Date: 16-04-24  Time: 16:00 pm

Author Topic: Clutch rattle in neutral?  (Read 3244 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Clutch rattle in neutral?
« on: 13 September 2015, 12:48:58 pm »
Seems to be mentioned a few times on here, and my fazer has just started to do it too, but I haven't read how to get rid of it yet?

Clutch is rattling only in neutral and only with the clutch out, as soon as I pull the clutch it goes away. My clutch adjustment seems fine though, so I'm not sure what to try first to remedy it, any thoughts?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch rattle in neutral?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2015, 09:00:37 pm »
They all do it.  Don't sweat it. :)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2015, 09:01:15 pm »
How many miles has the bike done? at a guess id say your clutch basket has some wear. As Mike says ist nothing to worry about, but if you really want to get rid of it - replacing the basket is the only way to go.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2015, 09:02:23 pm by b1k3rdude »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2015, 11:45:54 pm »
Bike has only covered about 15000 miles (less I think actually), but then it's knocking on 11 years old now.

As I say it's working fine, just hadn't noticed the noise in the past but then with the nice weather I have had my helmet flipped up and or my visor up more recently, so maybe I have just been hearing it better. Don't think I want to change the clutch basket over the head of it all the same, it's not THAT bad :lol

Just Fazered

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2015, 09:56:27 am »
Has it got the correct viscosity oil, because from what I've read and been told by a mechanic, it can make a difference to the clutch.

That can include where if you've topped up your oil with a different type, that can make a difference?

I'm about to change oil and filter on my Gen 1 Fazer thou which has clutch rattle in first gear when engine is cold - hoping it cures it and that's the advice I will be following.

It is the cheapest and quickest cost option to try and eliminate the problem imho. Clutch change requires and oil and filter change anyway, so why not see if it cures it firstly?

« Last Edit: 18 September 2015, 10:11:21 am by Just Fazered »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2015, 10:26:58 am »
Mine is noisier in neutral with the clutch out than it is with the clutch pulled in, which as Mike said is normal behaviour for the bike (and he should know). I wouldn't try fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2015, 02:47:19 pm »
Put in your ear plugs before you start it  :lol

They all do it and it is worse if the carbs are out of synch.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
Has it got the correct viscosity oil, because from what I've read and been told by a mechanic, it can make a difference to the clutch.

That can include where if you've topped up your oil with a different type, that can make a difference?

I'm about to change oil and filter on my Gen 1 Fazer thou which has clutch rattle in first gear when engine is cold - hoping it cures it and that's the advice I will be following.

It is the cheapest and quickest cost option to try and eliminate the problem imho. Clutch change requires and oil and filter change anyway, so why not see if it cures it firstly?

Definately has the correct oil - Fuchs Silkolene 10W40 at the last oil change, and topped up with that ever since. I dont use anythign else for the Fazer.

Mine is noisier in neutral with the clutch out than it is with the clutch pulled in, which as Mike said is normal behaviour for the bike (and he should know). I wouldn't try fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

I think your right, maybe I have noticed something thats always been there, im not sure :lol

Put in your ear plugs before you start it  :lol

They all do it and it is worse if the carbs are out of synch.

carbs have not been done in a while - thats on my list for winter anyway as well as another filter/oil change so I will see what its like come spring time.