Date: 16-04-24  Time: 22:02 pm

Author Topic: Anyone got one of these?  (Read 2977 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Anyone got one of these?
« on: 30 September 2015, 07:52:12 pm »
http://www.bike-gear.com/buy/caberg-duke-legend-black-white-flip-front-helmet_2283.htm

Thinking about buying one, has anyone used/got one and if so are they any good?

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got one of these?
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2015, 07:58:46 pm »
http://www.bike-gear.com/buy/caberg-duke-legend-black-white-flip-front-helmet_2283.htm

Thinking about buying one, has anyone used/got one and if so are they any good?

I have one, great helmet but can feel a bit turbulent at speed. Wind noise is low and very comfortable.
I recently changed to a Nexx Xr2 as wanted full face, it's great but not as comfortable as the Duke.
To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2015, 07:58:55 pm »
Sure looks the dogs balls ill give it that 8)

But whenever i consider a flip lid i think well why dont i just get a cool looking open face and some cool goggles because i wouldnt trust the flip part in a crash and if anything....right or wrong i can see the flip part jarring, carching, disintegrating and turning into lots of spikey bits right near my face and neck.

Sorry slappy....thats really morbid...just my thoughts......im a cheerful foccer :evil

Edit...oops sorry mike....not trying to make you paranoid mate :lol
« Last Edit: 30 September 2015, 08:00:04 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2015, 08:17:38 pm »

But whenever i consider a flip lid i think well why dont i just get a cool looking open face and some cool goggles because i wouldnt trust the flip part in a crash and if anything....right or wrong i can see the flip part jarring, carching, disintegrating and turning into lots of spikey bits right near my face and neck.

Sorry slappy....thats really morbid...just my thoughts......im a cheerful foccer :evil

:lol :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2015, 09:58:20 pm »

:lol :lol

Actually Noggy your thoughts reflect mine a bit, that is worrying!
Never had a flip lid because I always felt that full face would the "safer" option but now I have to wear glasses for distance a flip lid would be handy, more and more riders seem to be using them and I have never heard of one coming apart in a crash but it is always a little nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
I suppose they must be tested to see if they could come apart and they must be safe but then again.......

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2015, 10:06:25 pm »
It's a 5 star safety rated lid  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2015, 10:19:43 pm »
Why didnt they make the NASA space shuttle a flip front so all the wee spacemens could see what was goin down in space & stuff more easily :lol .......end of the day.....is there a great need for your nonce to be exposed......apart from a teency tiny extra bit of comfort and being colder and noisier.

If you were a kid at school and asked to design something to keep someones head safe when bashed on the road.......would you draw something with a big hinge?????

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
id er on the side of caution myself where my head is concerned anyway and whose to say when you crash that its going to be closed
please god let the sun keep shining

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2015, 11:23:05 pm »
Lot of crap talked about helmets, bit like tyre threads.
Just googled the SHARP site Dunchinni helmets Full face ***** rating, £99.00, Dunchinni System (Flip top)**** rating, £99.00
AGV Full face, Rating ***** £350.00, AGV System (Flip top) rating **** £ 250.00.

Why pay so much more for a helmet, smacks of my bike is better than your bike, or my dick is bigger than you dick
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2015, 11:32:31 pm »
at the end of the day the simple thing is, if it don't fit - it ain't worth shit?
Porquoi moi?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2015, 01:37:51 am »
Why pay so much more for a helmet

Those ratings are only for safety, they say nothing about noise, ventilation, removable linings, whether the visor is fitted for Pinlock or even lets in water to mention a few other considerations.

