Date: 26-04-24  Time: 06:14 am

Author Topic: Cab gets my vote by default  (Read 16081 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Cab gets my vote by default
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2015, 11:22:34 pm »
Some don't have any reflectors either. Is that legal?. I thought all bikes had to have front and rear working brakes and reflectors?.

Yes, they're supposed to.

There again, all cars are supposed to have both headlights and both rear lights working and I've lost count of the number of vehicles I've seen with at least one faulty one recently...

I'm still being blinded by all the fog light wankers that haven't turned their lights off yet since that ONE day of fog we had a few weeks ago.   
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2015, 05:46:27 am »
It WAS a cycle lane, but there was also a big red bus in the way of it.
The pedestrian had already started crossing so technically had the right of passage, but the cyclist should've slowed down in caution anyway.

Even so, both a bit careless.

The pedestrian will think twice when he next crosses a road.
The cyclist will probably do it again tomorrow.  :lol

The cyclist couldn't have seen him in time because of the big vehicle he was... WASN't undertaking (since it's a bicycle lane). The pedestrian, when having decided to cross where he shouldn't, should at least make sure it is safe, he's not making anyone brake hard, or change direction quickly - which he didn't. The cyclist should have hit the brakes - there was the time.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2015, 06:36:17 am »
It WAS a cycle lane, but there was also a big red bus in the way of it.
The pedestrian had already started crossing so technically had the right of passage, but the cyclist should've slowed down in caution anyway.

Even so, both a bit careless.

The pedestrian will think twice when he next crosses a road.
The cyclist will probably do it again tomorrow.  :lol

The cyclist couldn't have seen him in time because of the big vehicle he was... WASN't undertaking (since it's a bicycle lane). The pedestrian, when having decided to cross where he shouldn't, should at least make sure it is safe, he's not making anyone brake hard, or change direction quickly - which he didn't. The cyclist should have hit the brakes - there was the time.

If he didn't see that pedestrian then it's time for a trip to the opticians!
It was more a case of which side of him was he going to ride, and because of his speed, plus that totally inconsiderate action of a bus stopping at a bus stop (how very dare he) the decision didn't come quick enough.
Personally i would've aimed straight at him and let the pedestrian choose either way.
On my motorbike, or any other motor vehicle for that matter, that's where the air horn, plus a decent set of brakes have a big say.  :car

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2015, 08:09:59 am »

If he didn't see that pedestrian then it's time for a trip to the opticians!

My guess is that he couldn't see him until he had passed the car on his right (inside of which the camera was mounted). Looks like a big vehicle - car, or a bus from the video. So both the cyclist and the pedestrian were surprised. However, the pedestrian should have expected a bicycle to come through the bicycle lane, while the cyclist couldn't have expected a pedestrian to run across the road.

It was more a case of which side of him was he going to ride, and because of his speed, plus that totally inconsiderate action of a bus stopping at a bus stop (how very dare he) the decision didn't come quick enough.

Looks indecisive to me to. Though I'd say he had the time to stop as well - that was a third option. In front the pedestrian, behind and stop.

Not sure about the problem with bus stopping - in my city you just pass on the middle of the road side, you're not supposed to expect pedestrians boarding/unboarding the bus on that side - just from the kerb side. The bicycle in front went right on.

Personally i would've aimed straight at him and let the pedestrian choose either way.
On my motorbike, or any other motor vehicle for that matter, that's where the air horn, plus a decent set of brakes have a big say.  :car

I often brake, slow down, when I see the pedestrian is not sure whether to go, or stop, or run. If they don't see me, then I go behind men and in front of women - because, from my experience, if they see me at the very last second, women often tend to suddenly stop or jump backwards, while men tend to start running-jumping forward, seldom stopping.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 01:05:04 pm by Slaninar »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2015, 10:20:15 am »
I'm gonna go 50/50 on this one.

