Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:13 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 641772 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2725 on: 03 November 2018, 06:29:56 pm »
Yep. Problem solved post Brexit. The supermarkets will be empty  :nana

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: 03 November 2018, 06:32:25 pm »
Just got back from the supermarket. People with big trolleys who dawdle and block the aisles. I just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Get out of my way. Worse are the old blokes on trolley pushing duty,  while their wives go through a paper list that goes on and on. You know who you are!  :groan
And people who leave their trolly at one end of the isle whilst they go off up the rest of the isle --- I like to put random things in their trolly for them 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: 03 November 2018, 06:33:01 pm »

Oooh, you naughty boy, you're not allowed to use the B word in here!  :lol

I was very careful not to say you're a typical selfish Remainer, but...  :b

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: 03 November 2018, 06:38:41 pm »

think how many packets of cigarettes they could buy instead.  :lol

There’s something else that gets my goat.  Smoking.  Why is it so foccing hard to give up?
Two weeks in (again) cold turkey.  Still craving. 
Could murder a smoke.

Ah BREXIT.  Supermarkets will be full of food but devoid of people.  The foodbanks will be full of people but devoid of food.
Maybe the EU will step in with humanitarian aid.
Did somebody say BREXIT?  :eek

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: 03 November 2018, 07:01:39 pm »
And the puffins will be extinct.....and we won't be able to find aspirin in the shops, let alone any real drugs........and the sky will fall in (again?).........

Lets get back on topic  :lol

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: 03 November 2018, 07:05:44 pm »
I'll tell you what's getting my goat right now.....whenever I start a new paragraph in a post, there always seems to be two empty lines in my posts between the paragraphs after I've hit the "Post" button, even though I only hit the "return" button to add one empty line each time. Then I have to go to "Modify" and back-space out the extra blank lines.

Ooohhhh, it makes me sooooo mad !

......and there we go, I've had to do it again....................................... :lol
« Last Edit: 03 November 2018, 07:07:21 pm by Millietant »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: 03 November 2018, 07:07:40 pm »
Oooh, you naughty boy, you're not allowed to use the B word in here! 

Sorry, I couldn't resist  :rolleyes

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: 03 November 2018, 07:12:00 pm »
I'll tell you what's getting my goat right now.....whenever I start a new paragraph in a post, there always seems to be two empty lines in my posts between the paragraphs after I've hit the "Post" button, even though I only hit the "return" button to add one empty line each time. Then I have to go to "Modify" and back-space out the extra blank lines.

......and there we go, I've had to do it again....................................... :lol
The opposite is happening also. It's taking out intended empty lines and closing paragraphs up together. I tried modifying but it made no difference.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: 03 November 2018, 07:15:28 pm »
Talking to a primary school teacher the other day, apparently the old nursery rhyme " baa baa black sheep" is now " baa baa rainbow sheep". Anybody ever seen a rainbow sheep? You couldn't make it up could you...when I was a kid there was a telly programme ( and accompanying song) called "white horses". Do you think if they remade it it would be called "rainbow horses"? People who see the word " black" as a racist slur when used in a perfectly normal context are surely the ones making it so. And that's what's gets my goat today.. ;)

Can you imagine coming out with a song"young gifted and white" ? bet it wouldn't even get published :eek
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: 03 November 2018, 07:17:18 pm »

The opposite is happening also. It's taking out intended empty lines and closing paragraphs up together. I tried modifying but it made no difference.

LOL....makes life interesting, doesn't it   :lol :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: 04 November 2018, 02:58:42 pm »
Foccing BT Sport, sat down to watch the MotoGP and halfway through the second lap the result came up on the bottom of the screen and the results for the Moto2 and Moto3 races. Unbelievable, and the presenters get worse every race and the claptrap they spout , bring back Parrish and Cox, at least they made me laugh sometimes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: 04 November 2018, 05:09:21 pm »
Foccing BT Sport, sat down to watch the MotoGP and halfway through the second lap the result came up on the bottom of the screen and the results for the Moto2 and Moto3 races. Unbelievable, and the presenters get worse every race and the claptrap they spout , bring back Parrish and Cox, at least they made me laugh sometimes.
Sounds like you had a nightmare in a bubble car

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: 04 November 2018, 05:32:52 pm »
Sounds like you had a nightmare in a bubble car

Yeah, I needed that like I need a third armpit. :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: 05 November 2018, 07:12:16 pm »
You know what's getting my goat right now?
BREXIT?  Well yeah.  But something else is getting my goat right now, and its being doing so this time each year since 2011..............
Poppy fascism..
Why does anybody have to explain not wearing a red poppy?  I mean what the fuck?.
Apparently a footballer I’ve never heard of has had to explain why he does not wear a top with a poppy printed on it. His name is Nemanja Matic.  I’m thinking – mmmmm – interesting name.  And guess what he’s Serbian.  Why would a foccin Serbian wear a red poppy.  How stupid can people get?
No, frankly I can't think of anything more tacky than premier league footballers with red poppies printed on their shirts.  This demeans and trivialises remembrance.   Quiet contemplation at at an English premier league football game – really? 
No longer is it good enough just to remember, but people today are more interested in being seen to remember.
Rant over.

« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 07:16:26 pm by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: 05 November 2018, 07:13:31 pm »
WhoopsFoccing forum gets my goat too! >:
« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 07:17:18 pm by VNA »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: 05 November 2018, 07:57:43 pm »
You know what's getting my goat right now?
BREXIT?  Well yeah.  But something else is getting my goat right now, and its being doing so this time each year since 2011..............
Poppy fascism..
Why does anybody have to explain not wearing a red poppy?  I mean what the fuck?.
Apparently a footballer I’ve never heard of has had to explain why he does not wear a top with a poppy printed on it. His name is Nemanja Matic.  I’m thinking – mmmmm – interesting name.  And guess what he’s Serbian.  Why would a foccin Serbian wear a red poppy.  How stupid can people get?
No, frankly I can't think of anything more tacky than premier league footballers with red poppies printed on their shirts.  This demeans and trivialises remembrance.   Quiet contemplation at at an English premier league football game – really? 
No longer is it good enough just to remember, but people today are more interested in being seen to remember.
Rant over.

You ask them what they actually know about either of the 2 World Wars and see what gems of knowledge are forthcoming ;) .
I choose to wear a poppy. I want to remember. After all it was that sort of freedom to choose which was one of the things they were fighting for surely?.
I don't just wear one because I feel intimidated to do so by some dumb footballer that knows nothing about the war and has just jumped on the bandwagon '' 'Cos it's a respect fing ain't it guv?" or because someone else demands to know why I haven't.
To be meaningfull Remebrance has to be a concious, personal choice doesn't it?. Surely if it's just been printed on a shirt and handed to you without your request or knowledge it's meaningless isn't it??
« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 08:01:46 pm by YamFazFan »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: 05 November 2018, 08:27:22 pm »
To be meaningfull Remebrance has to be a concious, personal choice doesn't it?. Surely if it's just been printed on a shirt and handed to you without your request or knowledge it's meaningless isn't it??
Agree.  It's nonsense.  It's not just nonsense, it's stupid nonsense, which I find offensive.
And fair play to Nemanja Matic, who has worn such a shirt in the past, to stand up and say no.  It does not make sense for a Serbian to wear a red poppy.

Personally I choose to wear a white poppy.  I don't want to wear Lady Haig's poppy, but I do want to remember.  And in terms of ww1, I want as much as anything to remember those who were sacrificed, and all who lost their lives
People should be free to remember as they wish, that is if they wish.  It's a personal thing.  Poppies, red, white, purple or whatever, should not be subject to group think, peer pressure or the mob mentality.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 08:29:17 pm by VNA »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: 05 November 2018, 08:34:48 pm »
Yes. Well said.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: 05 November 2018, 08:43:19 pm »
Got my poppy from the local chemist the other day, poppies on display in a box on counter but no where to put any money for them. I asked where to leave my donation the lady produced the collection box from under the counter apparently they have to keep it there as the last one was stolen 2 days before. The chemists is next to the doctors surgery approx. 1/2 mile out side the town. There are some real sad ba**ards about   stealing from a charity. Really p*ss*d me off  scumbags

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: 05 November 2018, 09:14:11 pm »
I think the BBC have a dedicated person who is in charge of making sure that every single person is wearing one

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: 05 November 2018, 09:31:16 pm »
They actually do have a box full in the studio that they keep ready to offer presenters/guests on the way in though don't they?.
Surely if you genuinely, sincerely wanted to wear one and remember you'd have your own on before you got there.
No one would just put one on for the benifit of the cameras would they? :rolleyes

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: 05 November 2018, 09:42:37 pm »
They actually do have a box full in the studio that they keep ready to offer presenters/guests on the way in though don't they?.
Surely if you genuinely, sincerely wanted to wear one and remember you'd have your own on before you got there.

Indeed.  Absolutely. 

No one would just put one on for the benifit of the cameras would they? :rolleyes

Oh yes.
 I believe it is an unofficial expectation that presenters wear one.  And it appears to be spreading to other channels.  Officially it’s their choice.  If you are in TV and you value your career you will wear one.  That gets my goat.  It’s plain wrong.

The other thing is we now have presenters and reporters abroad wearing red poppies.  How stupid is that?  The whole thing is becoming a joke.  It devalues what remembrance is supposed about.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: 05 November 2018, 09:43:29 pm »
Sure -don't display one its your choice But you will not be coming on air or invited (paid) to come back again.
Go ahead count the number of guests on BBC news / News-night / ect not wearing one.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: 05 November 2018, 09:53:40 pm »
Nemanja Matic has chosen not to wear a poppy because at the age of 12 he was bombed by NATO forces. He probably knows more about war than most.
I buy a poppy but don't wear it all the time. Actually I have some problems with WW1. Empire vs Empire, shell shocked soldiers shot at dawn, public schoolboys blowing whistles so that poor devils could run at machine guns. Lions led by donkeys. Not our greatest moments.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: 05 November 2018, 10:00:42 pm »
Actually I have some problems with WW1. Empire vs Empire, shell shocked soldiers shot at dawn, public schoolboys blowing whistles so that poor devils could run at machine guns. Lions led by donkeys. Not our greatest moments.

What has that got to do with remembering the sacrifices of those who died? It's not about remembering the generals, the politicians, who sent these men to the slaughter.