Date: 19-04-24  Time: 01:25 am

Author Topic: Best mod/tweek  (Read 12573 times)

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Best mod/tweek
« on: 19 July 2015, 05:22:27 am »
Hi guys, foxeye's going in for an pre- MOT service. I'm just wondering which one mod/tweek would you do that would most improve the bikes capabilities.Already have fender extender/hugga combo,and would like to improve the bike whilst retaining it's classic lines-Cheers!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Best mod/tweek
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2015, 08:54:56 am »
Not a lot more you can do really unless it's subtle.

Shorty adjustable levers?
Braided hoses?
Renthal 758's
Different screen?
S/s down pipes and end can?
Custom seat?

Wicker basket top box :P
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2015, 09:06:45 am »
Rear shock
Some say...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2015, 09:11:35 am »
K&N filter, S1000rr rear shock and stiffer fork springs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2015, 11:40:30 am »
K&N air filter

15w fork oil
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2015, 02:56:53 pm »
Hi guys, foxeye's going in for an pre- MOT service. I'm just wondering which one mod/tweek would you do that would most improve the bikes capabilities.Already have fender extender/hugga combo,and would like to improve the bike whilst retaining it's classic lines-Cheers!

Here is what I have on my list:

The best upgrade - use good oil it is very important for your engine - done Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40 XP Synthetic Ester Based

The most important to improve capabilities and safety one - get Michelin Pilot Road 3's tires - planned after my current ones are for change.

EBC organic pads - I like soft controlled stops and do not like the pads to eat my discs - done.

The easiest mod done with the most effect on the bike would be to play with sprockets and final drive ratio.

Say change the front sprocket to 17 tooth if ride much motorways and make the revs lower or do it 14 tooth if you do much town commute and improve the bike pull force.

I've done 14t - happy as a pig in mud  :lol

China short levers - on their way from China  :)
Double Bubble Screen - have not decided yet on this one.
Basic Suspension mods - on my list but it is a lot fo work and I'm lazy  :'( :

1. Rear Nitron NTR R1 £400 - http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12796&prodID=74545
2. Hagon progressive fork springs with slightly heavier oil for the front £100 with the oil - http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=400-088-09

Renntec engine crash bars - not sure, probably yes if I do track days at some future point? http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/yamaha-engine-crash-bars/yamaha-fzs600-renntec-engine-crash-bars.html

Decent chain - done Tsubaki Alpha XRG.

Change the sparg plugs with Iridium ones - this is a very good mod, planned - CR8EIX £40 for 4 -  http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts/ngk-iridium-motorcycle-spark-plug-cr8eix

Change the air filter with KN - not convinced, there has been some issues here.

Change the fuel gauge with Multi-Gauge from Christian - planned - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13218.100.html

This one is nice the LCD screen Multi-Gauge shows many things like gear selection, fuel, temperture, GPS and many more, this one is very cool and I will do it soon  :)

Change the signals and rear stop light for LED - actually I like the old school and will not do that one.
Change the headlight for HID - do not think its worth the hazzle given the fact I am mostly day rider.

Upgrade the seat with memory foam - honestly the FZS 600 seat is so much better than the most modern bike seats like for example the new FZ6, that I do not see much point of doing that now. Will do when its worn £100 - http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

Get Remus Hexacone carbon exhaust - not sure about that one. The Remus has the best sound, however our Fazer is IL4, IL4s will never sound near the twin engines do they? Not sure there is any point to do that for road ride, still on my list £481 - Slip on kit Hexacone road legal with removable baffle carbon silencer - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/exhaust-systems-silencers/bike/yamaha/2000/fzs600-fazer/remus-hexacone-exhaust-slip-on-kit-road-legal-polished-stainless-silencer
« Last Edit: 19 July 2015, 03:26:39 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2015, 05:53:00 pm »

Here is what I have on my list:

The best upgrade - use good oil it is very important for your engine - done Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40 XP Synthetic Ester Based

The most important to improve capabilities and safety one - get Michelin Pilot Road 3's tires - planned after my current ones are for change.

EBC organic pads - I like soft controlled stops and do not like the pads to eat my discs - done.

The easiest mod done with the most effect on the bike would be to play with sprockets and final drive ratio.

Say change the front sprocket to 17 tooth if ride much motorways and make the revs lower or do it 14 tooth if you do much town commute and improve the bike pull force.

I've done 14t - happy as a pig in mud  :lol

China short levers - on their way from China  :)
Double Bubble Screen - have not decided yet on this one.
Basic Suspension mods - on my list but it is a lot fo work and I'm lazy  :'( :

1. Rear Nitron NTR R1 £400 - http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12796&prodID=74545
2. Hagon progressive fork springs with slightly heavier oil for the front £100 with the oil - http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=400-088-09

Renntec engine crash bars - not sure, probably yes if I do track days at some future point? http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/yamaha-engine-crash-bars/yamaha-fzs600-renntec-engine-crash-bars.html

Decent chain - done Tsubaki Alpha XRG.

Change the sparg plugs with Iridium ones - this is a very good mod, planned - CR8EIX £40 for 4 -  http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/motorcycling/motorcycle-parts/ngk-iridium-motorcycle-spark-plug-cr8eix

Change the air filter with KN - not convinced, there has been some issues here.

Change the fuel gauge with Multi-Gauge from Christian - planned - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13218.100.html

This one is nice the LCD screen Multi-Gauge shows many things like gear selection, fuel, temperture, GPS and many more, this one is very cool and I will do it soon  :)

Change the signals and rear stop light for LED - actually I like the old school and will not do that one.
Change the headlight for HID - do not think its worth the hazzle given the fact I am mostly day rider.