Bike was going too fast and the pedestrian was lazy in just about every way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3335035/So-wrong-time-Cyclist-colliding-pedestrian-sparks-new-debate-taxi-video-divided-internet.html

Ok that was 100% cycle fault what a twat. Bear in mind rights of way or even if there was say a green traffic light and pedestrian was going on red does not matter here at all. Like in this example when some plonker hits an woman:

The Highway code is clear that all road rules and signals are advisory. You MUST stop and make sure if there is dangerous situation or say pedestrian in the middle of the road like in this case. Hazzard avoidance major fail here.

Pedestrian is in the wrong place, so what does that gives you wild card to run him over  :thumbdown

Instead of slowing down or even stopping the twat with the cycle has actually accelerated and pointed the bike towards the pedestrian.

Honestly I would be tempted to beat the shit out of somebody if they do that to me. What a plonker.

Rule 144  You MUST NOT
  • drive dangerously
  • drive without due care and attention
  • drive without reasonable consideration for other road users. 
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 11:52:47 am by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2015, 01:08:31 pm »
But... the cyclist did stop... and she did RUN into him from the side, didn't she. You can't be expected to expect people running at you from the side of the road.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
But... the cyclist did stop... and she did RUN into him from the side, didn't she. You can't be expected to expect people running at you from the side of the road.

I'm getting confused now, who is "she"?

It's London anyway, pedestrians and cyclists tend not to give a monkeys about anyone else.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 November 2015, 02:32:09 pm »
Some don't have any reflectors either. Is that legal?. I thought all bikes had to have front and rear working brakes and reflectors?.

Yes, they're supposed to.

So do some of the hipster 'fixie' bicycle riders that Slaninar refers to in reply #12 buy the bikes equipped with 2 sets of brakes, then start taking them off when they get home?.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 November 2015, 02:58:09 pm »
The Highway code is clear that all road rules and signals are advisory

what a load of sh!te.  where did you come up with that one?

try telling that to a judge when you run a "STOP" sign..............certain rules and signals are a "MUST" do eg the hexagonal red STOP sign and a Blue circle with 30 in it (mandatory minimum speed)
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2015, 03:04:17 pm »

Think you'll find that there's more chance of this happening than there is of them running head on at you!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #35 on: 27 November 2015, 03:16:48 pm »
Front and rear lights are good enough. Reflectors are required by law but if you have working lights - you don't really need them. Most road bikes as well as fixies don't have reflectors.

However, two separate brake systems, one on each wheel are required both by law and common sense. One brake can fail any time.

For single speed (and fixed gear) bicycles, rear wheel can be stopped with pedals - but many people ride without the front as well. I've found that a good front brake is crucial for sudden situations, like pedestrians jumping on the bicycle lane - often happens where I ride.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #36 on: 27 November 2015, 03:22:55 pm »

Think you'll find that there's more chance of this happening than there is of them running head on at you!

LOl. Even less chance of coming across the Spanish inquisition. However, the cyclist did STOP, not hit the pedestrian head on.  And the pedestrian was running, both literally, and running the red light. Her fault (the pedestrian) IMO.

P.S. The first crossing - first 10 to 15 seconds of the video - that was a more careless riding from that same cyclist IMO. I thought that would be it. Going too fast, too much to the side of the road, having seen the pedestrians happy to run red light in group just in front of him. You are invisible on the bicycle and motorcycle after all.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 03:27:42 pm by Slaninar »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 November 2015, 03:36:05 pm »

LOl. Even less chance of coming across the Spanish inquisition. However, the cyclist did STOP, not hit the pedestrian head on.  And the pedestrian was running, both literally, and running the red light. Her fault (the pedestrian) IMO.

P.S. The first crossing - first 10 to 15 seconds of the video - that was a more careless riding from that same cyclist IMO. I thought that would be it. Going too fast, too much to the side of the road, having seen the pedestrians happy to run red light in group just in front of him. You are invisible on the bicycle and motorcycle after all.

