Date: 26-04-24  Time: 17:59 pm

Author Topic: speeding..................or not  (Read 6817 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: speeding..................or not
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2015, 10:08:33 pm »
If however, there is any doubt, take the course as the fine in court will be higher than paying the course fee.

Don't forget that the lovely Tories have now imposed Magistrates Court Fees on top of any other fines you may have to pay, supposedly to help cover "the running costs of the court".

This is not, of course, in any way, to induce people to plead guilty and not contest charges because they can't take the risk of the extra money they'd have to fork out if they might be found guilty...

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2015, 10:59:50 pm »
Do what I did, mel the focin martyr, waltz into the court, look the judge square in the eye and tell him in no uncertain terms how your not happy with the positioning of the camera and that you honestly believe that these contraptions do nothing to promote road safety......I focin told him, and he.......the barstuard.......fined me £600........Focin told me lol
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2015, 11:04:22 pm »
Do what I did, mel the focin martyr, waltz into the court, look the judge square in the eye and tell him in no uncertain terms how your not happy with the positioning of the camera and that you honestly believe that these contraptions do nothing to promote road safety......I focin told him, and he.......the barstuard.......fined me £600........Focin told me lol
Surely that should of started DONT DO WHAT I DID...?
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2015, 11:18:21 pm »
Ok I maybe missing the point here but you have almost concrete proof that you were not speeding !  when they say you were

HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE got tickets the same day and place with the same equipment ?
 surley you should ask this question as well ?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2015, 07:30:38 am »
Some insurance companies are now asking about attendance of speed awareness courses and treating them (correctly or otherwise) the same as having got three points.

This one was raised at my speed awareness course on Monday. They where very clear about it, they will not under any circumstances pass on any information to third parties or insurance companies. They didn't say lie, more refuse to answer the question, the insurance companies are being very naughty!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 October 2015, 09:06:29 am »
Definitely ask for the photo so you can identify who was driving given that the vehicle has multiple drivers ..... this will give you the evidence that they have ...... you can then make an informed decision from that point onwards. Also ask for the speed camera calibration certificate as they have been known to be out of date and therefore ineligible as evidence.

In many police force areas across the country, it is an agency that man the speed vans, and as is the same for speed cameras, the data is passed onto a reviewing police officer to decide upon which instances are sent forward for prosecution.

The legal limit for prosecution is speed limit x 1.1+1, ie 34 in a 30mph zone, 45 in a 40mph zone and 67 in a 60mph zone. I believe it is the same for motorways too, but there is a tendency to be a little more lenient and use 80mph otherwise the courts would be completely full.

There are numerous reasons why intended prosecution is withdrawn. Contesting the NIP dictates that the authorities take a second look at the evidence they have compared with your reason & any evidence you have for not pleading guilty. They then make an informed decision on whether to proceed or not. Many cases are dropped simply because the offender contests the NIP and it is a borderline speed - such as yours.

If the authorities decide to proceed, you get your opportunity to present your evidence and reasoning to the judge - you dont need to engage a solicitor but it would be much better to do some homework to identify previous cases where the use of tachographs have proved to be reliable evidence against the accusation. Have your tacho calibration dates and certs available (compare calibration of tacho requirements against calibration of speed camera requirements). Demonstrate your speed on a map showing other speed limits to prove you are basically a speed abiding driver. Details of your driving history may or may not prove beneficial too (depending upon your previous !!), ie 20 yrs without a ticket, miles driven per year etc etc

I am sure more knowledgable others will identify areas for consideration that I have omitted ............ good luck and keep us informed ........
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: 14 October 2015, 09:27:04 am »
Smurf - The legal limit for prosecution does not exist. Speeding is an "absolute" type offence. There are ACPO guidelines, but these are only guidelines, which recommend +10% +2mph (so 35mph in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc) to stop filling the courts up and taking up to much plod time with paperwork.

I would probably ask for the photo to help identify the driver if I was certain that I was not speeding to see what the photo actually shows. If it shows you in the truck (its not unknown for the wrong number plate to be written down by the muppets) then go to a motoring lawyer with your evidence that proves innocence and take it to court.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again