Upgrade the seat with memory foam - honestly the FZS 600 seat is so much better than the most modern bike seats like for example the new FZ6, that I do not see much point of doing that now. Will do when its worn £100 - http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html

Get Remus Hexacone carbon exhaust - not sure about that one. The Remus has the best sound, however our Fazer is IL4, IL4s will never sound near the twin engines do they? Not sure there is any point to do that for road ride, still on my list £481 - Slip on kit Hexacone road legal with removable baffle carbon silencer - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/exhaust-systems-silencers/bike/yamaha/2000/fzs600-fazer/remus-hexacone-exhaust-slip-on-kit-road-legal-polished-stainless-silencer

Maybe you should try shopping around a bit!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-NGK-IRIDIUM-IX-PLUGS-SALE-CR8EIX-YAMAHA-FZS600-Fazer-600-/151093548958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item232de0979e

What exactly are the issues with the K&N filter then?

Just found the plugs for £5.51 each delivered on Amazon!
« Last Edit: 19 July 2015, 06:08:26 pm by darrsi »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2015, 06:31:51 pm »

Long time ago I've read an article about the fact that K&N filtters do more air flow means it does more dirt in your engine too:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

I always has the feeling its marketing scam as proven by the ISO 5011 tests above.

« Last Edit: 19 July 2015, 06:32:41 pm by Val »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2015, 08:01:15 pm »
Think you're reading too much into it.
The overall feeling of throttle response is very noticeable with the K&N, that is a simple fact. I doubt there is any BHP increase, but it feels like the bike can breathe properly.
If we were riding through a desert on a daily basis then I would certainly stick with a paper filter, but we aren't and I've not read anything on here before about any damage caused by using one either. If they were that bad for the engine they'd have gone bust many years ago.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2015, 10:15:53 pm »

Long time ago I've read an article about the fact that K&N filtters do more air flow means it does more dirt in your engine too:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

I always has the feeling its marketing scam as proven by the ISO 5011 tests above.

You did not read the whole story then  :eek

« Last Edit: 19 July 2015, 10:20:06 pm by unfazed »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2015, 12:02:59 am »

You did not read the whole story then  :eek

I read only the parts I like  :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2015, 01:02:50 am »
 :lol :lol :lol Val

There was much debate a few ears ago on the K&N filters with people blaming them for problem surrounding Mass Air Flow sensors, but apparently unfounded (No US lawsuits to prove otherwise  :lol )
No disputing there is better air flow with a K&N, which is why they work well in the FZS600 as they run slightly rich to get around noise tests in Japan. Probably why most people felt a more responsive throttle when upgrading to a K&N and a nicer (louder) induction sound.
Higher air flow means is is less restrictive and probably allow minute dust particles through which a good paper filter would trap, but will this effect the engine, it probably will eventually, but the engine will most likely have failed from natural wear and tear long before these minute dust particles will cause any problems.

As Darrsi eluded to, they are in business a very long time and operate in the Lawsuit Capital Country in the world; that can mean only one thing, no one has taken a successful lawsuit against them for damage to any vehicle  :eek

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2015, 07:11:40 am »
Best mod you can do to the 600? Upgrade to the thou  :lol

With Jap bikes, it's nearly always improving the suspension that gives the most reward - means you've got more control of the bike, so can use the power it already has more effectively.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2015, 08:26:02 am »

Or buy a red one, like you did  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 20 July 2015, 08:26:39 am by unfazed »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2015, 09:22:50 am »

Think it all depends on which capabilities suit you best:- comfort, cruising, straight line, cornering, all year round riding, touring etc
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2015, 01:01:35 pm »
As for suspension I find the stock OEM perfect for me at 9 1/2 stone and I think that is the issue maybe it could be a bit lacking if you are fond of the pies
Screen I have found makes no difference to change to a DB
Best mods
hugger - non performance
rad cover - non performance
braided lines + performance
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2015, 01:15:48 pm »
Heated grips, and fit them now while the weather is nice.

dilboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2015, 02:34:20 pm »
Matt black paint and a toy rat  :)
"Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n' roll"

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2015, 03:05:07 pm »
As for suspension I find the stock OEM perfect for me at 9 1/2 stone and I think that is the issue maybe it could be a bit lacking if you are fond of the pies
Screen I have found makes no difference to change to a DB
Best mods
hugger - non performance
rad cover - non performance
braided lines + performance

at 18 1/2 stone with gear on the rear shock is well outta my range so i have an R6 one on now......soon as i get the front forks sorted with the new hyperpros i shall post back

Braided lines i have also fitted but am after a matt black rad cover as well...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2015, 06:00:54 pm »

am after a matt black rad cover as well...

Good luck with that because that is what I wanted -was even looking to get hold of a cheep rusty chrome one on ebay and paint it, gave up in the end and now have a chrome one like everyone else. I wanted black to make it "disapear" as much as possible just like the rad looks without it

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2015, 08:38:34 am »
Rear shock
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2015, 09:48:10 am »

With Jap bikes, it's nearly always improving the suspension that gives the most reward - means you've got more control of the bike, so can use the power it already has more effectively.
The R6 shock mod has made a huge difference to mine , power is nothing without control.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2015, 09:50:55 pm »
power is nothing without control.

Or is it control is nothing without power? :b

Best mods I've done are...
Lights (still working on them though)
Opening up the fuel breather hole.
Stiffer fork oil.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2015, 09:55:16 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2015, 07:16:22 am »
Thanks for the responses and ideas,guys.Well I took the bike in for it's MOT,and it failed on the fork seals.All good now though!After much thought and reading through everyone's responses,I think that a downpipe change is first on the cards,followed probably followed by a change of rear shock.Any other mod is going to be more marginal than those two,and,to be fair,the Fazer is such a good bike stock!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2015, 12:09:56 pm »
Be sure to read this before you touch the downpipes
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,16432.0.html