Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:05 am

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642958 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #2175 on: 15 February 2018, 08:18:33 am »
Another one - the army and when ranks retire they are always referred to as "Colonel Mustard-retired"  "wing Commander Bird - retired"

How far down the ranks does that go. Are there any "Private Tommy Atkins-retired"?

I could be wrong. (often am!), but I thought it was that you had to have held a field rank i.e Major or above (or equivalent i.e Lt Commander / Sqn Ldr) if it was Captain RN that's equivalent to Colonel /Group Captain!

most of us rank & file just use Veteran!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: 15 February 2018, 05:53:12 pm »
Another one - the army and when ranks retire they are always referred to as "Colonel Mustard-retired"  "wing Commander Bird - retired"

How far down the ranks does that go. Are there any "Private Tommy Atkins-retired"?

I could be wrong. (often am!), but I thought it was that you had to have held a field rank i.e Major or above (or equivalent i.e Lt Commander / Sqn Ldr) if it was Captain RN that's equivalent to Colonel /Group Captain!

most of us rank & file just use Veteran!

Thats what I thought as well, I guess like everything now its getting watered down.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: 15 February 2018, 10:41:40 pm »
How about, "Hedgetrimmer, RG500 rider (ret'd)?  Or, "Hedgetrimmer, Mini Metro killer (ret'd)? Or....jeez, come to think of it, I could have hundreds of titles. Most wouldn't be very complimentary though. Still, I'd be dumb enough to be proud of them  :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: 17 February 2018, 09:23:07 am »
Whats gets my goat today ?    That old chessnut ........car insurance........gets my renewal quote of £269 which I know is cheap compared with a lot of you on here but iam an old foccer who dosnt do many cage miles , limited to 4000 per year....but why is it that when I phone them up to cancel so I can switch to a better deal they can suddenly reduce the premium to £200 ...why not offer that to me in the first place   :wall

happy with £200 though   ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: 17 February 2018, 10:26:18 am »
New cars being fitted with with LED main lights - they are so focing bright and "glarey", compared to normal bulbs theres even that advert with the car making the fox squint - like its a feature that sels the car to nobheads cause it makes everyone squint   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: 17 February 2018, 01:36:29 pm »
New cars being fitted with with LED main lights - they are so focing bright and "glarey", compared to normal bulbs theres even that advert with the car making the fox squint - like its a feature that sels the car to nobheads cause it makes everyone squint

Don't get me started, and it means that said knob heads forget to turn there actual lights on in the dark.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: 17 February 2018, 02:16:49 pm »

Don't get me started, and it means that said knob heads forget to turn there actual lights on in the dark.

Never mind lights, these automatic braking  / collision avoidance systems that some new cars have, the knob heads think they don' t even have to brake or look where their going.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: 17 February 2018, 05:02:08 pm »

Never mind lights, these automatic braking  / collision avoidance systems that some new cars have, the knob heads think they don' t even have to brake or look where their going.

Ive a feeling these systems are going to create a legal minefield in future years

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: 17 February 2018, 07:45:30 pm »
Today, riding behind a line of cars, suddenly the rear passenger opens the window and tosses all his rubbish out.
Makes me fucking boil.
I wait for a safe moment, pull alongside, make a pointing gesture to the rear and shake my head.
A few miles along at a junction, I pull over and as they pass, the passenger window unwinds and a young lady calls me a fucking tosser.
I am now like a heat seeking misile, right up their chuffer  when they pull off the main road into another country lane.
I again wait for the right moment, overtake and bring them to a stop.
I realised that the driver and young lady didn't know what the retard in the back had done and although I felt like I was doing an impression of street budgie  :D  I had to unload and let them know what just happened and what I thought about it.
People who think it's acceptable to throw their litter out the window truly gets my goat.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: 17 February 2018, 08:53:36 pm »

