Date: 24-04-24  Time: 21:36 pm

Author Topic: transmission 'clunk'  (Read 2032 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
transmission 'clunk'
« on: 24 February 2012, 04:27:17 pm »
hi everyone,
my 04 FZS1000 seems to have developed an odd, 'loose' feeling clunk when i rev the engine a little while idling. I think usually when in gear with the clutch engaged - feels like some slack being taken up somewhere(?).
Pretty sure it's not the drive chain/front sprocket as that's all new and secure. Wouldn't be something in the clutch would it? It sounds like it's coming from that area.
Any thoughts gratefully received.

S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: transmission 'clunk'
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2012, 05:56:54 pm »
Same when engine cold/hot?

Any changes to the way the bike rides and shifts gears?

What type of front sprocket did you fit with the new chain?

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2012, 06:43:18 pm »
Think it's the same both hot and cold - but may need to check that. No change to the way the bike rides; gears shift just fine. Front and rear sprocket both from the Did 'kit' supplied by Wemoto (£122ish)

s
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2012, 06:46:15 pm »
could it be rough running of un ballanced carbs? sometimes that gives a noise that although i wouldnt describe it as a "clunk" dose fell like a stutter when bliping the throtle that gives a noise that could be described as a clunk or bang like a piston slap but not..... ok that sounds confusing but i know what i meen :P
Just a thought as mine needs a ballance right now as is a little clunky in 1st gear moving around in trafic low down. more so than normal

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2012, 07:13:29 pm »
I have similar on mine. If the engine is revved in gear you feel like you are dragging something in the engine/gearbox. You also hear a noise that could be described as a clunk. Take it out of gear and its fine. It doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or gear change.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2012, 09:14:56 pm »
could it be rough running of un ballanced carbs? sometimes that gives a noise that although i wouldnt describe it as a "clunk" dose fell like a stutter when bliping the throtle that gives a noise that could be described as a clunk or bang like a piston slap but not..... ok that sounds confusing but i know what i meen :P
Just a thought as mine needs a ballance right now as is a little clunky in 1st gear moving around in trafic low down. more so than normal

really think that's unlikely - it def feels/sounds like something with mass being pushed/pulled/shunted whatever. could it be the oil in the engine acting on the drive or clutch? bit like it might do when the back wheel is off the ground with the engine running and the wheel turns slightly (albeit out of gear, if that makes sense?)?

Steven Wright

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2012, 05:36:18 am »
Could it be the oil in the engine acting on the drive or clutch?

That was going to be my next question.  Have you changed oil/raised oil level recently? 

There's freeplay/backlash throughout the transmission, starting with the clutch plates and basket, through the gears on the gearbox shafts and so on.  Any increase in drag due to oil level/viscosity might induce the noise you're hearing.

So long as you're 100% sure that the front sprocket is secure, I'd say ride on and monitor for any worsening but otherwise, lose no sleep. 

I have a similar low speed noise issue coming from the chain on my R1.  New DID chain set about 1500 miles back ... all is tight and properly adjusted but it's just noisy at walking pace.

thedog28

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2012, 07:40:36 am »
Hi, any one ever come up with an answer ? mine has done this since ive had it, its an 03 , had it for nearly a year .. pull up at lights, in gear, clutch in, blip the throttle, clunk (clickety clunk to be exact lol ) .... I was wondering , could it be something to do with the clutch plate ?