Date: 26-04-24  Time: 14:27 pm

Author Topic: Working over Christmas!!  (Read 5416 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Working over Christmas!!
« on: 04 December 2015, 07:50:19 am »

So the boss has sent an email out saying who is covering the 3 days between Christmas & New Year..
I work near Basingstoke & there are 4 of us that cover the support desk
I live in Falmouth (but with digs near Pompey),
Grant lives in Newcastle and rents a room in a pub near work,
Paul lives in Tewkesbury and commutes daily,
Scott lives in Sandhurst so has the shortest commute.

guess which 3 have all been told we have to work 1 day each between Christmas & New Year??
well it ain't Scott!!

oh & to top it off, we support military systems and checking with all 3 military service desks, they are all on leave from 18th December to 4th January!!!

now I'm not moaning about having to work, as I have done my time & have worked over Christmas / New Year. its just the fact that each of us that has to travel furthest have to come in for 1 day just to stare at a phone that won't ring as no one will be manning the other end!!

I even volunteered to divert the works phone to my mobile for the full period & if needed I could drive up but no,, we need to be in!!
oh n then manager asks if I know how to open up the secure areas... who do you think does it most mornings at least an hour before the boss arrives?

anyway anyone else working over the Christmas period? lol
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Re: Working over Christmas!!
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2015, 08:15:08 am »
I will be working 25th, 26th and 27th ,7am _ 7pm on my own as my colleague will be on holiday , and 30th ,31st , 7pm _ 7am , never worked it before , construction sites generally shut down for 2weeks , but thems the breaks , my kids are grown up now , I will be visiting mum and dad after work , could be mum's last Xmas , just gonna have to make the best of it .

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2015, 08:22:56 am »
I am working on the 29th, had to argue to get 31st off  even though I was scheduled for night shift that day!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2015, 08:38:31 am »
I dont really remember many xmas days that i've actually been off in the last 14 years.....5 years army as a "singly" so copped stag & on call duties & was always too far away from the folks home and then all my jobs since have involved working the period.......more recently 2 years ago i came off night shift xmas day morning & had 3 & a half days off which wasnt too bad........last year i was xmas day night shift & next year im xmas day day shift.

But this year............just so happens with the alignment of the moon and the stars that my usual rolling rota 14 days off is right over xmas woop woop woop!!!!...........up to scotlandsville via the lake district with the missus, dog & baby......much food, booze & enjoy time with the family.......baby is 11 months old & my gran still hasnt had the chance to meet her, my folks only seen her once..........sorry to rub it in Robbie but woop woop woop!

Got a cottage with a log fire not far from my folks bit.....we also all have a couple of luxury apartments in princess street for a night for the whole lot of us courtesy of my little sis, xmas market with fine grub & booze from around the world on offer......that's what xmas is about. 8)

& my phone will be getting switched off too........no surprise calls from work for me asking me to come in.....no thanks.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2015, 08:52:21 am »
I'm working all the way through apart from the weekends and bank holidays.
Our customer is mainly on holiday and all contractors , unless they have an urgent project that they are working on, have an enforced two week shutdown.

I think it will be quiet. Working from home, as per normal, too so will just be keeping an eye on the emails mainly.

I used to take the week between Christmas and New Year off every other year as the kids were home and others I worked with had kids too so we sort of shared it. Now, everyone is older and I want the time off at a time I can use it in France doing up the ruins we own over there.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2015, 09:20:28 am »
I've got Xmas eve, Boxing day in then both New years eve and New years day, focin food industry, just to get my back up even further, our products are all frozen with either 12 or 18 month shelf life, they shut down for Easter bank hols but not for Xmas, focin place

Saying that, this will be my 1st Xmas in 4 years so really shouldn't complain
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2015, 09:23:59 am »
Not me but the missus is working Christmas eve to 8pm Christmas day 7am-8pm and boxing day, my oldest daughter is a chef and is working all the way through, my other daughter will be at her boyfriends place - cause Mum is working. So I am all on my own  :guitar so Im going to do what I did a couple of years ago on Christmas day  :faz :woot
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2015, 09:56:44 am »
Noggy enjoy your time off! not rubbing it in, yeah dome my time with the Navy and been stitched for working Christmas / New Year. generally speaking they have been good days as the more Senior grown ups pop in with food & drink etc and its rude to refuse to share a beer or drop when a Captain (RN) offers! in fact I've been known to go in early & stal late on shift so the night shift guys get a decent time at home!

best ever was out in Afghan when the Brig stagged on on the tower & then main gate Christmas day!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2015, 10:33:45 am »
Im off from the 17th dec till the 11th jan :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin but do feel sorry for you guys who are working ive done it in the past and hated it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2015, 11:46:24 am »
I don't hate working over Christmas. Work is dead normally so why book time off to just get bored and pissed off with the family when you can save the leave for a time when you can actually use it usefully?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2015, 12:15:46 pm »
I work in Education so would be very quiet over xmas.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2015, 12:22:43 pm »
For the first time ever I'm working over Christmas, 30th & 31st.
Unusual for a car factory but it's double time plus two days off so I'd be a fool to say no. Or so the mrs says.

