Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:07 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642396 times)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2200 on: 19 February 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I wonder what kind of situations those studies were carried out in? If there were only a few cars around, I might be more inclined to believe it, but when there are millions of the things everywhere, I think they might have less effect. Same with hi-viz. It has to have something to stand out against. If everyone is wearing it, surely that effect is reduced?

Let’s remove lights from all road vehicles and see what happens.

One key thing of daylight running lights is that nobody can drive off at night without any lights whatsoever.
No but the tail lights are not illuminated so the vehicle is not visible from the rear.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2201 on: 19 February 2018, 06:06:23 pm »
No but the tail lights are not illuminated so the vehicle is not visible from the rear.

There is a MAJOR design flaw on some cars with DRL's that illuminates the dashboard lights at all times. Illuminated dashboards with some semblance of illumination at the front means people think they have their lights on. My Mrs has done it in her FIAT 500L.

for other muppets, it just shows how often they look at their speedo. Complete darkness = no lights on.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: 19 February 2018, 07:44:44 pm »
There is a MAJOR design flaw on some cars with DRL's that illuminates the dashboard lights at all times. Illuminated dashboards with some semblance of illumination at the front means people think they have their lights on. My Mrs has done it in her FIAT 500L.

for other muppets, it just shows how often they look at their speedo. Complete darkness = no lights on.

More and more cars like mine have daylight running lights and auto lights.  So no problem - unless.....  The only problem is it's switchable, so if you do move the switch from Auto to off or, well you know what's gonna happen - but hey daylight running lights save you from total catastrophe.

What I will foccing moan about is the wash wipe.  Whenever the HID headlamps are on and you hit the wash wipe – it sprays shit loads of water at the headlamps.

As it can get cold round here, I’m now going through shit loads of concentrated screen wash.  Now it’s no longer dark driving to and from work, I’ll tend to bump the lights off for a second to hit the wash wipe.

At least the darn thing has a warning light to tell me it needs topped up – which it frequently does.
Then there’s the dealer who switched the car from variable to fixed service intervals at the last service to suit themselves.  VNA will be having words with em boot that.   >: Stealers indeed.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: 19 February 2018, 07:57:34 pm »
Arse hole with mobile phone stuck on windscreen and facing driver playing episode of Mrs Brown while driving in heavy traffic
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2204 on: 19 February 2018, 08:06:00 pm »
More and more cars like mine have daylight running lights and auto lights.  So no problem - unless.....  The only problem is it's switchable, so if you do move the switch from Auto to off or, well you know what's gonna happen - but hey daylight running lights save you from total catastrophe.

My Audi is like that but the dash lights only come on (well stay on) when its dark if the lights are actually on (auto or manual). If you leave the lights switched off, the dash lights get dimmer when it gets darker.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: 20 February 2018, 10:19:50 am »

Politicians in Scotland agreeing to make us pay more tax than the rest of UK--what the F*** is that about???????

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: 20 February 2018, 11:17:46 am »
My Audi is like that but the dash lights only come on (well stay on) when its dark if the lights are actually on (auto or manual). If you leave the lights switched off, the dash lights get dimmer when it gets darker.

Has you're Audi also got Stop/Start?. If so what do you think to it?. Do you switch it off at all?.

All the cars I'm currently looking at are equipped with it.

I've heard that they have bigger starter motors, higher capacity batteries and modified engine bearings that retain oil cover better when the pressure drops.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: 20 February 2018, 11:37:39 am »
Keyless entry, stop start systems and electric handbrakes in cars.

Was going to change the car but cannot get a one without all that crap. :grumble

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: 20 February 2018, 11:58:42 am »

Was going to change the car but cannot get a one without all that crap. :grumble

The only one of them I have on my Hyundai i40 is start/stop and that doesn't work so all good haha

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: 20 February 2018, 12:27:44 pm »

:agree
And totally a LCD second dash I was looking at a picasso and the radio -air con - heating controls are on one LCD dash if the radio is on you have to "navigate" to the heating section to change that and then navifocinggate back taking your eyes off the road --stupid.   
Also push button start WTF - it actually takes longer than putting a key in and turning - all one action, but a push button you first push the keyfob in a hole in the dash and then press the start button -stupid.
AND i want a CD player please !!!!!!!!!!!
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2210 on: 20 February 2018, 02:41:38 pm »
Has you're Audi also got Stop/Start?. If so what do you think to it?. Do you switch it off at all?.

Yes. It does have the stop/start. Seems to be OK but doesn't always turn the engine off when you think it might. I turn it off sometimes just for peace of mind that the battery wont die on me (I know its meant to be intelligent) when it has been on/off/on/off too many times for my linking. There is a trick on the A6, keep your foot lightly on the brake pedal and the engine stays running. Push harder and it turns off (if it feels like it). My wifes 500L only has the button on the dash to prevent it turning off.

The electric handbrake works well enough but I do prefer a manual one.
The start button works well. Climb in the car. Hit the start button (you don't need to keep it pressed) and do your seatbelt up whilst the glow plugs and then starter motor do their job. As soon as you have the belt on you can drive away. When I had a Renooooo Laguna, it had a starting problem towards the end. The start button was good because I could press the button then nip round in front of the car whilst it was cranking away by itself and squirt the easy-start into the intake :) Couldn't do that with a key start.

The big LCD screen looks good but you have to go through 1,000's of button presses and menus to get to certain things like "Adjust the bass" on the radio. Also, its a single point of failure for multiple systems if it fails.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: 20 February 2018, 06:56:39 pm »

Yes. It does have the stop/start. Seems to be OK but doesn't always turn the engine off when you think it might. I turn it off sometimes just for peace of mind that the battery wont die on me (I know its meant to be intelligent) when it has been on/off/on/off too many times for my linking. There is a trick on the A6, keep your foot lightly on the brake pedal and the engine stays running. Push harder and it turns off (if it feels like it). My wifes 500L only has the button on the dash to prevent it turning off.

