Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:22 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642404 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #1950 on: 13 January 2018, 02:06:55 pm »
Parents that don't control their children from running riot in places such as supermarkets.

And the public who basically endorse it by cooing and laughing at it.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: 13 January 2018, 06:07:53 pm »
Parents that don't control their children from running riot in places such as supermarkets.

And the public who basically endorse it by cooing and laughing at it.

Whadda ya mean? goddammit and I only went out to git me sum chewin baccy.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: 13 January 2018, 06:31:00 pm »
 :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: 14 January 2018, 10:52:11 am »
The sections of The Left that try to oppress free speech just because they don't agree with it :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1954 on: 14 January 2018, 12:46:47 pm »
The sections of The Left that try to oppress free speech just because they don't agree with it :rolleyes

People who think that the Right of Freedom of Speech includes the Right to a platform to express it wherever they like...

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: 14 January 2018, 01:23:12 pm »

People who think that the Right of Freedom of Speech includes the Right to a platform to express it wherever they like...

Good point.

Funny how that platform nearly always appears to be open to The Left, but is often closed to anyone that disagrees with them :rolleyes

I read an article in the paper the other day which said they are going to stop the university's from closing down debate by 'no-platforming' speakers that hold views the majority of students don't agree with.

There's talk that it could be illegal.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: 14 January 2018, 01:45:36 pm »

Funny how that platform nearly always appears to be open to The Left, but is often closed to anyone that disagrees with them :rolleyes

With freedom of speech comes responsibility.  If ‘you’ say something dumb, stupid, dangerous, racist or offensive, it’s anybody and everybody’s right to express their disproval and/or protest ‘your’ comments.

The fact is, it is usually those who detest real freedom of speech, as we increasingly have today, who complain that their freedom of speech is being infringed.  And lets face it, it’s easier to scream – you are infringing my freedom of speech – than address the substance of debate or to defend unreasonable comments.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: 14 January 2018, 02:02:45 pm »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: 14 January 2018, 02:07:47 pm »
I see some of the university's  'debating society's' even tried to stop Germaine Greer from speaking.

You couldn't make it up! :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: 14 January 2018, 02:17:50 pm »
I see some of the university's  'debating society's' even tried to stop Germaine Greer from speaking.

I think you just did.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: 14 January 2018, 02:24:11 pm »

I think you just did.

I think not ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/23/petition-urges-cardiff-university-to-cancel-germain-greer-lecture

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: 14 January 2018, 02:28:00 pm »
From your link;

The petition on Change.org was started by Rachael Melhuish, women’s officer at the university’s students’ union

Thank-you for proving my point.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: 14 January 2018, 02:38:57 pm »
From your link;

The petition on Change.org was started by Rachael Melhuish, women’s officer at the university’s students’ union

Thank-you for proving my point.

Oh alright! :rolleyes. I was close tho :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: 14 January 2018, 02:55:53 pm »
Oh alright! :rolleyes. I was close tho :lol

A mile off.  If that's close.

The petition on Change.org was started by Rachael Melhuish, women’s officer at the university’s students’ union, and alleges that Greer has “demonstrated misogynistic views towards trans women, including continually misgendering trans women and denying the existence of transphobia altogether”.

So Ms Melhuish finds Germaine Greer’s views deeply offensive, and as such is exercising her democratic right to object to Ms Greer having been invited by the University to speak.

The petition urging the university to cancel the event had been signed by more than 300 people by early Friday afternoon. The university has more than 30,000 students.

The lecture went ahead.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: 14 January 2018, 03:09:06 pm »
I was chuffed to bits for a minute there. I thought I'd defeated foc-u's political editor :lol. Might have known the elation would be short lived :'(

I would dispute it being 'A mile off' though. She is associated with the university isn't she?.

I'm sure there's been similar cases elsewhere also.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: 14 January 2018, 04:02:36 pm »

But what is it that you are objecting to?  A student’s right to object to views that they find offensive?

There's talk that it could be illegal.

Make what illegal?  People objecting to what they consider offensive views.
Isn’t this whole non-story actually the real attack on freedom of speech.

Meanwhile ;
according to the Mail Germaine Greer was nearly stopped from speaking at a lecture at Cardiff University” when she was nothing of the sor[/font]t[/font] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4334776/Johnson-orders-universities-protect-freedom-speech.html

And,
The Telegraph states that Germaine Greer has been blacklisted by student groups.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/12008763/Revolting-students-are-nothing-new.html[/font]
[/font]

All bull shite.  Certain news papers make stuff up daily.

