Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:11 am

Author Topic: Oh Crap!  (Read 4225 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Oh Crap!
« on: 23 December 2015, 11:58:27 pm »
Went in to the Side attic of my dormer to get the Christmas decoration  a few days ago and saw this.
Oh Crap! Air went blue while I was in there.
The local building maintenance man tells me the wind dislodged the ridge tiles and will cost €2500 to €3000 to fix as long as the roof timbers are ok. Would not tell me what it would cost if the roof timbers are Focced. Foc, Foc, Foc  :'( Hope my insurance covers it  :rolleyes Foc, foc, foc and double Foc :grumble

Insurance assessor to contact me next week.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Crap!
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2015, 12:08:10 am »
That must be his special Christmas rate... €2500 to cement a few ridge tiles?  :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2015, 12:31:36 am »
No, when  he was checking the ridge tiles quite a number are loose and all the valley pointing is focced  8 tiles which had slipped in to the valley. It is going to need more than just pointing. They may need to remove the old mortor and rebed all the tiles.
The fact the roof is at a 45 degree angle and 26 foot high does not help reduce the cost :'(

L shaped dormer with 2 Valleys, a 48 foot long roof with a further 18 feet on the L section

House is 28 years old and this is the first problem I ever had with the roof.

We are up high and very exposed, so much so that Velux had to add pieces to the end of the Velux windows to prevent water being blown up through the frames. Something they only do in northern Scotland and a few places in southern Ireland.
When I built it in 1988 the Engineer insisted that every tile was nailed, not every third row as normal at the time.

Tiles rattle like a machine gun in certain wind conditions, foccing scary sh1t first time we heard it.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2015, 01:18:24 am »
Looks quite recent dampness there so hopefully not penatraded through.

I had to fix a tile or two that came loose on my dad's roof, not very easy to do, only had to slide them in but as I'm not too keen on heights it wasn't funny being on the roof with a two storey fall to the ground :b
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2015, 06:43:37 am »
did a few repairs to my roof this year,at 28 years the felt is probably coming to the end of its life,mines gone hard and brittle and was cracked in places,think carb inlet rubbers on a 600  ;) .did a patch repair for now  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2015, 07:05:50 am »
did a few repairs to my roof this year,at 28 years the felt is probably coming to the end of its life,mines gone hard and brittle and was cracked in places,think carb inlet rubbers on a 600  ;) .did a patch repair for now  ;)

Bit of silicon and some amalgamating tape and the roof will be as good as new Red.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2015, 09:14:39 am »
Feccin hell, I am getting worried now. The roof on my house, as far as I can tell, is the original one from when the house was built in 1962.
All the houses up my street are the same, I have only seen one house having work done to their roof in the 15 years I have lived here.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2015, 09:53:57 am »
Well it is weather related damage toss it over to the insurance company and let them deal with it. Good luck.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2015, 11:03:26 am »
At 28 years old there will be nothing wrong with your timbers also yes that type of roof felt does go chrispy after a while I have the same at 50 years old, if I was to poke it sharply then I could put a hole into it --- so I dont poke it.
At the end of 2013 I lost 8 ridge tiles from wind damage and took it as a warning and had that whole hip run and top taken off and re set.
Now the whole roof was not 50 years old because 7 years ago we had an extension to sharp hall and me thinking it a good idea to take the opportunity to re set all the ridge tiles, and that was my mistake because the roofer was shit and the mixture was far too weak and ended up turning to something like chalk, I had been battling flaking -blowing cement up there for at least a year.
Your valley sounds the same.
I did a lot of research and asking roofers and this is what I found.
Ridge tiles need a very strong mix, something like 1-3 and not only that, the best mix is to also use sharp sand in the mix, so 2 sand 1 sharp sand 1 cement, or even 50/50 sharp/normal sand.
So one of the problems on a build is that sometimes the roofer just uses the mix that the brickies are using which will be 1-5 with no sharp sand which leads to yours and my problem.
I have since had the rest of sharp halls ridge tiles taken off and re bed and to every roofer I asked for a quote from, my question was "what mix do you like to use"
About 5 years ago we also had a single story extension to sharp hall which was suffering with the same soft flaking ridge tile mortor, so last year I did the focer myself - took off all the ridge tiles and 2 valley tiles and reset in 1-3 but all sharp sand. And took the time to spray the tiles with water so as to not suck all the moisture out of the cement too quick.
One of the reasons that quote can be more than you thought is that you will have to have scaffold which is adding something like 500-700 onto the cost.   

