Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:40 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 641632 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2500 on: 04 September 2018, 05:42:52 pm »
We may joke about going senile but it's the one thing that really gets my goat seen some of my family suffer from that or the one I can't spell it's a cruel way to end your days.
My father died from alzheimer's in 2016 and my mother a year tomorrow from vascular dementia.  No it’s not much fun.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: 04 September 2018, 06:43:53 pm »
I've even took off my t-shirt once and threw it down the toilet, instead of the washing basket 😳🙃
Was alcohol per chance involved in that particular incident?

Sadly not haha

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: 04 September 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
Drugs?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: 04 September 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
Drugs?

I'm afraid not..... Just plain old brain fart

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: 04 September 2018, 08:15:28 pm »
Sorry to get political again :lol , but this seriously gets my goat.
Just seen a tweet by Corbyn;
Amazon has just become the second ever £1 trillion company after tripling its UK profits. But it paid £2.8 million less tax in the UK this year compared to last year. Does that sound right to you?
Does that not get your goat?  Seriously.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: 04 September 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
Yes no if's or but's

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: 04 September 2018, 09:06:22 pm »
Sorry to get political again :lol , but this seriously gets my goat.
Just seen a tweet by Corbyn;
Amazon has just become the second ever £1 trillion company after tripling its UK profits. But it paid £2.8 million less tax in the UK this year compared to last year. Does that sound right to you?

It does get my goat..... but at the same time there's sweet foc all we can do about it..... so getting my knickers in a twist will help nothing.
These super companies are becoming untouchable as nobody has the money or influence to stand up to them?
They have more money then entire countries so how can even a government hope to fight them?

All we could do is refuse to let them trade here but who will that help? Certainly not us little guys. It would just result in the price of everything we buy going up and nobody wants that.
Besides they aren't the only ones.... hardly any of the richest 10% in this country pay their share. From the premier league footballers to CEOs of the banks..... they all fiddle their way out of it while Joe public gets shafted if they take cash in hand payments.

But nothing will ever change the way things are, the peiole that running the show be it Labour, Tories, Lib Dems.... no matter the name they are all the same. They are all in it to line their own pockets, not ours.

And although I dream of the day that we all unite and overthrow the lot of um.... I sadly realise that even our sense of unity has been quashed. Not enough people would dare stand united enough to make a difference

So I'm afraid it seems to be a case of put up and shut up.... there's little to be done.
Sit back crack open a cold one and enjoy what you can in life..

Oh and do every lotto possible ( in the hopes you can join the top 10% and stop paying tax 🤪)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: 04 September 2018, 09:30:43 pm »
It does get my goat..... but at the same time there's sweet foc all we can do about it..... so getting my knickers in a twist will help nothing.
These super companies are becoming untouchable as nobody has the money or influence to stand up to them?
They have more money then entire countries so how can even a government hope to fight them?
The EU is looking at various options.  It's matter of closing down loop holes or creating an alternative way of collecting the tax.One proposal is an online retail transaction tax, which it is hoped will create a level playing feild for all retailers, online and high street.
But then we are leaving the EU.
But EU or not, it's still up to us.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: 04 September 2018, 10:19:19 pm »
The EU is looking at various options.  It's matter of closing down loop holes or creating an alternative way of collecting the tax.One proposal is an online retail transaction tax, which it is hoped will create a level playing feild for all retailers, online and high street.
But then we are leaving the EU.
But EU or not, it's still up to us.

But a retail tax will just be passed onto the consumer..... thus making everything more expensive for us. Amazon's profits will not suffer.

And I don't believe it should be a level playing field to be honest. I like the fact that online things are cheaper... and so they should be, there are less overheads running a website compared to a store. And at the same time I expect to pay a little more in store purely because there's an element of customer service being provided.

All these taxes brought in by governments just end up making things worse for us, just look at the sugar tax..... because some people have no self control the rest of us have to pay more. Same with alcohol and tobacco. They pitch it under the guise of public health but that's bollocks and they know it.

If Jonny fatfuck wants to eat 3 bags of Maltesers with his 20 fags and pint of ale then he will, wether that costs £10 or £30. The only difference is the amount of profit that retailers make

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: 04 September 2018, 10:47:23 pm »
A large part of the problem is that online companies get to choose where they pay their tax, and of course they pretend all their profit is made in the country with the lowest rates. There are EU directives relating to VAT to ensure all EU countries broadly follow the same rules, but not so for Corporation Tax. It becomes a race to the bottom, which Ireland and Luxembourg in particular, have followed.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2510 on: 04 September 2018, 11:36:27 pm »

Jeff Bezos is possibly the richest person in the world, yet his employees have to piss in bottles to avoid getting the sack...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-workers-have-to-pee-into-bottles-2018-4

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: 04 September 2018, 11:56:41 pm »
I've even took off my t-shirt once and threw it down the toilet, instead of the washing basket 😳🙃
Was alcohol per chance involved in that particular incident?