So, isn't that actually the wrong way round. 

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 04:03:58 pm by VNA »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: 14 January 2018, 05:02:27 pm »
People who complain that someone else earns more than them (for the same/similar role). Take a leaf from my book. Whenever I become unhappy with my earnings, I asked for an increase. If I didnt get it, I left and went somewhere the pay was better.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: 14 January 2018, 05:26:50 pm »

But what is it that you are objecting to?  A student’s right to object to views that they find offensive?

No, most definitely not.

I'm objecting to that student attempting to stop the person who holds the view that they don't agree with from attending a debate.

I don't think that's a healthy attitude in a democracy....' I don't agree with you so you're not coming'

I find that childish, slightly sinister and it implies that they are correct with no debate.

It's the same with Sadiq Khan's showboating saying that Donald Trump isn't welcome here. He won a free and fair election. Perhaps the democrats should have fought a better campaign?.

Let him come and debate. If the people hear all the views they can make their own minds up can't they.

I'd of thought The Mayor of London would be better off concentrating his efforts on reducing knife crime in the capital.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: 14 January 2018, 05:55:04 pm »

I'm objecting to that student attempting to stop the person who holds the view that they don't agree with from attending a debate.
I find that childish, slightly sinister and it implies that they are correct with no debate.
Once again you are getting it all wrong.  Debate is not the issue, it’s speeches, lectures or addresses.  These little details are very important when you are making bold statements, such as claiming that freedom of speech is under threat in our universities.
It's the same with Sadiq Khan's showboating saying that Donald Trump isn't welcome here. He won a free and fair election. Perhaps the democrats should have fought a better campaign?.

Let him come and debate. If the people hear all the views they can make their own minds up can't they.
Donald Trump is not, never was and would not come to the UK to debate.  He was coming to open the new US embassy in London.  Donald Trump has snubbed the UK.  So much for our special relationship :lol   

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: 14 January 2018, 06:05:53 pm »
Once again you are getting it all wrong. 

Foc I'm having bad day today aren't I ;) :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: 14 January 2018, 06:25:28 pm »
I read an article in the paper the other day which said they are going to stop the university's from closing down debate by 'no-platforming' speakers that hold views the majority of students don't agree with.

Here it is, from my local newspaper......

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/universities-should-stop-no-platforming-14081735

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: 14 January 2018, 07:14:46 pm »
 OK.  But I don't think, or at least I most certainly hope that Mr Johnston will not get far with that. 
What Mr Johnson seems to be saying is that Universities will be fined for the actions of its Students Union.  The Students Union is of course independent of the Universities.

My Johnson, a member of Conservative Friends of Israel,  in any case seems to be just a little selective when it comes to free speech.  Here’s a letter he’s already sent to the head of Universities UK.

http://freespeechonisrael.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Jo-Johnson-antisemitism-on-campus.jpg

And according to the Jewish News - http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/ucl-jo-johnson/#comments – Mr Johnston wants to “wipe out anti-Israeli scourge” 
Mr Johnston is not a man who believes in free speech.

« Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 07:15:37 pm by VNA »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: 14 January 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
For focs sake YamFazFan what did you wake VNA up for! Another thread filled up with political shite.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: 14 January 2018, 07:38:55 pm »
OK.  But I don't think, or at least I most certainly hope that Mr Johnston will not get far with that. 
What Mr Johnson seems to be saying is that Universities will be fined for the actions of its Students Union.  The Students Union is of course independent of the Universities.

My Johnson, a member of Conservative Friends of Israel,  in any case seems to be just a little selective when it comes to free speech.  Here’s a letter he’s already sent to the head of Universities UK.

http://freespeechonisrael.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Jo-Johnson-antisemitism-on-campus.jpg

And according to the Jewish News - http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/ucl-jo-johnson/#comments – Mr Johnston wants to “wipe out anti-Israeli scourge” 
Mr Johnston is not a man who believes in free speech.

Well I believe in free speech and long may it continue, whatever ones political colours may be.

Politically I'm a bit of an everyman really. I agree with some of the policies of both the main parties. I don't feel totally comfortable voting for any one party to be honest.

:thinkVote  :faz

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: 14 January 2018, 07:39:52 pm »
For focs sake YamFazFan what did you wake VNA up for! Another thread filled up with political shite.

:lol :lol :lol :lol sorry :o