Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:48 am

Author Topic: analys of the crash any ideas?  (Read 6472 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
analys of the crash any ideas?
« on: 22 July 2015, 05:48:16 pm »
This made BBC news:

! No longer available

I wonder what you think about it?

IMO is easy to point solution from your chair, but me personally think the guy has handled that well. I am not sure if it was me I may be under that truck.

And the post accident is brilliant hat off to him. This guy is great.

IB4:

Usually when sh.t happens I am known to hit the turn signal instead of the horn  :lol :

Do not blame the truck driver too much, visibility is ZERO there are FIVE side mirrors nice idea of Boris Johsnon to have cycle safety...ermmmmm??

« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 06:19:41 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: analys of the crash any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2015, 06:02:17 pm »
Bloody hell! :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2015, 06:33:41 pm »
Failed on Rule No. 1
Don't Panic  :eek

Failed on rule no. 2
If you can't stop go for the gap, it might get bigger. :rolleyes

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2015, 06:47:54 pm »
Shocking crash, he got off relatively lucky.

Was he checking out that girl just before the accident? Not that he would have reacted faster if he wasn't.

« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 06:49:15 pm by griff86 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2015, 07:59:56 pm »
If you watch the whole video on you tube you see that the girl is about 70 years old.  He probably couldn't tell that from the back though and though she might be a MILF  as she had a pushchair with her.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2015, 08:28:23 pm »
Horn? Might have been better than shouting, although if the only time you use the horn is to see if it works for the MOT its not the first thing you think of?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2015, 08:33:20 pm »
Is that the same bike & rider in this different crash thread on here last November??....

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15285.0.html

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2015, 08:44:24 pm »
Is that the same bike & rider in this different crash thread on here last November??....

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15285.0.html

Bloody hell, it is the very same person.  :eek
Same bike, same voice, same gloves!!!

Very well spotted.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2015, 08:50:06 pm »
Yeah it is the same guy, also the same guy who got in the tv program with punkstig where he was riding along and then a bloke runs across him and puts out his hand to hand off rugby style to the front of the bike.

So much for life savers ha.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2015, 09:22:09 pm »
If you watch the whole video on you tube you see that the girl is about 70 years old.  He probably couldn't tell that from the back though and though she might be a MILF  as she had a pushchair with her.

Haha, I meant the girl right at the beginning of the video, he turns his head to look back at her before the crash, she's got what looks like an asda bag or something.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2015, 09:56:08 pm »
Could he have avoided this, he had plenty time to react and move over the opposit side of the road.....not saying it's his fault....just think he's just a bit inexperienced and his judgement slow thinking the truck driver saw and heard him.....how often have we had to take action to avoid a SMIDSY.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2015, 06:15:13 am »
Could he have avoided this, he had plenty time to react and move over the opposit side of the road.....not saying it's his fault....just think he's just a bit inexperienced and his judgement slow thinking the truck driver saw and heard him.....how often have we had to take action to avoid a SMIDSY.

^Pretty much sums it up for me. Looks like the lorry driver had no choice but to use the oncoming lane, he just wouldn't have got round the corner else. The moment I saw him turn I thought the biker could've got onto the opposite pavement or done a rapid u-turn.

Like my riding instructor said, treat everything as your fault. Doesn't matter who or what caused the hazard in the first place, the question is how you deal with it.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2015, 08:43:08 am »
I agree as I said previously panic and target fixation. There was a big gap and time to go for it. The truck driver was most likely concentrating on his left side mirrors checking the corner. Duke rider took a long time to react to the issues unfolding ahead of him

He would benefit from a few days advanced training, because at present he is definitely an accident waiting to happen again

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2015, 12:18:47 pm »
Agreed, but the lorry driver had a clear view down the road, if he had looked properly  in the first place out the side window he would have seen the bike, there are a lot of blind spots, ie pillers  etc, but move your head, you can't drive down a road guessing it's clear!
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2015, 12:28:19 pm »
Many many years ago lorry drivers used to have a drivers mate!!!!Regardless thankfully it was not a couple of school kids doing what school kids do these days. Ear phones on full blast playing music and sending the mate beside them a text. It is the only way they know how to communicate with each other these days.  ;)
Glad no one was hurt.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2015, 12:28:47 am »
I've watched that video several times already as it was on a Facebook group I use and IMO it's 100% the lorry driver's fault.

The driver is taking the corner way too fast which forces him to run so wide that he virtually mounts the pavement on his off-side. He totally fails to make proper observation or look at what is in front of him.

