Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:43 am

Author Topic: tyre question.  (Read 1644 times)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
tyre question.
« on: 14 August 2015, 08:44:39 pm »
So as above i have a question. This is not a question about what tyre too choose, more about durability.
I have to ride to Manchester soon, (or rather, i am riding because public transport sucks, and the car is sick) its about 270 miles each way. My plan is to ride motorway on the way down, fun roads on the way home. I have ,metzeler sportec on my fzs 600.
Question is, will 300 miles of motorway "square off" the tyres? They are not cheap so i dont want to have to replace them too soon.Just put new rear on 2000 miles ago.....
Ta, Fen

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: tyre question.
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2015, 08:46:59 pm »
Just constantly swerve between lane 2 and 3, coming off at every junction to go round the roundabout!
What could go wrong?
Some say...

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2015, 08:50:48 pm »
Just constantly swerve between lane 2 and 3, coming off at every junction to go round the roundabout!
What could go wrong?
Might make the ride more interesting......

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2015, 08:52:53 pm »
But a lot longer journey time!
Tbh, just check your tyre pressures, 42 on rear, they should be fine, I commute on pilot power 3's and it takes a fair few miles to square them off!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2015, 09:07:14 pm »
I've racked up 2k miles on the PR4s recently fitted to my Tiger - half of that is motorway at 90mph. They still look like new.

Like Punkstig says, check your pressures and you'll be fine.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2015, 09:59:01 pm »
I did that kind of journey every weekend for 5 years, 2 of those on a boxeye. I went from Sailsbury to Blackpool on a Friday, then back again on Sunday. 500 mile round trip. 60% on motorways.

My back tyre generally lasted 8-10 weeks before it was useless. In the winter I got a week or so more out of it.
I always used s/t tyres, rarely a matching pair as I like to try different makes.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2015, 10:48:32 pm »
Get a foccin train down and up, get the cheapest ticket you can, then once on the train, go straight to first class, put your ass on a unbooked seat, wait on inspector, ask him for upgrade to first class, give him your £10 extra and then relax and enjoy ;-)
Will be far cheaper and more relaxing and you won't square off your tyres and that means you won't need to buy another set of tyres on your return.
If you can only get a train from Glasgow, you can leave your bike at mines and collect on return :)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
I got about 13k out of my last Metzeler Z6 on the rearm vast majority from  commuting in London. Was squared off by the end, but certainly not horrific.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2015, 12:21:45 pm »
Question is, will 300 miles of motorway "square off" the tyres?

Simple answer: No.

If you do a few thousand miles of motorway type riding with no twisties then, yes, they'll start squaring off (how long this takes will depend on your riding style), but a few hundred miles won't make a difference.

You'll probably get lots of recommendations of the "best" tyres to get, but any good dual compound tyre should cope with this sort of thing and not require replacing too frequently.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2015, 01:02:42 pm »
Yeah, in all the years, and about 150,000 miles I churned up and down the motorway, it mattered not which tyre I chose (sport touring of course), they all lasted about the same distance on the Fazer.

When I got the Aprillia futura that all changed! ;D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!