting for the insurance to pay out wasn't ideal

Hey James better a year on a 125cc than a year in a wheelchair mate. It could have been a lot worse  :fish :fish

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2016, 07:28:48 am »
Hey James better a year on a 125cc than a year in a wheelchair mate. It could have been a lot worse  :fish :fish
Sure could have been, I've not been able to ride for the past 6 months after some numpty knocked me off  :rolleyes
Welcome to the club James, now get some pics up!  :D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2016, 12:25:53 am »
Sorry to hear that Freck, hope your all mended and ready for SUMMER yeahhhhhhh! :thumbup
Your bike survive?  :look :look