Date: 16-04-24  Time: 08:36 am

Author Topic: Anybody got rid of the EXUP Valve and lived to tell the tale ?  (Read 16987 times)

will6576

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gen 1 and 2 Busa
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody got rid of the EXUP Valve and lived to tell the tale ?
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2019, 06:20:07 pm »
Had major problems with the bike, was fully ivanised over 10 years ago and was getting around 95 miles before light came on and other gear changing problems so decided to take the whole thing back to stock,
New carbs, oem air filter etc,  Someone decided to play around with the carbs and air fuel settings were between 6 half turns to 7 three quarters!
Next job was to sort my exup out, all the bolts on the valve were seized and rounded, i managed to take whole exhaust off including Radiator, the exup pulley at valve disintegrated also the cables were frayed to 50%,
Headers were horrendously corroded at the manifold so costed it all up to replace and went with Black widow headers and delkevic link pipe and can,
Took all the cables up to the servo out and cleaned servo leaving it attached,
Result????
Well happy with the result, been out twice and a hardly noticeable change between 3k to 4k at all and sounds a lot better too, Looks good also and with my new Fazer Rad cover lol...
No more Exup woes for me or paranoia any more, a mate of mine with a same year fazer has ridden it today and really liked the different character the bike now has, Power too!
I believe after tonnes of research that if you have a modified bike then this wont work for you, these Black widow headers are only designed for stock bikes only,
I do hope that this helps anyone  :rollin
« Last Edit: 12 January 2019, 06:24:26 pm by will6576 »

plasma

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2019, 10:59:34 am »
Had major problems with the bike, was fully ivanised over 10 years ago and was getting around 95 miles before light came on and other gear changing problems so decided to take the whole thing back to stock,
New carbs, oem air filter etc,  Someone decided to play around with the carbs and air fuel settings were between 6 half turns to 7 three quarters!
Next job was to sort my exup out, all the bolts on the valve were seized and rounded, i managed to take whole exhaust off including Radiator, the exup pulley at valve disintegrated also the cables were frayed to 50%,
Headers were horrendously corroded at the manifold so costed it all up to replace and went with Black widow headers and delkevic link pipe and can,
Took all the cables up to the servo out and cleaned servo leaving it attached,
Result????
Well happy with the result, been out twice and a hardly noticeable change between 3k to 4k at all and sounds a lot better too, Looks good also and with my new Fazer Rad cover lol...
No more Exup woes for me or paranoia any more, a mate of mine with a same year fazer has ridden it today and really liked the different character the bike now has, Power too!
I believe after tonnes of research that if you have a modified bike then this wont work for you, these Black widow headers are only designed for stock bikes only,
I do hope that this helps anyone  :rollin

This is interesting, before I decided to sell my Fazer (after buying a new bike) I was considering this option but I couldn't find any legit reviews on the headers. My bike hasn't been ivanised and the exup valve has been pinned open since well before I owned it (nobody told me). The only thing I notice is slight 'hunting' around 3k but otherwise the bike is very smooth with a good power delivery. If I keep the bike then this is an option I might visit.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2019, 01:06:40 pm »
When I bought my bike the valve was stuck, I was going to the south of france when the 7k error code showed up. No time to sort it. I didn't notice any problems. Must have been stuck in the closed position I spos, fixed now . I got a new / second hand valve and cover. I think in normal use you can get away with it, nice to have stuff working right though.