It's become an annoying possibly dangerous obsession which even bikers are getting into.....
Not to mention the light obsessed cyclists out there
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: 18 February 2018, 12:52:03 am »
I had to take evasive action a couple of weeks ago on the A3 Southbound heading towards Petersfield, along the cycle path heading North on the Southbound side came two cyclists with LED headlights on I swung hard over into the fast lane as I thought it was a car on the wrong side of the carriageway, thankfully I was in the car, had I been on the bike it could have been a brown smudge moment.
Some of the bike lights are so bright now with a hint of blue just like the modern cars.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: 18 February 2018, 07:18:11 am »
Bright day running lights on cars If other drivers can't see a dirty great lump of metal hurtling towards them day running lights will make no difference, but they did to bikers when we first started using them now every ones got lights on so we have become invisible again.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: 18 February 2018, 10:16:15 am »
Bright day running lights on cars If other drivers can't see a dirty great lump of metal hurtling towards them day running lights will make no difference, but they did to bikers when we first started using them now every ones got lights on so we have become invisible again.
:agree Yep another stupid EU ruling we did not need

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: 18 February 2018, 10:38:03 am »

Perhaps one advantage of BREXIT is that we wouldn't have had to wait till 2011 for the EU to legislate on daylight running lamps.  Volvo first fitted them in 1984! 

What are the benefits of daytime running lights?
Studies have shown that DRLs can reduce the risk of road accidents.
A Canadian report from 1997 showed a 5.7 per cent fall in crashes for cars with DRLs fitted, while an American study from 2000 put the figure at seven per cent. The EU didn’t investigate the issue until 2003, but suggested a likely reduction of between five and 15 per cent.
Many new cars have instruments that are always illuminated, making it harder to notice when the headlights are switched on.
Daytime running lights are a useful failsafe in such cases, ensuring the car is always clearly visible.

« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 10:40:21 am by VNA »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: 18 February 2018, 11:33:48 am »

Studies have shown that DRLs can reduce the risk of road accidents....ensuring the car is always clearly visible.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I wonder what kind of situations those studies were carried out in? If there were only a few cars around, I might be more inclined to believe it, but when there are millions of the things everywhere, I think they might have less effect. Same with hi-viz. It has to have something to stand out against. If everyone is wearing it, surely that effect is reduced?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: 18 February 2018, 11:46:04 am »
Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I wonder what kind of situations those studies were carried out in? If there were only a few cars around, I might be more inclined to believe it, but when there are millions of the things everywhere, I think they might have less effect. Same with hi-viz. It has to have something to stand out against. If everyone is wearing it, surely that effect is reduced?

Let’s remove lights from all road vehicles and see what happens.

One key thing of daylight running lights is that nobody can drive off at night without any lights whatsoever. 

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: 18 February 2018, 12:09:35 pm »

Let’s remove lights from all road vehicles and see what happens.

One key thing of daylight running lights is that nobody can drive off at night without any lights whatsoever.

Removing all lights from road vehicles could possibly have a positive effect, people would drive slower and with more care.
There have been moves in the Netherlands and a few other places on a small scale, inlcuding the UK, to remove all road markings, signs and even traffic lights from areas creating a shared space, and the result was fewer accidents and less traffic stoppages as people were concentrating on actually driving rather than being distracted by all the road signs etc.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: 18 February 2018, 12:14:32 pm »

A Canadian report from 1997 showed a 5.7 per cent fall in crashes for cars with DRLs fitted, while an American study from 2000 put the figure at seven per cent. The EU didn’t investigate the issue until 2003, but suggested a likely reduction of between five and 15 per cent.
I actually agree with you BUT we are not talking about car on car accidents we are talking about bike lights that we used run and stand out in the daytime cause we were the only thing on the road in the daylight with a light (apart from volovos which were dim and yellowy ) but now our lights are lost in the sea of very bright LED DRL.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: 18 February 2018, 05:53:15 pm »
talking about bike lights that we used run and stand out in the daytime cause we were the only thing on the road in the daylight with a light (apart from volovos which were dim and yellowy ) but now our lights are lost in the sea of very bright LED DRL.

