Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:17 am

Author Topic: Are you sitting comfortably? - 'cos I'm not!  (Read 3865 times)

helmetvonthrob

• DAS Born Again
  • STOP TELLING ME TO STAY CALM!
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - Bandit 600
    • View Profile
Are you sitting comfortably? - 'cos I'm not!
« on: 30 August 2015, 03:43:39 pm »
I get a pain in the rear after about an hour in the saddle and end up stretching my legs as I ride.  I wouldn't want to do hours on end.

What mods have people done on their seats and has anyone else suffered from SAS? (Square Arse Syndrome)
Just think how stupid the "average" person is.  Isn't it a worry that statistically approximately 50% of the population are thicker!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Are you sitting comfortably? - 'cos I'm not!
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2015, 11:18:36 am »
I was on the bike yesterday for about an hour and a half, only stopped once to take a photo, 5 mins. max. I was OK, I think it's best to stop if you start getting numb-bum, on a good ride out might do upto 180 miles over 6 or 7 hours with coffee and food and fuel stops so getting a bit sore at the end of the ride.
Not done any 3 hour + motorway non-stop for years now but they're the worst? so stop even if it's only for a few moments and stretch your legs.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2016, 06:36:20 pm »
Im always shufflin bout on the seat, particularly in the corners.. Never had a problem.. Motorways I tend to avoid tho  :)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2016, 12:30:59 am »
I've done 180 miles on a cut-down FZ6 seat (lowered as I've got short legs!) and, although it was getting uncomfy towards the end, it wasn't crippling.

There again, I've been cycling most of my life, so maybe I'm used to hard saddles :)

Oldbiker61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
Get the same feeling after an hours riding. Whether it's age or what I don't know, but there are times were I just have to stop for a while. However it's worst at the start of the year, and the more I'm out on the bike the less aches I get, a friend of mine says it's all about getting bike fit. If you think about it if you're like me and hardly ride during the winter, when you start out again your body is not used to the physical pressure you put on it

Shinigami

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2016, 01:31:33 pm »
The options for comfier seats seem to be really expensive, i get sore after about a 2hr straight stint (arse goes numb) I don't do that many of these though so i've can't justify the cost of a comfort seat

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2016, 01:52:45 pm »
One of the best 'cheaper' options is a sheepskin cover from Ikea for £15. Lots of downsides to this including rain, but worth trying out to see if it helps.

Top-end fixes are blow-up seats. I personally like the Tourtec ones, but go for air and not gel. The reason your bum gets numb is because of the heat, not just the pressure. The air-flow through the blow-up cushions helps reduce this and keep you more comfortable. The downside to blow-ups (as well as the cost) is that it adds up to an inch in height, so you might end up going tippy-toe :)

Most of the time though, I just lay forward on the tank to reduce pressure and cool my bot, or stand up on the pegs (don't try this at home kids).

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2016, 11:00:28 am »
tried a shad seat ..better but not perfect cos it's wider than stock £145..for same money I reckon a re-contour and insert best bet..

davebike

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - C90 CUB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2016, 10:09:56 am »
I found the Fazers seat not great 
I added a Gel insert pad £30 ish went under the oridgnal cover in a cut out in the foam and a sheepskin cover £20 both off ebay much better !
Latest touch is that no slip mesh like mechanic draw liner hold Shaw the sheep still and stops passengers sliding or me (if shawn is not there ) sliding about

Fazer FZ6 2004 Honda C90 cub
Professional mechanic  IAM member
Davebike1@gmail.com

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2016, 12:33:41 am »
My bums OK it's my left knee that give me stick and sometime cramp in my left thigh. This can happens within the first 10 miles or so and yet other times i can ride 50 or 60 miles no problem.
I have started doing the stretching exercises that runners do, to stretch out the calf and thigh muscles before I ride in the hope that it helps, I do each exercise and hold the pose for about 90 seconds, on each leg, I think it helps, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.   

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2016, 03:55:58 pm »
Tommy, I have the same problem, random cramps in right leg which could come after a few hundred yards or a hundred miles.
I have just last week had endovenous laser procedure to close off a porous  vein in my right leg , same way they do varicose veins, next year I am down for a new knee in same leg,I am hoping my recondioned leg will get rid of the cramps :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2016, 05:35:50 pm »
Tommy, I have the same problem, random cramps in right leg which could come after a few hundred yards or a hundred miles.
I have just last week had endovenous laser procedure to close off a porous  vein in my right leg , same way they do varicose veins, next year I am down for a new knee in same leg,I am hoping my recondioned leg will get rid of the cramps :)

Sounds grim Slappy doesn't it, but we are getting older, all the bits that used to do this stuff happily now kick off and give us stick.
I am was a brickie and 53 years, laying bricks, rendering, swinging club and sledge hammers and pick axes have all taken their toll on this old boy.
I have crumbled wrist joint, its classed as 'Impact and Rotation' damage, basically the cush-drive in my wrists had worn away and the sprocket carrier is now metal to metal with the inner rear wheel hub. lol!

Wild Plum (Terry) my mate reckons its nothing to do with work my worn out wrist joints, But that's another story :lol