Pedestrian's a bloke!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #38 on: 27 November 2015, 03:43:39 pm »
Pedestrian's a bloke!

:rollin :lol

We're not talking about the same video then.

This one

ë

29 seconds, roughly.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 November 2015, 05:21:36 pm »
Pedestrian's a bloke!

:rollin :lol

We're not talking about the same video then.

This one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjgMuosiY0#t=68

29 seconds, roughly.

My bad, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, just like the woman crossing the road.  :lol

The videos aren't obvious on my work laptop.

That was her fault, phone in hand, just being a sheep and following other peoples movements without looking whatsoever.

In fairness she wouldn't have heard anyone coming towards her though, although I accept that's not a great excuse, but another reason why I'm not a fan of silent electric cars either!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 November 2015, 07:23:56 pm »
You lot saying the pedestrians aren't at fault in any of these clips do realise there's highway code rules for pedestrians too right!?
(which all the pedestrians are not adhering to)

The pedestrians are at fault in every clip according to the highway code, go to court after an accident and they'd be proper fucked!
Some say...

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 November 2015, 07:56:38 pm »
I think it's what they term 'Jaywalking' in America isn't it..wandering out into moving traffic where you shouldn't do.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 November 2015, 08:12:38 pm »
Main difference is it's enforced over there, same as Germany and many other countries!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 November 2015, 08:22:45 pm »
Look it up, I think you'll find that pedestrians have 'a right of way'.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 November 2015, 08:53:40 pm »
I think it's what they term 'Jaywalking' in America isn't it..wandering out into moving traffic where you shouldn't do.

There is no jaywalking in the UK, here we just call it crossing the road - traffic or not is perfectly legal to do so  :lol

The Highway code is clear that all road rules and signals are advisory

what a load of sh!te.  where did you come up with that one?

try telling that to a judge when you run a "STOP" sign..............certain rules and signals are a "MUST" do eg the hexagonal red STOP sign and a Blue circle with 30 in it (mandatory minimum speed)

My point was all the rules are advisory in the sense that if somebody cross on a red light that does not give you an wild card to run him over. You always must drive with due care means the magic words "he was running red light your honour, which is a MUST cross on a green rule, hence I have run him over..." are not good enough for the judge to agree with you.

« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 09:01:47 pm by Val »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 27 November 2015, 09:10:51 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 09:11:40 pm by Val »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 November 2015, 02:30:51 am »
Chances are, if you unwittingly decide, by choice, to take a chance and walk in front of me, you'd better start shifting, 'cos i ain't stopping!
No need for me to explain any further.....try me!

They always move......rather sharpishly, especially when you rev, drop a gear, and take aim.  :evil

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #47 on: 28 November 2015, 07:39:24 am »
They always move......rather sharpishly, especially when you rev, drop a gear, and take aim.  :evil

:rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 November 2015, 08:22:44 am »
Front and rear lights are good enough. Reflectors are required by law but if you have working lights - you don't really need them. Most road bikes as well as fixies don't have reflectors.

However, two separate brake systems, one on each wheel are required both by law and common sense. One brake can fail any time.

For single speed (and fixed gear) bicycles, rear wheel can be stopped with pedals - but many people ride without the front as well. I've found that a good front brake is crucial for sudden situations, like pedestrians jumping on the bicycle lane - often happens where I ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumLyiWkIoE

Air horn.....a solver of problems, and maketh of many dances.  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 28 November 2015, 08:37:57 am »

:rollin

Hi vis jacket, 2 headlights, reflective Arai stickers on the lid and bike, reflective tape on the top box, beeping indicators, LED strip lights on each side of the fairing connected and in sync with my normal indicators, LED brake light which also becomes another added rear set of added indicators as well as the originals, and a noisy but not too loud Quill end can.
I fucking dare any bastard i just ran down then wheel spun over to say they never saw or heard me! 

I can't be any more noticeable unless i stick cow bells on the wheels and wear a mini skirt!

Okay......you can erase that thought now!  :lol