Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:48 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 643276 times)

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2325 on: 26 April 2018, 08:38:32 pm »

A gauntlet of fair weather boys in the petrol station this evening.  Went in the shop just before me and made a predictable, lengthy, and frankly embarrassing scene when asked to remove their helmets.
They eventually did.  So I pay and exit, the bikers are now sat on a nearby wall smoking fags while one said "Geoff won't be long he is only coming from widnes".  So they were clearly intending to wait anyway and just wanted an excuse to argue with the garage guy...
I must admit I wont take mine off, helmet off , ear plugs out, its a faf, I will take mine off when everybody has to have their head and face exposed in petrol stations. I am all for fairness, same for all is no prob. If they wont turn the pump on til I remove my helmet I just lay the nozzle on the ground and ride off, they have to come out and put it back.
I found out recently that Shell garages have made it ‘policy’ for bikers to get off their bike before allowing them to refuel, because of the risk of spilt fuel setting alight on exhausts. The patronising pr**k behind the counter made it clear to everyone on the forecourt that I was doing it wrong by still being sat on my bike, over the PA system.  :foc
FFS !
So I now have to risk slipping over in the shity forecourt putting on the centre stand.
Also how likely is it that a hot bike exhaust would set alight to petrol.
Apparently there is video footage of a bike setting alight, or so the patronising pr**k claimed.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: 26 April 2018, 09:46:54 pm »
Petrol on a hot bike wont light. (30 yrs London fire brigade ) you need a spark. you could throw a bucket of petrol on a hot exhaust and it wont light

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: 26 April 2018, 09:58:48 pm »
Isn't it static electricity that starts most of the refueling fires?.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: 04 May 2018, 11:55:10 am »
The yearly stupidly overpriced insurance renewal, paid Bennets £124 last year for fully comp on my FZ1s, this year they want £298 plus £20 " arrangement fee" for the MT09.
Phoned them up, told me thats the price and could not do it any cheaper, onto the usual compare sites, £168 with MCE including helmet and leathers cover.
I get so pissed off at having to do this every year for bike and car insurance.

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: 04 May 2018, 01:32:24 pm »
A gauntlet of fair weather boys in the petrol station this evening.  Went in the shop just before me and made a predictable, lengthy, and frankly embarrassing scene when asked to remove their helmets.

Ironically I was asked recently to remove my helmet walking in to a Sainsbury petrol station, while there was a young woman working there (behind the counter) with her head and neck covered with a muslim head scarf !! One rule for them, another rule for us "TRUE" Brits!  :lol

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: 04 May 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
Petrol on a hot bike wont light. (30 yrs London fire brigade ) you need a spark. you could throw a bucket of petrol on a hot exhaust and it wont light

Mobile phones also don't cause petrol fumes to ignite. :) I watched a lengthy Mythbusters episode where they had a sealed Perspex case (about 2 metre square) that was FULL of nasty petrol fumes (much greater level than any open air environment of a petrol station forecourt). They tried LOADS of different brand mobile phones inside, switched on, ringing, etc. Nothing will ignite, zero spark! It's all public scaremongery.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: 04 May 2018, 03:26:59 pm »

Mobile phones also don't cause petrol fumes to ignite. :) I watched a lengthy Mythbusters episode where they had a sealed Perspex case (about 2 metre square) that was FULL of nasty petrol fumes (much greater level than any open air environment of a petrol station forecourt). They tried LOADS of different brand mobile phones inside, switched on, ringing, etc. Nothing will ignite, zero spark! It's all public scaremongery.

I also watched that episode, if I remeber right they showed it's more likely to start a fire from static build up and wearing one of them old fashioned shell suits the chavs like was the most likely way to ignite petrol while your filling up.

But Im pretty sure they also said that technically there is something like a 0.000001 odd chance that it can happen therefore the rule is more of a better safe than sorry kind of thing. The same reason your not allowed to use your mobile phone on a plane.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2018, 10:53:37 pm by Dudeofrude »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: 04 May 2018, 10:46:53 pm »
Ironically I was asked recently to remove my helmet walking in to a Sainsbury petrol station, while there was a young woman working there (behind the counter) with her head and neck covered with a muslim head scarf !! One rule for them, another rule for us "TRUE" Brits!  [/quote]
I think it very unlikely she was going to rob you  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: 05 May 2018, 08:10:40 am »

Fella at work calls me 'Magneto'.
There are are certain bits of equipment that i literally get a buzz from, as in a mild shock, which NOBODY else gets, and when we were in our previous building there was a lift on a mezzanine floor and i used to have to touch the button with my elbow otherwise there'd be a 2 inch spark if i used my finger. Never hurt so much with the elbow.
I hate shocks.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: 05 May 2018, 10:48:50 am »

Nope just doing her job serving all customers, including racists and bigots.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: 05 May 2018, 11:45:28 am »

Nope just doing her job serving all customers, including racists and bigots.
:lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 05 May 2018, 12:17:16 pm by unfazed »

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: 07 May 2018, 03:42:07 pm »
As far a the mobile phone ban whilst filling up concerned,  I always thought that the mobile phone signal interfered with the pricing counter on the pumps. But they told everyone that it was likely to start a fire so no one would have the phones near the pumps.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: 07 May 2018, 04:56:59 pm »
You mean you can't check grindr for a few mins while filling up? How very dare they!