Can't complain though, last year I had 5 weeks off accrued holiday then two more weeks paternity leave.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2015, 02:02:25 pm »
I worked Boxing Day once... I swore I would never do it again. So far so good ;)

I'm off on holiday between the 19th and 23rd (as is basically our entire office) and then I'll maybe do a few bits and pieces up until Jan :D

Tangoman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX400C2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2015, 02:23:53 pm »
Normal on cal for work at some point over the Christmas for the last 20 years, but off from the 18th until the 4th happy days

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2015, 03:29:07 pm »
To Mr self destruct are you a JLR employee?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2015, 03:35:03 pm »

So the boss has sent an email out saying who is covering the 3 days between Christmas & New Year..
I work near Basingstoke & there are 4 of us that cover the support desk
I live in Falmouth (but with digs near Pompey),
Grant lives in Newcastle and rents a room in a pub near work,
Paul lives in Tewkesbury and commutes daily,
Scott lives in Sandhurst so has the shortest commute.

guess which 3 have all been told we have to work 1 day each between Christmas & New Year??
well it ain't Scott!!

oh & to top it off, we support military systems and checking with all 3 military service desks, they are all on leave from 18th December to 4th January!!!

now I'm not moaning about having to work, as I have done my time & have worked over Christmas / New Year. its just the fact that each of us that has to travel furthest have to come in for 1 day just to stare at a phone that won't ring as no one will be manning the other end!!

I even volunteered to divert the works phone to my mobile for the full period & if needed I could drive up but no,, we need to be in!!
oh n then manager asks if I know how to open up the secure areas... who do you think does it most mornings at least an hour before the boss arrives?

anyway anyone else working over the Christmas period? lol

Put the phone number on here when you're working and we'll all give you a bell from the pub to make your day go quicker.  :b
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2015, 03:52:03 pm »
I will be working over Christmas also  :'(

Yep, Working my way through a bottle of Midelton very rare with my son.  :D

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
stop bleating and grow a pair, worked away from home most of my life worked Christmas & New year for years--get over it and get on with it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2015, 07:07:03 pm »
worked Christmas & New year for years--get over it and get on with it.

Santa Claus never has Christmas off and you don't hear him moaning about it ;)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2015, 10:44:14 pm »
Suppose I should say that I'm off next week, then back a week then off for about 3 weeks, even though I deliver to pubs and the like, sod them, I drink bottles of beer or Jack Daniels, so stuff it, I'll just need to be off like I have done the last 20 years and let someone else do the dirty work :b especially as I'm in the pub my colleagues are delivering too, ohh I feel for them :lol
« Last Edit: 04 December 2015, 10:45:11 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2015, 10:45:42 pm »
I havent had a day off since wednesday three weeks ago, have not got one...........for a long time. not for the rest of this month anyway. Oh the joy of 0 hour contracts and multiple jobs..... but double pay over christmas... :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2015, 10:53:18 pm »
I havent had a day off since wednesday three weeks ago, have not got one...........for a long time. not for the rest of this month anyway. Oh the joy of 0 hour contracts and multiple jobs..... but double pay over christmas... :D

Thats what you get for being a youngster :b .........how would us middle aged or old bikers get by otherwise :lol

Mind you i do have much hate towards 0 hour working contracts......thats another thread though....not mine....
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2015, 11:36:46 pm »
I'm gutted, I usually volunteer to work Christmas and Boxing day as I can't bloody stand it, hate it in fact.
This year though I'm going to be at home due to having an operation on the 14th that'll lay me low for a good few weeks.

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
I'm gutted, I usually volunteer to work Christmas and Boxing day as I can't bloody stand it, hate it in fact.
This year though I'm going to be at home due to having an operation on the 14th that'll lay me low for a good few weeks.
Hope the operation goes well so you can enjoy christmas mate :)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2015, 10:38:12 pm »

Thats what you get for being a youngster :b .........how would us middle aged or old bikers get by otherwise :lol

Mind you i do have much hate towards 0 hour working contracts......thats another thread though....not mine....
this 0 hour has not been too bad. I turn up every winter and the give me 4 to 8 hours a day, every day.... so it could be worse, just got to remember to fill in a timesheet each day. not hard considering i wont get paid otherwise :D