Yup, that used to be the argument when no cars ran with daytime headlights, except the aforementioned Volvos, which were heartily despised by motorcyclists anyway  :lol
And motorcyclists used to get upset when daytime lights on cars did start to become more widespread, especially when a car had a faulty bulb so only had one light on: "yeah, but you might mistake it for a bike and misjudge distances in the dark!" Er, that's in the dark...
Far more dangerous imo are these super-bright LED (or whatever) headlamps, and ALL headlamps if they're improperly adjusted, grrrrr!
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 05:54:17 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: 18 February 2018, 06:17:04 pm »

Perhaps one advantage of BREXIT is that we wouldn't have had to wait till 2011 for the EU to legislate on daylight running lamps.  Volvo first fitted them in 1984! 

Many new cars have instruments that are always illuminated, making it harder to notice when the headlights are switched on.
Daytime running lights are a useful failsafe in such cases, ensuring the car is always clearly visible.

Except they are not because most DRL's are only iliimunated on the front of the vehicle, which is fuck all use when you come up behind a dark coloured vehicle in fog. This has happened to me on several occasions.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: 18 February 2018, 09:00:13 pm »
talking about bike lights that we used run and stand out in the daytime cause we were the only thing on the road in the daylight with a light (apart from volovos which were dim and yellowy ) but now our lights are lost in the sea of very bright LED DRL.

Yup, that used to be the argument when no cars ran with daytime headlights, except the aforementioned Volvos, which were heartily despised by motorcyclists anyway  :lol
And motorcyclists used to get upset when daytime lights on cars did start to become more widespread, especially when a car had a faulty bulb so only had one light on: "yeah, but you might mistake it for a bike and misjudge distances in the dark!" Er, that's in the dark...
Far more dangerous imo are these super-bright LED (or whatever) headlamps, and ALL headlamps if they're improperly adjusted, grrrrr!

Totally agree.. Half my riding is at night and I’m sick to the back teeth of being blinded by the foccing things.
They’re far too bright and if that wasn’t bad enough, they’re blue… 6000K is far too hot. Anyone who’s been in the military, or stargazes, or hunts will say that it takes far more time to regain some night vision from blue light rather than longer wavelengths.
It’s high time the DOT caught up with the technology and introduced sensible limits for brightness and colour temperature.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: 19 February 2018, 06:40:04 am »

That's what i notice a lot of nowadays, cars parked up on the level at the side of the road and these brighter lights seem to be aimed straight into my eyes, i dunno how they get through MOT's.
There was a woman at work a few months back whose car failed its MOT with incorrectly adjusted lights and was moaning about it but i pointed out how bloody dangerous they can be at night for other road users, but are also not doing a decent enough job for her to see the road clearly either, and when there are so many potholes about it's very important to see ahead of you.   
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: 19 February 2018, 11:47:55 am »
As a recent victim of a seized EXUP valve, today its the gall of Yamaha to charge £450 for a new replacement!!!  :eek

And so the price of used ones are extortionate as well. £100+ unless you get lucky. Madness. When they know its a weak point and that its never officially called for to be serviced. Bastards. Least they could do is get a few thousand more made up and then sell them off cheap.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: 19 February 2018, 03:22:27 pm »
Agree about the bright led lights. Of course a lot of the newer cars they are fitted to won't get MOT'd for 3 years, so they'll be driving round in a dangerous state until then. Also saw a TV programme suggesting a lot of the replacement bulbs are cheap fakes and the beam spread is all wrong.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2199 on: 19 February 2018, 05:08:35 pm »

:agree

Add to that the ones that the average Halfords assistant monkey fits upside down for the princely sum of £5 (or whatever it is) making the reflector unable to even try to do its job properly and the focwits who badly fit HID's to their cars because "they look good" or the cnuts that have a blown headlight bulb so drive around with their fog lights on as well (often only one fog light as the other has blown too)

Just on a short drive after dark I reckon 20%-25% of cars have misaligned headlights and a further 20-25% (may be the same ones) have at least one brake light that doesn't work. Often with the brake lights, its 2 out of 3 that don't work.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again