People who insist on staying on the phone while being served at the till, fumbling with one hand to pay...
Intentionally left blank

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: 08 May 2018, 05:54:56 am »
I must be in the minority here.
Most times I stop at the petrol station I just take my helmet off. It gives my head a chance to breathe and let some fresh air into the helmet. It takes two seconds and is no hassle to me at all.
Sometimes I just flip the front part up but it is rare for me to do that.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: 08 May 2018, 08:10:48 am »
 :agree

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2340 on: 08 May 2018, 10:05:10 am »

There are are certain bits of equipment that i literally get a buzz from, as in a mild shock, which NOBODY else gets, and when we were in our previous building there was a lift on a mezzanine floor and i used to have to touch the button with my elbow otherwise there'd be a 2 inch spark if i used my finger. Never hurt so much with the elbow.
I hate shocks.

That will be your nylon underpants and/or socks that cause that
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: 08 May 2018, 12:54:43 pm »

I hate shocks.

That will be your nylon underpants and/or socks that cause that

Ha, yeah, i've had to stop wearing the Superman outfit to work these days.  :lol

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: 11 May 2018, 07:47:45 pm »
women drivers

I'm not sexist but in the space of 30 seconds today, 3 women drivers really made me shake my head in amazement

two x 2 lane carriageway, with standing traffic on the left side, but in lane 2 a wagon has broke down and has his hazards on......I'll come back to this

an ambo on a shout approaches from behind and crosses the centre line to pass the traffic......at the lights is a 90 degree bend to the left and a van comes around that bend and pulls over to lane 1 to allow the ambo through who's in lane 2 but going against the flow

a woman decides to overtake the van even though she must've seen/heard the ambo. The ambo holds position as he has nowhere to go (+ on a shout) and the woman in the car takes evasive action at the last minute......

I look across at the broken down wagon and two female drivers are now sat in lane 2 behind him, traffic moves in lane 1 and they're left sitting behind him whilst the rest of lane 2 changes to lane 1 to progress

even my dog was shaking his head at the 3 women
fire never sleeps

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: 11 May 2018, 08:49:38 pm »
women drivers

I'm not sexist but in the space of 30 seconds today, 3 women drivers really made me shake my head in amazement

two x 2 lane carriageway, with standing traffic on the left side, but in lane 2 a wagon has broke down and has his hazards on......I'll come back to this

an ambo on a shout approaches from behind and crosses the centre line to pass the traffic......at the lights is a 90 degree bend to the left and a van comes around that bend and pulls over to lane 1 to allow the ambo through who's in lane 2 but going against the flow

a woman decides to overtake the van even though she must've seen/heard the ambo. The ambo holds position as he has nowhere to go (+ on a shout) and the woman in the car takes evasive action at the last minute......

I look across at the broken down wagon and two female drivers are now sat in lane 2 behind him, traffic moves in lane 1 and they're left sitting behind him whilst the rest of lane 2 changes to lane 1 to progress

may its the beer but I could not follow ANY of that. I would say though about women drivers that gets my goat - every traffic light they come to they are flicking their hair or looking in the mirror at them selves - maybe the hair flicking is the unconscious picking of nose that fellas do, but it does make me think they are not really concentrating on the road constantly fidgeting.       
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: 12 May 2018, 06:00:43 am »
A few years ago the gearbox in my lorry was playing up. I was going up the hill on Stratford Upon Avon bypass and gradually getting slower which meant lots of downshifts. There was a car directly behind me despite there being an overtaking lane which was built specifically so traffic could pass slow lorries. My lorry gearbox decided at this moment it wasn't going to engage low range and I ground to a halt. The car stayed behind me, sitting there while other cars passed by. It wasn't that busy with traffic and he could have pulled out to overtake at any time. I sat there for a good twenty minutes while fiddling with the low/high range button until I heard it click into low range and could set off again. Maximum speed was 10mph going up this hill from a standing start and he still sat behind me. When I really got going and my speed got up to 50mph the car driver then decides to overtake in the most stupidist place possible.
Yeah, it was a bloke. I find that most of the really dangerous and thoughtless manoeuvres are done by blokes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: 12 May 2018, 07:08:33 am »
women drivers

may its the beer but I could not follow ANY of that. I would say though about women drivers that gets my goat - every traffic light they come to they are flicking their hair or looking in the mirror at them selves - maybe the hair flicking is the unconscious picking of nose that fellas do, but it does make me think they are not really concentrating on the road constantly fidgeting.       

I reckon you may be misinterpreting the signs me old mucker!
They're not looking at themselves......they've suddenly seen some knight in shining body armour on some gleaming black steed, thinking "Wow, look at that bad boy!"  :b

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: 12 May 2018, 07:28:53 am »
Male or female, lots of bad drivers... Why can't they be exceptional at it like me...
Intentionally left blank

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: 12 May 2018, 09:25:52 am »
yeah, lots of bad drivers but the thread is called Today's "What Gets My Goat"

emphasis on "Todays"

fazersharp.......its the ale.

a road with two lanes on each side, the ambo passes standing traffic on the opposite carriageway like you'll have seen loads of times. Oncoming van pulls over only for a goon behind the van to overtake and plays chicken with ambo

the other carriageway has a broken down lorry in lane 2 with goons sat up his arse for ages

all goons in the story are women

THE END :lol
fire never sleeps

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: 12 May 2018, 05:14:25 pm »
What about tomorrow!
Intentionally left blank

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: 12 May 2018, 06:05:47 pm »
yeah, lots of bad drivers but the thread is called Today's "What Gets My Goat"

emphasis on "Todays"

fazersharp.......its the ale.

a road with two lanes on each side, the ambo passes standing traffic on the opposite carriageway like you'll have seen loads of times. Oncoming van pulls over only for a goon behind the van to overtake and plays chicken with ambo

the other carriageway has a broken down lorry in lane 2 with goons sat up his arse for ages

all goons in the story are women

THE END :lol

Mad forgot his meds again this morning