Date: 24-04-24  Time: 16:33 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 658400 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #1875 on: 22 December 2017, 07:32:35 am »

Sorry Celticdog, was that aimed at me?

No fella, it's nothing more than my failed attempt at humour!

:rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1876 on: 22 December 2017, 09:09:07 am »
Now then I might be part of this problem because I have a boxeye with modded lights so both sides are on which means that the right side points to the right for continental riders so that it points to their kerb but when we mod the bike to get both lights on it means that the left light has a bias to the kerb but the right light also has its bias to the right ( for continental)  so even though it is not full beam the right light it is pointing at the on coming traffic and does look brighter than the left one     

Your wrong.
The headlight assembly for continental bikes has a different part number as it is designed to use the same (left hand ) bulb for dipped beam but kicks up to the right instead of the left.

If yours is kicking up on the right, you need to adjust the feccer.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: 22 December 2017, 12:36:47 pm »
Now then I might be part of this problem because I have a boxeye with modded lights so both sides are on which means that the right side points to the right for continental riders so that it points to their kerb but when we mod the bike to get both lights on it means that the left light has a bias to the kerb but the right light also has its bias to the right ( for continental)  so even though it is not full beam the right light it is pointing at the on coming traffic and does look brighter than the left one     

Your wrong.
The headlight assembly for continental bikes has a different part number as it is designed to use the same (left hand ) bulb for dipped beam but kicks up to the right instead of the left.

Just to be clear I am talking left and right as sitting on the bike
I have done the two lights on mod - both dipped and when you look from the front at the lights the left one looks brighter.
I always thought the continental units were exactly the same and it was just in this country we only used the left kerb side light and over there they only used the right -their kerbside light and in each case the light is biased to the kerb. Cars are the same and that is why a car sitting on the right (your left ) looks brighter cause the lights are pointing to the left and now at you.
I might be getting confused 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: 22 December 2017, 01:22:32 pm »

Your wrong.

I have done the two lights on mod - both dipped and when you look from the front at the lights the left one looks brighter.
I always thought the continental units were exactly the same and it was just in this country we only used the left kerb side light and over there they only used the right -their kerbside light and in each case the light is biased to the kerb. Cars are the same and that is why a car sitting on the right (your left ) looks brighter cause the lights are pointing to the left and now at you.

“Just to be clear....”  :rollin

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1879 on: 22 December 2017, 01:53:16 pm »

So was I

you are confused. they use the left bulb for dipped just like we do. the reason it looks brighter is because it was never meant to be a dipped bulb in there which is why it is not cabled up from the factory.

« Last Edit: 22 December 2017, 01:54:20 pm by BBROWN1664 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: 22 December 2017, 02:46:04 pm »
Ok so you are saying that the right hand unit is angled up for when the full beam second filament in the two filament bulb lights up along with the left hand units full beam filament. Giving a two light full beam. 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1881 on: 22 December 2017, 03:15:46 pm »
Left hand unit only has a single filament. It is for dipped beam only.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: 22 December 2017, 09:49:01 pm »
Stupid design in fairness, which i believe was corrected in later models with 2 x H4 bulbs.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: 23 December 2017, 01:29:35 pm »
Over the top extravagant whistling in public. Usually some old boy that's really proud that he reproduce a dawn chorus at full volume.

And people who have a fag constantly hanging out of their gob whilst driving without appearing to ever take it out to tip the ash.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: 23 December 2017, 06:56:43 pm »

And people who have a fag constantly hanging out of their gob whilst driving without appearing to ever take it out to tip the ash.

Bloody vapers are worse, either they have windows down laying down a smokescreen like a WW2 destoyer or the windows are closed and it looks like a smoke bomb has gone off inside the car, people seem unable to let go of the foccing things!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: 23 December 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
They are unable to let go of them because they're worse than fags. At least you finish a fag whereas vapes go on all day.
People think they are less harmful than fags but we know virtually nothing about the effects of them.
I have a theory that they will be harder to kick than fags and in the long term will be more damaging - people are being fooled into believing that they are a clean substitute to smoking.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: 23 December 2017, 10:29:11 pm »
They are unable to let go of them because they're worse than fags. At least you finish a fag whereas vapes go on all day.
People think they are less harmful than fags but we know virtually nothing about the effects of them.
I have a theory that they will be harder to kick than fags and in the long term will be more damaging - people are being fooled into believing that they are a clean substitute to smoking.

