Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: Speedo intermittent fault  (Read 1254 times)

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Speedo intermittent fault
« on: 24 October 2015, 07:19:14 pm »
02 plate Fazer -
Hi, my problem is that my speedo needle is behaving erratically. Sometimes bouncing around when I ease off the throttle, sometimes not registering at all. Right now it's working fine but I know this won't last. Any advice much appreciated.
Ta
RS

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo intermittent fault
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2015, 10:01:19 pm »
Check the cable going to the front wheel, could be damaged, if cable is intact take of the wheel and check the speedo sensor rotor in the front wheel. Lugs are often broken off and causes the problem you describe.
Picture shows old type (broken) and new type intact

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2015, 10:12:52 pm »
I had this issue and it was the sensor rather than the drive dog (bit that spins in the wheel). I had a small split right at the base of the wire and moisture was getting in there and causing chaos. You could try sealing it up if you have a split with amalgamating tape or something as the sensors are about £130 new and rare as rocking horse shit to get second hand. Check the drive first though, easy fix if thats broken and about £16.

HovBiker

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2015, 09:40:42 pm »
Same here.had this issue.sensor unit.was lucky enough to get a second hand one.problem solved.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2015, 10:45:39 pm »
Thanks to all. Actually made time to have a proper look last night. Found badly routed sensor cable rubbing off brake disc. Hence why intermittent. Sometimes wet sometimes dry. Have moved cable and will test tomorrow. If it works I will attempt to seal it up. If not then there are a couple 2nd hand ones on eBay at around 30 quid. Thanks again for great feedback!