Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:47 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 641499 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2525 on: 11 September 2018, 08:51:44 pm »

How ridiculously competitive the vintage car racing had become at the Goodwood Revival.
Just watched a Lotus Cortina roll over about 5 or 6 times. What's the point in that?. Those cars have nothing to prove anymore.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: 11 September 2018, 08:57:16 pm »
But their drivers do.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: 12 September 2018, 12:58:15 pm »
There was a '62 V12 Ferrari in one of the races and I'm wincing every time it looks like coming close to a collision. Must be worth millions.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: 12 September 2018, 08:24:47 pm »
There was a '62 V12 Ferrari in one of the races and I'm wincing every time it looks like coming close to a collision. Must be worth millions.

You are totally right of course, but i managed to catch it by chance and was in total awe of some of the cars being chucked about, rather than being a show car all the time.
I'm not a car person at all but know a bit of class when i see it, and the sounds coming out of them was such a privilege to hear.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: 12 September 2018, 09:49:05 pm »

I sound like a bit of a killjoy curmudgeon don't I :lol
But I do enjoy watching them, just dread seeing these classic racers smashed up.

I guess there's a lot of historic racing taking taking place all the time, but I don't normally get to see it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2530 on: 14 September 2018, 09:00:33 am »

You are totally right of course, but i managed to catch it by chance and was in total awe of some of the cars being chucked about, rather than being a show car all the time.
I'm not a car person at all but know a bit of class when i see it, and the sounds coming out of them was such a privilege to hear.

:agree
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: 14 September 2018, 12:57:14 pm »

I think its great that the old cars are getting an outing, if you got the money better spent like that than keeping them in a heated garage.
What gets my goat is....people who don't indicate going round roundabouts if they are going right..traffic would flow loads better if they did.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: 14 September 2018, 02:24:09 pm »

And then not indicating left to leave the roundabout. In fact any failure to indicate correctly at roundabouts gets my goat, there's no excuse for not giving the correct indication at the correct times - all roundabout users are sat there and shouldn't be doing anything else other than negotiating the roundabout and indicating correctly.

While on road habits that get my goat there's these:

- coming to halt in a traffic queue then randomly creeping forward some time later before the queue has started moving. What's that all about anyway?
- creating a second lane when one is not marked, particularly approaching a roundabout
- sitting on the brakes in a traffic queue, dazzling drivers behind, particularly modern Mercedes that have very bright brake lights
- indicating right to pass parked vehicles - oh really you're going to pull out? I thought you'd plough into the back of that parked car... (similarly indicating right to join a main road at the end of a slip road - wasted information, nobody ever ploughs into the nearside verge instead of joining the main road.)
- using hazard lights when (badly) parked, particularly when the nearside lights are obscured
- slowing to 18mph and creeping around the outside edge of a clear roundabout. For crissakes, have you not seen and dealt with a roundabout before? Just straightline it and clear it....
- not merging in turn when two lanes become one, instead accelerating and closing the gap to make life difficult, slowing everyone behind

and finally the worst that's pretty much endemic in the UK:
- slowing and holding up a line of traffic behind to let in a vehicle, often slowing 20 cars (with all the ensuing brake dust emissions etc.) to enable one vehicle - that was waiting quite happily - to join a traffic flow. Extremely bad practice.

All these are covered by the Highway code but nobody seems to take a blind bit of notice.

« Last Edit: 14 September 2018, 02:28:01 pm by bludclot »
is it clean enough?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2533 on: 14 September 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
- indicating right to pass parked vehicles - oh really you're going to pull out? I thought you'd plough into the back of that parked car... (similarly indicating right to join a main road at the end of a slip road - wasted information, nobody ever ploughs into the nearside verge instead of joining the main road.)

I have to object to this one. My youngest son recently passed his driving test and follows the instructors brief of not indicating. My view is that they are wrong.

The reason is simple. Imagine you are following a large van in a smaller car / bike and the van didn't indicate but you didn't see the parked car and tried to overtake just as he pulled out without indicating.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: 14 September 2018, 03:31:26 pm »

It's all about giving and taking information. Yes in the case you outline indication is useful, perhaps vital information. When there's nobody else around or within striking distance of an overtake it's unnecessary.

I missed one out:

- drivers that leave a massive nearside gap in tight situations pushing them into the path of oncoming traffic....

« Last Edit: 14 September 2018, 03:40:09 pm by bludclot »
is it clean enough?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2535 on: 14 September 2018, 03:47:27 pm »

It's all about giving and taking information. Yes in the case you outline indication is useful, perhaps vital information. When there's nobody else around or within striking distance of an overtake it's unnecessary.

I agree with that. The problem is, for new drivers, its black and white. They get  in to a van having passed their car test and treat it exactly the same. They are not taught to drive differently or even the fact that if they do have to drive a van things like speed limits are lower.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: 14 September 2018, 05:41:35 pm »
I had to check it wasn't April 1st after reading that one darrsi :groan

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: 14 September 2018, 05:56:56 pm »

Where does it all end?  :grumble

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html

I guess washing powder manufacturers will find themselves in court over the invention and use of the phrase too. :wall

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: 14 September 2018, 06:01:36 pm »
You can't have some politically correct prick change the English language overnight.
It's a phrase that's even in the dictionary.
These people make me really fucking angry.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: 14 September 2018, 08:15:13 pm »
Yup that's the height of stupidity.  Though right now I only see that story on the Daily Mail, The evening standard and RT.  I can't say, but one wonders if there is maybe an element of creative journalism.