After years of accepted methods, the build regs have changed to say that mortor only ridge tiles are not to be used - so they must also have a macinacal  fixing (screw or band system )
or be 100% dry fixing

Oh and another thing, roofers push up some of your tiles to expose the roofing laths which gives them some steps to stand on, then what happends is their big clumsy size 9s toes pokes holes through your brittle roofing felt  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 24 December 2015, 11:22:41 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2015, 11:29:07 am »
Well it is weather related damage toss it over to the insurance company and let them deal with it. Good luck.
Admiral insurance says that wind damage has to be attributed to a met office recognized storm with sustained speeds of xxxx and gusts of xxxx. And so anything else is just wear and tear and not covered.
I wasn't with admiral at the time but my damage was when the rest of the country got battered and the insurance comp was so busy they just said anything up to £xxx just go ahead and do it and send us the bill.
If the ins/ass bothers to go up there he may well say its just shit mortor  :o .

What bug me is that only 8 of mine fell off but I had to pay for the rest to be redone BEFORE those too fell off. I have saved the insurance comp money because if I had of left it then I would be claiming again after the next storm. 
« Last Edit: 24 December 2015, 11:34:50 am by fazersharp »

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2015, 11:41:58 am »
in my opinion the timber looks fine,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2015, 01:28:43 pm »
Yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa.................... :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2015, 01:33:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments lads, much appreciated. We had Desmond and Eve to rattle the roof. Winds in excess of 60mph, highest gust near the Airport was 95mph and I am a mile from the Airport.

I think the timbers looked ok until I saw this, see pic, don't think it is serious but let the assesor make that call.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2015, 02:02:43 pm »
Diffacult to tell from piccies, but I think that will dry out ok....mine were rotten right at the ends where the guttering fixesand the water collects...I was able to trim the ends a replace with new.....good luck with your claim.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2015, 02:48:29 pm »
They are just a little wet - they will be fine.
When it happend to me I went up there and stuffed some plastic bags in to stop the rain getting in until it was sorted. Also check to see if it is finding a path and dripping on to your insulation and put a bucket there
« Last Edit: 24 December 2015, 02:52:29 pm by fazersharp »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2015, 03:43:11 pm »
Fazersharp, Yes dishes and buckets up there, I stapled pieces of plastic/cloth to the timbers in some places to make sure the water dripped where I wanted it to go. Since the builder and carpenter relocated the tiles the water flow has reduced considerably.

The area where the Mould/Mildew is, seems solid  with a large knot which appears to be where it is emanating from. Carpenter says this would be normal with some Knots when they get wet.
Let the assessor say it's ok, then he is responsible if it becomes an issue later.

It was really funny watching  the two lads trying to get back through the 2 foot wide attic opening. Both are considerably larger than me, my L frame had no problem as opposed to their XXL frames. :lol

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 December 2015, 07:02:50 pm »
I had the same thing a few years ago after a recognised storm.
I had a roofer round who quoted me £2500 for replacing and repointing the ridge tiles. Similar issue with my timbers aswell. They also said I needed the roof sarking replaced aswell.

Contacted the Insurance Company who sent an assessor who said whilst it was caused by a storm it was fair wear and tear and it was my responsibility to check that my ridge tiles were in good condition prior to the storm....how the f!*k can I do that......in other words pay for it yourself.
My premiums also went up the next year because I had "enquired" about a claim  >:

I then contacted a few other roofers who advised the first roofer was just milking it they all came in at between £800-£1200 to do the same job.
Worth getting a 2nd/3rd opinion if your insurance will not pay out.

RobG UK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 December 2015, 09:11:43 pm »
Next door had hers done about 3 months ago.  Cost 1100 but that was cos of the scaffolding needed.  Been loose (one was hanging on simply cos it was caught on the guttering) since we moved in a year ago but she couldn't afford to do them.  We got her a PPI payout and she got them done so bonus all round :)