Sadly not haha

years ago I was cleaning windows on a ledge on a tall building in town,we'd stopped for a fag and I took a nub out and asked my mate for a light then proceeded to give him my nub and threw his lighter off the ledge,and I'd have been about 18 then. :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: 05 September 2018, 10:12:59 am »
Closing down loopholes just aint gonna happen. Ever. In the EU or out of it. As i tried to point out in a previous post, the politicians simply couldn't care less, any requirement for additional govt incomes will be met by new taxes/increases applied to the plebs. Ie sugar tax/alcohlo tax/vat increases/national insurance/income tax/travel taxes/ etc etc etc. politicians are spineless bastards, jellyfish floating on a sea of sewage, drifting wherever the current takes them.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: 05 September 2018, 03:55:13 pm »
They're not 'loopholes' they are major flaws. Corporation Tax was never designed to deal with multinationals, let alone those with no fixed base at all. But it will change. VAT on services (such as film streaming) are already taxed in the country where it is consumed, not where the supplier is (allegedly) based. Profit taxes need to be the same. Things are already changing https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/05/ireland-reaches-deal-with-apple-to-collect-13bn-in-back-taxes Amazon, you're next 😀
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 03:56:29 pm by mtread »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: 05 September 2018, 06:19:40 pm »

As i tried to point out in a previous post, the politicians simply couldn't care less, any requirement for additional govt incomes will be met by new taxes/increases applied to the plebs.

Well yeah, we’ve had a few decades now of self-interested self-serving governments, umm, that of course we elected. 

Your current Tory government ain’t too keen to resolve these issues, despite our massive deficit, as they invest in a lot of these companies, further they are looking towards their consultancies, or board positions when they retire from government.  They don’t want to rock the boat and miss out on their personal millions.

politicians are spineless bastards, jellyfish floating on a sea of sewage, drifting wherever the current takes them.
Elected by us.  We get what we deserve. 
Amazon, you're next 😀
Lets hope so.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: 05 September 2018, 08:33:39 pm »

. politicians are spineless bastards, jellyfish floating on a sea of sewage, drifting wherever the current takes them.

WOW WHAT A GREAT APT DESCIPTION
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 08:40:48 pm by steve 10562cc »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: 06 September 2018, 04:49:01 pm »

. politicians are spineless bastards, jellyfish floating on a sea of sewage, drifting wherever the current takes them.

why don't you say what you're thinking :lol

WOW WHAT A GREAT APT DESCIPTION

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: 06 September 2018, 04:58:14 pm »
was talking to someone and they said that when you receive a cold call for whatever subject they're on about PPI,accident,etc, you pay for the call,we had a bit of an argy/bargy about this but he was adamant he was right. Surely not ?If he is then that will really get my goat. :foc

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: 06 September 2018, 09:02:06 pm »

was talking to someone and they said that when you receive a cold call for whatever subject they're on about PPI,accident,etc, you pay for the call,we had a bit of an argy/bargy about this but he was adamant he was right. Surely not ?If he is then that will really get my goat. :foc

And I heard that Bob Holness played the sax on Baker Street :eek

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: 06 September 2018, 11:48:52 pm »

what!!! you mean it was someone else ? :eek

And I heard that Bob Holness played the sax on Baker Street :eek

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: 07 September 2018, 08:22:33 am »
politicians are spineless bastards, jellyfish floating on a sea of sewage, drifting wherever the current takes them.

Yes, accurate. Quite easily solvable however...

It is my opinion that politicians should be stripped of all money and assets once elected, given a (say) £1500 relocation fee in order to rent somewhere to live and then paid the national average wage monthly in arrears with no expenses added or allowed for the duration of their membership of the house. Then we would see only those that really want to improve our society making decisions for us with a vested interest in raising living standards for the masses. I suspect that affordable housing and transport would suddenly move up the political agenda.

All the time our 'leaders' are on a 85k basic salary the majority don't stand a chance of being helped very much.

It won't happen though.
is it clean enough?

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: 08 September 2018, 09:28:17 am »
Amazon and their like.........it's simple, Stop using them and buy elsewhere
fire never sleeps

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: 08 September 2018, 12:20:03 pm »

Or just stop caring about how much tax they pay, and get on with your life.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: 09 September 2018, 12:20:30 pm »

Don’t see what that has to do with it.  I don’t use Vodaphone but I still think they should pay the usual corporation tax in the UK – but they don’t.

Further Amazon isn’t just an online store, it’s a market place.  It’s getting to the point where it is almost unavoidable. 

Finally, if companies don’t pay their taxes the revenue needs to be collected elsewhere, that means you and I.  So that gets my goat. 

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: 09 September 2018, 08:24:42 pm »
VNA I rarely agree with much you say or believe but your spot on here no if or buts if we agree on one thing with no argument there's hope for us all.