Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 400 and other models

clutch slip problem

(1/2) > >>

yamasaki:
Hey guys, My fazer 400 clutch slips a little when I pull the machine to high rpm, the engine roar but the speed raise up slowly. I don't know what cause the problem,  i have check the clutch disc, but it is Ok for use. only a little black color on one of the steel disc. And I have check the clutch spring, I don't know if it's pressure is still OK for working, will it be the springs pressure problem cause slip? don't wanna waste extra money to buy parts before I find out what cause the slip. Guys give me some tips, thank you very much.

His Dudeness:
As a starting point try slackening the cable. If it's too tight the clutch can slip. Did you measure the thickness of the plates? Are you using car oil by any chance? How long since your last oil change?

yamasaki:

--- Quote from: His Dudeness on 31 January 2016, 07:12:56 pm ---As a starting point try slackening the cable. If it's too tight the clutch can slip. Did you measure the thickness of the plates? Are you using car oil by any chance? How long since your last oil change?

--- End quote ---
Hello Dudeness, thanks for your reply. I've try to slacken the cable, but it's useless. I'm using 20w50 oil before but already change it to 10w40 semi-syntheic oil 2 days ago, but still useless.  I will try to measure the thickness of the plates later, you mean the steel disc or the paper plates?

His Dudeness:
Hi. Have a look at the two workshop manuals. Page 2-6 on the 400 manual and page 2-6 on the 600 that'll tell you what to measure and the limits. Be careful when you're assembling the clutch you can easily snap a bolt in the basket or damage the basket. Are you using car oil or motorbike oil? Car oil has friction reducers in it to increase mpg but bikes have wet clutches so it can make the clutch slip. I had clutch slip on my 400 and it was worn plates.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=20

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8

Fazerider:

Note that the clutch adjustment is not only altered at the handlebar end of the cable.
If the adjuster on the side of the sprocket cover is set too tight the clutch can slip no matter how slack the cable is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version