Date: 18-04-24  Time: 09:48 am

Author Topic: Best Tent for camping/touring?  (Read 6035 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Best Tent for camping/touring?
« on: 28 January 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
2 man tent ? Obviously needs to be compact/tail friendly. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on this?
Thanks as always
Toby

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tent for camping/touring?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2016, 03:04:15 pm »
Depends on how long you want it to last. I've got a Lidl tent which I've owned for nearly 20 years which is pretty good although the entrance could be better designed. Our family tent is a Hi Gear one and is Ok but I don't think the groundsheet will last for more than about 5 years.

Probably your best bet is to go to somewhere like Go Outdoors and see what they have. The usually have an area where te tents are pitched so you get to have a lie in one. Also you see them in the bags so you get an idea about packed size and weight. Obviously the higher the static head, the more waterproof a tent is. Again it depends on when you envisage using it.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
A tent with 4 walls, running water and heating/air conditioning would be my choice.

allows you to get a good night sleep, not have to pile the bike up with crap and the ability to dry your gear if needed.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2016, 04:05:52 pm »
Ended up with half a dozen tents - all different sizes and they've all got merits depending on:-
#1. Is it just me and how many nights.
#2. Me + wife and how many nights.

Purchased from a range of places (Tescos, Morrisons, Lidl etc)
Even bought one from Go-Outdoors. That things so frigging heavy it doesn't go on the bike, but in the boot of the Merc, with the gas cooker, chairs, duvets.......... :lol

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2016, 05:09:12 pm »
Tried several different ones, by far the best is the Vango omega 250, it's light packs away quiet small fits in my E60 panniers, pitches in about 15mins has a decent size porch area to stash all your gear & most importantly has never leaked & trust me it's been tested

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2016, 05:44:28 pm »
The vango turini 200 is designed for bikers. a bit pricey but you can get one for about £140. It depends on what your touring plans are .My advise would be to buy a cheap one and have a go then see what you need and dont need.I take the kitchen sink myself but then i need some creature comforts at my ripe old age :lol
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2016, 07:46:29 pm »
My only advice is always purchase a tent at least one birth larger than you require
The larger tent will only be fractionally bigger packed but the extra space when up transforms camping
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

trudd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Sprint 1050ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2016, 07:48:04 pm »
I have a Khyham Biker and while it's a great tent, really easy to pitch and there is plenty of room I wasn't impressed with the size of it when packed.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2016, 09:08:55 pm »
Got an ancient Saunders GC2, it's designed for backpackers and weighs next to nothing and goes up in a couple of minutes. Only problem is my wife keeps borrowing the pegs for holding garden netting down...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2016, 09:29:03 pm »
My only advice is always purchase a tent at least one birth larger than you require
The larger tent will only be fractionally bigger packed but the extra space when up transforms camping

I agree with this entirely. I have a "three person" tent which would, theoretically, fit three people, but with no room for any gear or space to move. However there's plenty of space for just me and my gear and a porch section for muddy boots. It packs up to about 18" long and 8" around, so easily bungees onto the back seat.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2016, 12:06:32 am »
A tent with 4 walls, running water and heating/air conditioning would be my choice.

allows you to get a good night sleep, not have to pile the bike up with crap and the ability to dry your gear if needed.
:lol  I'm glad I'm past it, camping that is. Been there done that, it's okay if the weather's dry and sunny. If it's not it's a constant battle to keep things dry, not fun. Leave it to the young 'uns get me a nice hotel or B&B everytime. I'm not saying camping's not fun but it's a bit sore on the old bones now. Many a young Lass used to love a bit of camping back in the day, two to a sleeping bag Happy Memories :) . Seriously If you're planning to do a lot of time under canvas buy the best you can afford.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2016, 09:42:00 am »

I agree with this entirely. I have a "three person" tent which would, theoretically, fit three people, but with no room for any gear or space to move. However there's plenty of space for just me and my gear and a porch section for muddy boots.

Totally agree with the above. After advice on here a few years back I got a Khyam Highlander quick erect tent which serves me well. The poles are contained in the tent fly sheet structure and just flip into place (after a bit of practice). They say it can be erected in 30 seconds but my record is about three minutes. It is classed as a two/three man tent but is just right as one man and gear. With two there is just enough room to move about but no room for your gear in the main part. I also got the extra ground sheet for that tent which give more protection from rough ground and also gives you ground cover in the porch area. It also nicely marks out the floor plan before erecting the tent. A bit long when packed at 32" (80cm) but still within width of panniers when strapped to back seat in front of top box.
I'm not likely to be changing it soon but if I did I would maybe go for the Khyam Biker tent instead, just for the extra porch area.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2016, 11:24:05 am »
I use Vango tents out of personal choice as they are well made I got a 3 man tent as others have said gives me room for me plus and kit.

true test coming this weekend as its meant to be blowing a hoolie!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2016, 06:44:56 pm »
My tips are:

Make sure you get one you can sit up in. My tent is slightly too small for that.

Get some cheap tarp to go under the groundsheet as all tents seem to have really thin ones which could let water through or wear very quickly if you camp on stoney ground, like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECONOMY-TARPAULIN-TARP-LIGHTWEIGHT-WATERPROOF-GROUND-SHEET-COVER-GREAT-VALUE-/400270626376

Take a small fold up stool to sit on, makes a difference if you have to cook on wet ground.

Theres loads of tips in this thread  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,11421.0.html

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2016, 10:42:42 pm »
If heading for France may I suggest Campanile hotels reasonably priced and usually dry .
I bought a £20 Tesco 2 man tent was okay for a one off week away, but for me now it is a budget hotel while touring.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2016, 06:40:46 pm »
lots of these there this weekend
http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=335&product=Biker Quick Erect Tent
some took 2 people to pitch because of the wind!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2016, 09:00:29 am »

Agrees wholeheartedly the best make is called B&B, you get stairs, double duvet, bath/shower, cooked evening meal. Central heating thrown in. And you don't spend 45 mins in the pissing rain putting it up and taking it down, and bike not loaded down with poles, pegs, mallets, cooking stove and containers full of water. No you may have guessed I'm not a camper.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2016, 09:44:06 pm »
At the Kickstart this weekend, I took and pitched (sucessfully) a tent I bought from Morrisons 8 years ago.
Not the most wind friendly tent, but it survived, again. Cost £50.
Packs onto most racks.

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2016, 07:29:54 pm »
I haven't camped with motorbikes but have with push bikes.

My tent is similar in design to the Vango Tempest and while the tent can cope with very bad weather it's unpleasant to be inside it as I can only sit up at one end, it's fine when the weather is good and I could cook outside. Of course if you plan to eat in pubs and just need to sleep in it then the design is light.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2016, 10:42:40 pm »
You could always go without a tent and pull someone with one.
Get to work quickly though or you may find yourself in bed with a swamp donkey in the morning
Not that's happened to me .... Ahem
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2016, 04:11:52 pm »
generally a tent called "Hotel" is usually the best option.