Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:40 pm

Author Topic: In Desperate need of help starting up!  (Read 2048 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
In Desperate need of help starting up!
« on: 27 February 2012, 05:32:24 pm »
Hey guys, the last few times ive been out for a ride ive been finding that the bike wont start, luckily ive been out with friends so all able to give me a push!
the problem is its making this funny noise, ive had new batteries and all the electrics are working.... anyways ive found this short video on YOUTUBE and this is exactly what it sounds like although it isnt my bike.....
ANY IDEAS  :\

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nakii7BJCR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: In Desperate need of help starting up!
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2012, 06:10:10 pm »
Sounds like a fooked start motor to me, is the battery fully charged? Have you tried bumping it off in second gear?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2012, 06:26:52 pm »
Nah, the noise is the relay cycling (due to insufficient juice from the battery), nowt to do with starter motor.

Is there an alarm, or other drain on the battery while you're not using the bike?

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2012, 06:50:01 pm »
i was thinking starter motor too, the battery seems to be fine, its charges and my lights etc work plus it was a new battery 6months ago, yes i have Datatool alarm/immobaliser
it starts if i bump start it but when u cut out alone on an up hill with luggage its a pain in the blinkin butt!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2012, 07:52:19 pm »
It certainly sounds like the starter relay to me too.
If the battery is fine then the problem may be poor electrical contact somewhere. Check all those connectors around the relay and in the plastic box under the tank. Any that don't feel firm when you push them together can be tightened by carefully squeezing the female connector with a pair of pliers, though to do this most of them will probably need to be popped them out of the plastic shroud. Do them one at a time to avoid getting them muddled up!
The poor contact may be the starter button itself, it's a pig to reassemble if you have to take it apart to clean the contacts... try squirting some WD40 up the drain holes at the bottom of the switch body first.
Good luck! :)

Mosser

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2012, 08:06:49 pm »
You need to measure the battery voltage with the ignition off (it should be over 12.5 volts)and then under load (whilst you are trying to start it), if its dropping below 8-9 volts, then the battery has had it and you need a new one (again!)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2012, 08:18:55 pm »
The fact the lights work, doesn't mean the battery is ok - when you thumb the starter, the starter relay closes, the starter motor takes a huge drain from the battery, which drops the voltage which can no longer hold the starter relay closed so it opens - the battery voltage returns, the relay closes again and repeat. The noise you're hearing, is the relay closing and opening.

That's what I reckon your problem is - and Mosser's tests will prove me right or wrong.

There's another potential reason for the relay to be cycling like this, and that's a dodgy connection, and for that, it's Fazerider's connection block testing / cleaning.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2012, 08:27:26 pm »
cheers for your help guys, im not off work till thurs so will have to have a look then :)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2012, 04:24:32 pm »
Aha!
ive been and had my battery and everything checked, we are looking at the Regulator/ Rectifier, the battery is fine but the second the lights come on it plummets below 10 so i cant ride with my lights at the moment, have bought a replacement from EvilBay and will see how it goes!

Will let you know once its here!

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2012, 09:17:18 pm »
easy way to test is connect another battery via jump leads (another bike bat is best) then try to start it if it works and you don't get the clicking then battery is shot. Alarms can eat batteries as can the cold if you can buy an optimate or similar and keep it plugged into the bike when not in use
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?