Date: 25-04-24  Time: 06:33 am

Author Topic: Spark plugs again  (Read 2238 times)

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Spark plugs again
« on: 02 March 2012, 06:43:24 pm »
Ok I was going to post on the other thread but it was to long and mostly an argument. One of my plugs (plug 1) is in at a different angle if only slight. It maybe that the thread has been stripped. Now the bike runs as per normal with no blowing around the plug.

Question

Has anyone had to re- thread a plug hole and is it expensive. On the last thread the starter stated a plug had snapped in his! Did you have to re thread or did you get it out. Is there any point in re threading if no blowing and the bike runs like normal. ?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Spark plugs again
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2012, 07:21:39 pm »
I had a problem recently with plug 4 on mine - all the plugs came out but the new one wouldnt go back in. Ended up taking it to a garage and had a helicoil put in - cost me £50 including them to come out and pick the bike up (was about £30 in actual work) and it was done in 3 or 4 hours :)

Since plug 1 is on the outside of the engine (like plug 4 according the the labels on mine) then there shouldn't be a huge fuss about having to get the engine out etc and labour costs should be reduced.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2012, 07:44:55 pm »
Thanks dude.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2012, 09:29:08 pm »
Having spoken to a mate who does his own work he feels that a helicoil may not be best in an environment that generate this much heat. He feels that it is a good quick fix but he is also a perfectionist with mechanical work. This is not to dis the last post which is mucho appreciated. But there maybe others that won't to throw in there two pence worth.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2012, 09:36:39 am »
I'm afraid my technical expertise isn't fantastic - I'm still learning :P This is just what happened to mine when I took it to my local mechanics, they only deal with bikes and have been great so far

Did your friend say why a helicoil is a bad idea in a high temperature environment? I'm just curious now :)

By the way, no offence taken. Its a forum and the whole point is for everyone to contribute their opinions and experiences

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
As he explained it to me and I'm not technical either
 is this. The helicoil is a spring. The cylinder is bored out ( this should be done with the head off in case any bits fall in) with the new thread that is now larger than the spark plug. The coil is now threaded into the hole and the plug placed in. I think maybe he was thinking of expansion/contraction and working loose.

He mentioned another method but I can remember the name. I think in effect you bore the hole out and put a new thread in. This in some way is a more permanent method.

Now that really was not a technical explanation. When I next talk to him I will get the better answer.

sausageroll

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2012, 01:23:56 pm »
Some info, perhaps better than helicoil but still need to remove the head http://www.timesert.co.uk/time-sert.php

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
Yes just spoke to my mate and that's what he recommends