The biker sees the lorry turning in, stops and waits, then there's the "Holy shit, he's not stopping" moment, by which time it's really too late for the biker to do anything, ie even sound the horn.

What pisses me off most, however, is the total lack of concern of the driver for the bloke he nearly killed...  :2guns

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2015, 05:40:54 am »
I've watched that video several times already as it was on a Facebook group I use and IMO it's 100% the lorry driver's fault.

The driver is taking the corner way too fast which forces him to run so wide that he virtually mounts the pavement on his off-side. He totally fails to make proper observation or look at what is in front of him.

The biker sees the lorry turning in, stops and waits, then there's the "Holy shit, he's not stopping" moment, by which time it's really too late for the biker to do anything, ie even sound the horn.

What pisses me off most, however, is the total lack of concern of the driver for the bloke he nearly killed...  :2guns

100% ?
Really?

Personally i would've just moved to the right, out of his path, with a couple of blasts of the air horn for good measure.
If he'd paid more attention to the road ahead of him, rather than twisting his head to the right to ogle that first girl then it would have been a different story, but regardless of that he still had time to move out of the way anyway.
It's a big fuck off sized lorry, it wasn't really hard to spot!
And shouting "Whoah" through a crash helmet to a lorry driver tends not to work so well either, it may do with a horse, but maybe using the horn may have got some better needed attention.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2015, 07:29:17 am »

^Pretty much sums it up for me. Looks like the lorry driver had no choice but to use the oncoming lane, he just wouldn't have got round the corner else. The moment I saw him turn I thought the biker could've got onto the opposite pavement or done a rapid u-turn.

Like my riding instructor said, treat everything as your fault. Doesn't matter who or what caused the hazard in the first place, the question is how you deal with it.
:agree
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2015, 09:31:56 am »

The rider could have maybe done something but obviously sheer panic kicked in and he froze.

I thought the same about the lorry driver tho .. he didn't really seem to bothered about what he had done and after the initial crash stopped then proceeded to drive forwards regardless?? 

All in all tho, I recon that bloke needs to change those hideous looking shoes .. they are obviously pretty unlucky.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2015, 12:37:35 pm »
100% ?
Really?

Personally i would've just moved to the right, out of his path, with a couple of blasts of the air horn for good measure.

Yes, 100%

When someone links to a video like that, I tend to watch it thinking "I'm on my bike, what's happening and what would I do?"

Even with the fore-knowledge that *something* was going to happen, unless I was prepared with my thumb on the horn button or I'm set up to manoeuvre to the the right (and, not boasting, just putting these in as facts, I have fast reactions and I've done Advanced training) I think I may well have been caught out like him simply because it was *not* something I would expect.

The driver, on the other hand *should* have expected that there could be on-coming traffic, especially because he's turning into the side road at too great a speed to complete the manoeuvre without crossing the centre line.

The IAM's advice in such situations is that it is ok to cross the centre *provided* it's done as part of a properly thought out riding/ driving plan and with careful observation, plus, of course, the standard advice of "Always be sure you can stop in the distance you can see is clear" which obviously the driver did not do.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2015, 01:15:47 pm »
My advice in that situation is get the hell out of the lorry's way, rather than sitting there shouting at it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2015, 04:11:47 pm »
I agree with Graham here. Not convinced the lorry is indicating until the last moment as well.
And hands up darrsi if you have never googled a bird whilst riding.
He has 2 seconds to react when he looks back and I know looking at some of his other videos he ain't no advanced rider.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2015, 04:55:49 pm »
I watch this several times and could not make up my mind on it, but the previous comment has prompted a review and I think the lorry driver had not set up for the turn, he is very close to the kerb on the main road before turning, I would have expected a lorry driver to pull away from the curb as much as possible as it helps your lane position as you turn in to the side street.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
My advice in that situation is get the hell out of the lorry's way, rather than sitting there shouting at it.
:agree

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2015, 10:23:31 am »
I watch this several times and could not make up my mind on it, but the previous comment has prompted a review and I think the lorry driver had not set up for the turn, he is very close to the kerb on the main road before turning, I would have expected a lorry driver to pull away from the curb as much as possible as it helps your lane position as you turn in to the side street.

Even still, regardless of who's at fault, if you sense physical danger in any situation, trying to talk your way out of it simply doesn't work, especially when talking to a lorry with a crash helmet on.  :lol