And, of course, they don't tell you whether a particular lid will fit your shape of head...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2015, 07:14:19 am »
Not a bad review here Grahamm from real bikers

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13821
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Fazer Forever

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2015, 12:37:21 pm »
Bike gear are closing their Leeds store so have a sale on this weekend. Starts Sat.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2015, 11:18:03 am »
So went up to Bikegear in Leeds, tried it on in a medium, fitted perfectly , so bought it.  £135 so well pleased.
Road test it tomorrow.
Thanks for all your input.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2015, 12:20:45 pm »
Nice one Slappy, be sure to let us know how you get on with it.
The only thing I have against a flip lid is that it's popular with the BMW wankers . . .  :lol
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2015, 06:46:59 pm »
Actually Noggy your thoughts reflect mine a bit, that is worrying!
Never had a flip lid because I always felt that full face would the "safer" option but now I have to wear glasses for distance a flip lid would be handy, more and more riders seem to be using them and I have never heard of one coming apart in a crash but it is always a little nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
I suppose they must be tested to see if they could come apart and they must be safe but then again.......

It is 5 stars SHARP safety tested http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/caberg-duke-and-tourmax

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2015, 08:06:52 pm »
It'll be sharp alright ;)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2015, 10:24:08 pm »
I've had a Duke for two years now and like it a lot.
On the plus side it's comfy, plenty of visibility (bigger visor aperture than my old V-can), well ventilated, no leaks, P/J rated so you can legally ride with the front up.
The only things I don't like are that the mouth vents don't close, so your trap gets a bit chilly in winter, and that the catch that holds the front up is a real bitch to release.
Fold the front up and it stays up on its own, but if you want to ride legally it has to be fastened in place safely, so it's no wonder the catch is hard to release. Just a pain in the arse that's all.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2015, 08:38:00 am »
On the plus side it's comfy, plenty of visibility (bigger visor aperture than my old V-can), well ventilated, no leaks, P/J rated so you can legally ride with the front up.
The only things I don't like are that the mouth vents don't close, so your trap gets a bit chilly in winter, and that the catch that holds the front up is a real bitch to release.
Fold the front up and it stays up on its own, but if you want to ride legally it has to be fastened in place safely, so it's no wonder the catch is hard to release. Just a pain in the arse that's all.

"...plenty of visibility..."

I s'pose that has to be a bonus  :rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2015, 07:39:48 am »

"...plenty of visibility..."

I s'pose that has to be a bonus  :rollin :rollin :rollin

:rollin
I tried a few others before choosing the Duke, and some felt like I was looking through a letter box while others didn't seem to offer much in the way of chin/face protection. The Duke seemed to have enough of both.  :)

« Last Edit: 05 October 2015, 07:41:09 am by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2015, 01:26:00 pm »
So a quick review after 85 miles use.
Good fit, easy to put on with glasses just open the flip, no more noisier than my Shoei XR1000, bigger visor aperture than my Shoei in depth and width, now no need to think if I might need to take tinted and clear visors with me just use the integral sun visor, haven`t fitted the supplied pinlock yet but have one on my Shoei and that does a pretty decent job, i found the ratchet type strap  easy to use and adjust after having double D ring for years.
One niggly thing, the flip part was difficult to flip down once, had to press the button on the chin piece 3 times before it would move, seen this reported in a few reviews.
Overall I am pleased with it and if like me you are considering a flip type helmet at a decent price I would recommend you try one, plain ones can be had for about £110, not bad for a 5 star SHARP safety tested helmet.   

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2015, 06:10:00 pm »
So a quick review after 85 miles use.
Good fit, easy to put on with glasses just open the flip, no more noisier than my Shoei XR1000, bigger visor aperture than my Shoei in depth and width, now no need to think if I might need to take tinted and clear visors with me just use the integral sun visor, haven`t fitted the supplied pinlock yet but have one on my Shoei and that does a pretty decent job, i found the ratchet type strap  easy to use and adjust after having double D ring for years.
One niggly thing, the flip part was difficult to flip down once, had to press the button on the chin piece 3 times before it would move, seen this reported in a few reviews.
Overall I am pleased with it and if like me you are considering a flip type helmet at a decent price I would recommend you try one, plain ones can be had for about £110, not bad for a 5 star SHARP safety tested helmet.

Great looking helmet. I've got Caberg Vox Daytona and also I am very happy with it  :)
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.