Now I'm not and have never been a smoker (or 'vaper') but I can't honestly see how nicotine mixed with water vapour could be more harmful than a cigarette that's proven to contain nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic just to name a few.
The government are just pissed at the minute because they are losing shit tonnes of tax revenue from cigarettes so they are pushing these 'scientific' tests and reports that claim vaping is dangerous to try and dissuade people from doing it in the hope they'll then stop buying £5 bottles of oil that lasts a month and go back to spending £10 a day.
I'm sure they'll change their tune once they find a way to heavily tax vaping

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: 23 December 2017, 10:58:28 pm »
Used to smoke players number 6 plain leave them in your mouth till they burnt your lips ex smoker now of 30years and yes could still start again never a  non smoker always an ex smoker

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: 23 December 2017, 11:09:25 pm »
 :agree
You still get that urge when someone lights up.
Vapes, contrary to popular belief, are not water, they are propeleneglycol. The same stuff they are making antifreeze out of these days.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: 24 December 2017, 08:36:32 am »
Now I'm not and have never been a smoker (or 'vaper') but I can't honestly see how nicotine mixed with water vapour could be more harmful than a cigarette that's proven to contain nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic just to name a few.

It is the nicotine that is the addictive part of smoking - yes all the other parts of the tobacco contain all the filth.
Vapes contain nicotine + whatever the carrying agent is - People are vaping more than they were smoking, their nicotine intake is higher than when they were smoking because it doesn't end. When the vape goes wrong (and they haven't got another one) they are smoking fags within 5 minutes because they need the nicotine.
I have tried a vape. I am allergic to them as they make me choke (I can smoke fags easily) so there is something in the carrying agent that is not good for you - the fact that other people can withstand the effects doesn't make them better than fags. We just aren't aware of the long term effects yet.

The only substitute to smoking is quit anything that contains nicotine.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: 24 December 2017, 09:02:55 am »
Easy way to quit smoking ............grow some balls and stop buying the foccin things...... :rolleyes

lights the fuse and stands well back           :2guns   
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: 24 December 2017, 10:46:05 am »
What gets me is why they have to produce so much fake smoke - it just looks stupid

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1892 on: 24 December 2017, 12:41:01 pm »

Michael Mosley took up vaping as part of a BBC Documentary and commented:

To be honest when I took up vaping I wasn't that worried about the short term health effects. What I was far more concerned about was getting hooked on nicotine. Yet as the weeks went by and I puffed away, nothing happened. When I leapt out of bed I didn't feel a longing to reach for my machine. If anything I found it a bit of a chore.

Chatting to experts I discovered, to my considerable surprise, that although cigarettes are highly addictive, nicotine alone may not be. Although no-one knows for sure, research in animals suggests that nicotine is far more addictive when delivered in combination with the other chemicals found in regular cigarettes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36338280

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: 24 December 2017, 02:31:12 pm »
What gets me is why they have to produce so much fake smoke - it just looks stupid

They don't, that's just an add on effect if you like the idea of resembling a steam train.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: 24 December 2017, 08:31:39 pm »
Michael Mosley took up vaping as part of a BBC Documentary

I can relate to some of the points but not all of them.

If he had been a smoker in the first place it would have given more weight to his views. As he wasn't already hooked on nicotine he didn't really have the desire for the vape as he had no withdrawal effects to relieve. Running the risk of becoming hooked for a documentary would be very silly and I wonder which level of nicotine he was using in his vape liquids, they can be very low or even contain no nicotine at all...

One of the reasons I believe vapes will be harder to quit is the fact that they taste nice - one of my mates said "It's like having sweets" (that is a direct quote) - most smokers want to quit fags because they taste foul. Don't worry about the health aspects, if smokers worried about it enough they'd have already quit.

Easy way to quit smoking ............grow some balls and stop buying the foccin things...... :rolleyes
lights the fuse and stands well back           :2guns   

Yep and the majority of smokers will agree with you - I certainly do. It's growing the balls that is the problem...

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: 24 December 2017, 09:10:53 pm »
Anyone would think that smoking is already a crime altogether in this country. It's still a legal product.

The government is happy to collect the tax from them, but then they'd say that's to put people off buying them I guess.

I'd heard that the tax revenue from them would cover the whole NHS budget, but I don't know if that claim is verified or substantiated.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: 24 December 2017, 09:20:01 pm »
Don't worry about the goverment losing tax revenue from cigs, they are just replacing that revenue with plans to raise tax on alcohol, salty snacks, chocolate, sweets etc because they are all bad for you so they are just doing it for your own good.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: 24 December 2017, 11:34:44 pm »
Don't know how I quit smoking tried loads of times, quit several time for 6/9 months always started again. Got up 1st Jan 1990  throw 20 players number 6 in the bin along with my lighter not touched one since, never set out or had any intention to do it that day I'd smoked 30 a day for 18 years. Still don't know how or why I stopped that time and not the other times I'd tried. Still could strangle a smoke on the odd occasion, but never touched one since that day.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: 24 December 2017, 11:50:26 pm »
The thing I don't understand is why the UK government haven't already banned the sale of cigarettes.

It's been proven that they are harmful to health, as were a lot of other products which have been outlawed, but not fags?. Odd. I can't imagine it's the tax revenue?. Surely not? :rolleyes

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: 25 December 2017, 07:34:55 am »
If they banned them for the dangers they would also have to ban alcohol and they ain't gonna do that.