Date: 25-04-24  Time: 07:33 am

Author Topic: Should i buy this from China???  (Read 4467 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Should i buy this from China???
« on: 11 October 2015, 01:44:05 pm »
Just something I spotted that I thought would set off the front end of the noggyfighter trx really nicely.......but it is from China :eek

the shpeel sounds convincing but does anyone with either welding knowledge or in the off chance any experience of these type rads have any advice on them?

supposedly exceeds oem spec but hmmmmmmm should I believe them as Chinese stuff can often be questionable.

can they actually make half decent stuff if you pay the dosh I wonder?

I also don't know how to go about finding out what the import duties would be on something like that??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPI-all-aluminum-radiator-for-YAMAHA-TRX850-TRX-850-/271564870453
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Should i buy this from China???
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2015, 01:55:56 pm »
the only thing the Chinese can do is cook. go with your gut feeling mr noggy, ;)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2015, 02:21:05 pm »
I bought a replacement radiator from China (think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere) and it was useless. Brackets in the wrong place, no mounting points for radiator cover, etc.
I sent it back and seller refused to refund but never said why. I reported it to ebay who then sided with the seller and also refused to refund.
Luckily, I paid through Paypal but used my credit card and when I reported it to Barclaycard they refunded me straight away. Lesson learnt. Stay away from Chinese crap.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
Problem is Noggy, if you have any grief at all like lost in post, doesn't fit, total shite, etc, then it all becomes a bit of a nightmare.
I've bought small items from China before, and had good and bad experiences.
I forget what it was now but one item i waited five weeks for was such rubbish i threw it in the bin within one minute of opening the package.
All a bit risky in my opinion.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2015, 06:48:01 pm »
Have you priced up having yours refurbished or remanufactured at a local radiator place, you might be pleasantly surprised.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2015, 07:45:35 pm »
There was a stunning Bimota sb6r street fighter in some of the mags a few years ago with a radiator made to replicate an oil cooler, it was very convincing and the owner said it didn't cost an arm and a leg to have it made, may be worth ringing around and see whats available
Not suggesting you should go for the oil cooler look, just that these things may not be as expensive as you think (I worked at Bearwards in Northampton, they manufacture heat exchangers and believe me there isn't much to them)
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
(There's a used rad on ebay for £89 English seller,  ipmotorparts , if you want a oem replacement,  . I know some of the tdr forum members have got rads from China not a perfect fit  but worked Ok.  It's a risk like others have said, also it will be costly  to return
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2015, 08:58:19 pm »
Thanks guys...you confirmed my suspicions and as always foc-u is right..........dont trust China

Shame as they look real sweet & it is purely a cosmetic venture for me as i see my trx as a long term project.......i kind of envisaged the lovely Alu rad at the front & then a back to Alu look swingarm at the rear because the current one has the black chipped off in various places.

You can see how prominent the rad is on her so it needs to look nice & although i might get by with a simple grey rad cover it wont ooze as much charm.

The almighty google doesnt throw much up in the way of Alu or race style rads for the trx unfortunately.

I also cant find another second hand YZF750 swingarm as they are like rocking horse shit so if anyone sees one id be real appreciative if they let me know.

Cheers 8)
« Last Edit: 11 October 2015, 09:04:24 pm by noggythenog »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2015, 09:11:23 pm »
Noggy , is it that heavy you have to lean it against a wall ?   lol

oh ,, I get it ,you are trying to get those arty pictures of bike,background,butttttttttttt,, don't you have to have a wench on it with her tits out ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2015, 09:20:50 pm »
Noggy , is it that heavy you have to lean it against a wall ?   lol

oh ,, I get it ,you are trying to get those arty pictures of bike,background,butttttttttttt,, don't you have to have a wench on it with her tits out ?

I had my tits out if that counts...tweeking my nips & everything...twisting my melons man

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2015, 01:39:02 pm »
god Noggy I thought i'd been drinking!! it took my eyes at least 3rd look until it registered as picture as taken at a dam!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2015, 03:09:05 pm »
Noggy I know of at least three lads on the Z1000SX forum who have opted for Chinese rads for their damaged units. Not one has complained. I think they are paying about £85 +postage as against £500+ for OEM.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2015, 04:20:41 pm »

This was the bike I was referring to

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2015, 04:26:43 pm »
http://bcomebimota.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/streetfighter.html

Slightly larger image here if you want a closer look
Built by West Coast Mc

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2015, 11:33:19 pm »
I like the rad on that Bimota Joe, very plush........so if I went to West Coast MC they could maybe make me one then....hmmm sounds interesting right enough....but that bloke saying it wasn't as much as he thought.....depends what he was thinking I suppose.

I seen this place who had a deal with doing some Harris swingarms for the yzf 750's.....because that's the swingarm my bike runs I was well up for having one....in my mind im thinking a max price of £500......how wrong was I.....the guy came back with £3400.00......for a foccing swingarm :eek

Lew..thanks for the positive feedback......the ones im looking at are £120 which is still slightly pricey considering I can get a good used one for £80 but not so pricey considering their aluminium plushness and being brand new.......but then there's the customs charges which I'm guessing could be another £100 squiddlies so id be looking at a couple hundred quid and still taking a gamble....there will be an answer eventually and I think speaking to these custom builders or looking in the bike magazines and stuff.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2015, 06:11:48 am »
noggy, I doubt they built it but probably know a man who can.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2015, 09:50:57 pm »
I've found a place online that looks like they could build me one.....they do mainly top end motocross stuff but say they can do bespoke stuff for cars or bikes......their standard issue stuff is about £250.00 so it will be pricey to get one.....but probably not too much more than the Chinese one considering original price and then the import charges......except they will no doubt be far superior.

I might look for a scabby cheap original rad to send to them and see what they reckon but I would also like them to beef it up a bit....more of a show piece at the front end...may as well really.....and build in some kind of protection mesh or grill whilst keeping the looks.

I feel like I have an obligation to the bike now as a project....yes I could just ride it...but I want it to be as it should be and that involves hard cash......a nice big chunky Alu rad at the front and eventually a back to alu swingarm on the rear.....as such a simple and exposed bike there isn't a great deal more to it.......actually im a lying foccer.....theres new levers required and a few bits n bobs touched up and the rear seat unit has a few nasty cracks in it which eventually is gonna need sorting out........then ill end up wanting a fancy shock no doubt :rolleyes     £££££££££££.............loads o £££££££££££........it's my only vice ;)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2015, 10:29:06 pm »
I'd be inclined to ring around for price's, if they're set up to build alloy rads the only difference between your and everything else they manufacture would be the top and bottom tanks and take offs.

We made coolers from about 1 to 3 meters (for skyscraper aircons) and the cores were all identical

Just saying.......