Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:29 pm

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 3065 times)

Dimitis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Help Please
« on: 09 February 2016, 06:52:33 pm »
I had a slight problem starting my Fazer (2004) on new years day, which ended with the bike at the mechanic and a hefty bill for jump stating the bike and changing the spark plugs. Since then the Fazer is misbehaving badly, the fuelling is not right, it is snatchy, it sounds like the bike runs on 3 cylinders, the fuel consumption is off the scales (14lit for 70 miles!!!) and lately it didn't hold tic over. I changed the battery, oil and oil filter and it looked that the issue was fixed but this morning the first symptoms started to appear again, the response feels snatchy again and when down sifting the dash shows that the rpm are 0. I have only done 60miles since the battery change.
Anybody has any idea to what is causing the problem? can a faulty rectifier be the cause? Am I seeing the last days of my engine  :'( , mind that my beloved :faz has 85000miles on the clock.    

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2016, 07:19:30 pm »
Looks to me like faullty Throttle position sensor (TPS), you need to read this:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-fz6r/7320-throttle-position-sensor-issues-you-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?
  • Stalling
  • Irregual idle
  • RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
  • Drop in fuel Mileage
  • Poor Throttle Response

How to test the TPS:
 Quote:  Originally Posted by Megatron  To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
 With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

« Last Edit: 09 February 2016, 07:20:36 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2016, 04:45:15 am »
there was a recall on TPS I think it was in 2006, had mine checked/changed.
I've got a bigger problem starting mine now.

Dimitis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2016, 09:57:43 pm »
Thank you. I will make a call to my nearest dealer. I don't know if this was already done on my Fazer. Hope not, as it is a £50 part at eBay plus the mechanics cost.

helmetvonthrob

• DAS Born Again
  • STOP TELLING ME TO STAY CALM!
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - Bandit 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2016, 11:54:50 pm »
Call Yamaha UK with your VIN.

I spoke with a guy there who thought my bike should have been done but checked and set it hadn't so had the part sent to a Yamaha dealer, cost me nothing.
Just think how stupid the "average" person is.  Isn't it a worry that statistically approximately 50% of the population are thicker!

Dimitis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2016, 01:50:04 pm »
Update:

I called my local dealer and was diverted to Yamaha UK because my FZ6 is an import. Thankfully Yamaha checked and confirmed that the modification was not done on my bike. Another call to the dealer and 2 weeks later, plus 45min, and job done!! :lol :lol :lol  The FZ6 seem to deliver more power from low revs and the sound changed  :evil :lol .

A downpour later and the dial reads Error 33, which translates to cylinders 1+4 ignition coil failure!!! Apparently the mechanic that changed the spark plugs in January didn't place the seals properly to cylinder 4, causing the coil to fail!!! :thumbdown [size=78%] (Frog autos for anyone interested to avoid). Good thing I manage to change the coil yesterday and bring the Fazer back to life after an operation that lasted until 03:00pm!! A test run will be performed today to confirm my efforts as I manage to lost an alen key somewhere between the frame and the front of the battery housing. [/size]

Thank you all for your help, I would never have pick it up with the TPS and the mechanic was more than willing to rip me off big time!!

PS: Being known to heve the dirtiest Fazer ever  :o [/size][size=78%], I would like to informed that I have now picked up the sport of cleaning it  [/size] :D :thumbup [/size][size=78%] so no more police stops [/size] :stop  [/size][size=78%]for my bike being too dirty to read the number plate. [/size]
[/size][size=78%] 
 [/size]

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
+1 for the TPS recall heads up on the FZS.. Yamaha UK couldnt have been more helpful. New part fitted FOC on my 05..  :)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2016, 02:51:06 pm »
Ooh, didn't know about this recall either. Put my VIN into Yam website and it says Im affected.

Gona get in touch with local dealer now.

Might as well try if it doesnt cost anything :)

Cheers.