The reason is simple. Imagine you are following a large van in a smaller car / bike and the van didn't indicate but you didn't see the parked car and tried to overtake just as he pulled out without indicating.

What I find disappointing, which is similar, is the amount of people who don’t indicate when pulling out to pass a cyclist.  Cyclists can easily be hidden by cars never mind vans.  You get two or three cars not indicating to pass, then the next is right on top before they see them.    Even on the Fazer in traffic I indicate when passing them. 

Which is another thing, I always try to give cyclists plenty of room.  If it’s a quiet road and I’m blasting along, I ease up a bit or slow right down so as not to give em a fright. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: 14 September 2018, 08:35:27 pm »
It's difficult to give cyclists plenty of room even on the bike when they ride 3 and 4 abreast down country lanes where I live, idiot lycra louts even the horse riders are p****d off with them. Sorry no time for them think they are above the law and common courtesy on the roads.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: 14 September 2018, 09:39:47 pm »
Yup that's the height of stupidity.  Though right now I only see that story on the Daily Mail, The evening standard and RT.  I can't say, but one wonders if there is maybe an element of creative journalism.

What I find disappointing, which is similar, is the amount of people who don’t indicate when pulling out to pass a cyclist.  Cyclists can easily be hidden by cars never mind vans.  You get two or three cars not indicating to pass, then the next is right on top before they see them.    Even on the Fazer in traffic I indicate when passing them. 

Which is another thing, I always try to give cyclists plenty of room.  If it’s a quiet road and I’m blasting along, I ease up a bit or slow right down so as not to give em a fright.

You can't say......but you did anyway?  :z

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: 14 September 2018, 10:36:41 pm »
Horses  :rolleyes . Get my goat, all that faff and expense and they are ony 1HP
Why is it on the side and back of all horse transport "HORSES" - am I supposed to give a sh1t.Horsey people - how come any that you meet for the first time within 5 mins they will let you know they have a horse, --- I don't care !And then they go into ASDA/Sainsburys wearing shity clothes and wellies covered in horse shit -its just so everyone can see and they are going "OOH look at me I have got a Horse".Burgers on 4 legs. 

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: 15 September 2018, 08:40:10 am »
Why is it on the side and back of all horse transport "HORSES" - am I supposed to give a sh1t.Horsey people - how come any that you meet for the first time within 5 mins they will let you know they have a horse, --- I don't care !And then they go into ASDA/Sainsburys wearing shity clothes and wellies covered in horse shit -its just so everyone can see and they are going "OOH look at me I have got a Horse".Burgers on 4 legs. 

😂😂
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: 15 September 2018, 08:41:31 am »

Similar to car stickers with "Baby On Board".
I often wonder if the baby is actually doing the driving, 'cos there does seem to be a pattern that the owners of these car stickers all drive like newborn kids.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: 15 September 2018, 08:47:20 am »

Similar to car stickers with "Baby On Board".
I often wonder if the baby is actually doing the driving, 'cos there does seem to be a pattern that the owners of these car stickers all drive like newborn kids.

and another thing , why dont horse riders when on the road , clear up the mess left behind ?......like dog owners should.......
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: 15 September 2018, 09:10:58 am »
I think the baby on board is in case of an accident and the baby is flung somewhere in or out the car and the services know -- something like that is the thinking.
and another thing , why dont horse riders when on the road , clear up the mess left behind ?......like dog owners should.......
Yes it should be law that if you take a horse on the road it should wear a horse nappy - looks like a nose bag but fits on the other end. On a bike you come round a bend and hit that stuff you are in the sh1t literally. If I see it when I am out and on a straight bit I am always extra vigilant at the upcoming bends. The joys of riding in the Shires of middle earth.   

« Last Edit: 15 September 2018, 09:11:42 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: 15 September 2018, 11:09:43 am »
You can't say......but you did anyway?  :z

Well no I didn't.  I simply don't know.

So far, after the Evening Standard - owned by former KGB agent and now Russian oligarch Alexander Lebedev - the story has only been picked up by The Daily Mail, The Express, The Sun, Daily Star and The Telegraph, oh and Russia Today.  ie The usual suspects.   Just about everyone of them reports the story as quote - Evening Standard.

Again, I don't know, but if I had to place a bet, I'd say fake news.

But hey how dare I question a free London rag owned by an ex KGB agent. :eek

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: 15 September 2018, 01:10:19 pm »
But the left wouldn't bother to report it because to them that's how life should be and they wouldn't be at all upset or outraged by it.

They'd probably agree that the copper intended to be racist (even though deep down they know he didn't). They're always looking for offence where it doesn't exist. Consumed by the notion that everybody other than them is bigoted, nasty and hates everyone else when actually the far left are the most nasty intolerant lot there is.

« Last Edit: 15 September 2018, 01:33:01 pm by YamFazFan »