The electric handbrake works well enough but I do prefer a manual one.
The start button works well. Climb in the car. Hit the start button (you don't need to keep it pressed) and do your seatbelt up whilst the glow plugs and then starter motor do their job. As soon as you have the belt on you can drive away. When I had a Renooooo Laguna, it had a starting problem towards the end. The start button was good because I could press the button then nip round in front of the car whilst it was cranking away by itself and squirt the easy-start into the intake :) Couldn't do that with a key start.

The big LCD screen looks good but you have to go through 1,000's of button presses and menus to get to certain things like "Adjust the bass" on the radio. Also, its a single point of failure for multiple systems if it fails.

I didn't know you could press and release the start button. I'd assumed you had to hold like with a key ignition until the engine fires up.

All good info ta :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: 20 February 2018, 07:54:51 pm »
Politicians in Scotland agreeing to make us pay more tax than the rest of UK--what the F*** is that about???????

You might be paying more tax, and I might be paying more tax, but,

70% of Scots will pay less tax next year than this year.

Not to mention that overall, even higher income earners like myself, pay less tax than those in England when all taxes are taken into account. 

Just saying.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: 20 February 2018, 09:04:41 pm »
I dont like the electric hand brake and prefer a little bit of control and feed back. When I am on the Sharp Hall flat gravel driveway I only put it on a bit but wen I am on a steep slope I like to crank it up another notch. And how do hill starts work because a normal one you can let it off slowly and even yank it back up if you get it wron but an electric one is either on or off.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: 20 February 2018, 09:38:05 pm »
Regarding the electric handbrake, another piece of modern electronic wizardry comes in to play, "hill start assist". Slowly all the skill of driving,and riding for that matter, is being taken care of by magic bits of kit. Look at what's available on high end bikes nowadays. ABS, 3 or 4 engine maps, quickshifters,anti wheely, traction control, autoblippers etc. The list is becoming almost endless.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2215 on: 20 February 2018, 09:53:02 pm »
I dont like the electric hand brake and prefer a little bit of control and feed back. When I am on the Sharp Hall flat gravel driveway I only put it on a bit but wen I am on a steep slope I like to crank it up another notch. And how do hill starts work because a normal one you can let it off slowly and even yank it back up if you get it wron but an electric one is either on or off.

As said above, hill start assist comes into play. Basically the brake stays on until the car detects you trying to move then releases.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: 20 February 2018, 10:55:58 pm »
Ha, my focus has all that and more, speed limit recognition, lane assist, this is wear it either warns or actively diverts you if you start wondering out of a lane.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: 20 February 2018, 11:01:27 pm »
As said above, hill start assist comes into play. Basically the brake stays on until the car detects you trying to move then releases.

Is it still possible to stall with hill start assist, or does the system provide an anti-stall feature?.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: 20 February 2018, 11:17:59 pm »
Ha,  actively diverts you if you start wondering out of a lane.
WTF - like when I am avoiding a plank. brick. wheel trim ( Insert your obstacle here) i actively steers you back into it

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: 20 February 2018, 11:20:55 pm »
People who have their dash cam playing back the actual recording live to the back of the camera lcd screen WTF for !!!!!!!!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: 21 February 2018, 07:51:03 am »

:agree
And totally a LCD second dash I was looking at a picasso and the radio -air con - heating controls are on one LCD dash if the radio is on you have to "navigate" to the heating section to change that and then navifocinggate back taking your eyes off the road --stupid.   
Also push button start WTF - it actually takes longer than putting a key in and turning - all one action, but a push button you first push the keyfob in a hole in the dash and then press the start button -stupid.
AND i want a CD player please !!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of these features are becoming pretty much standard across the ranges now tho.

If you want a new car you're probably going to have to accept some of these things.

I'm not hankering for an electric handbrake and an engine that keeps cutting out, but what choice is there now?.

They lay half an inch of salt on the roads round this way nearly every night, so cars only have a limited life span I guess.

At least most of the new large saloon cars are stunning to look at unlike most of the new bikes where there now appears to be a competition to see who can come up with the most ugly disjointed look possible.

« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 08:46:03 am by YamFazFan »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2221 on: 21 February 2018, 08:51:50 am »
Is it still possible to stall with hill start assist, or does the system provide an anti-stall feature?.

No idea, mines an auto

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: 21 February 2018, 09:10:04 am »
The hire car we had on holiday last year had an electric handbrake. The only way it would stall on a hill start would be if you naused up your clutch control, just the same as having a regular manual handbrake. As has already been mentioned it releases as soon as forward motion is detected. No point in having a hill start on the driving test, maybe they don't anyhow as I passed mine in the dark ages :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: 21 February 2018, 11:47:30 am »
Fly by night builders that leave the road caked in mud and churn up the grass verge outside everyone's house for good measure.

They're always boasting how much money they've got, you'd think they'd chip in for a sweeper.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: 21 February 2018, 06:07:11 pm »
YamFazFan,

People who have their dash cam playing back the actual recording live to the back of the camera lcd screen WTF for !!!!!!!!

How aboot, people who moan and get upset about insignificant mince that nobody else has either noticed or thought aboot. :lol

I just thought that’s what it does.  I don’t notice it or look at it, it sits more or less behind the rear view mirror so I can’t see it anyway.  Never given it any thought.

Oh one reason for getting it was I stupidly thought it might improve my driving (one friend complained it’s like being in an episode of the Sweeney – and I was trying to take it easy!)

But naw the stupid thing just sits there gathering endless evidence of my bad driving.  A rolling two hours of highly incriminating evidence.  I should bin the stupid thing.