Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:12 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 642331 times)

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #1825 on: 07 December 2017, 11:25:46 am »
Highways England. Nuff said.
Yesterday a lorry broke down where the M5 Northbound joins the M42. Now being a good driver and due to the absence of a hard shoulder he tucked his lorry into the start of the cones which close off the fast lane (and that's another gripe). So what do the HE do? They have the signs for the preceding 5 miles saying fast lane closed due to obstruction. So everyone gets into the remaining 3 lanes which of course then grind to a halt. Why on earth couldn't they just have a 1 mile warning? It's not like he was causing an obstruction in any case.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: 07 December 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
Home owning pensioners who claim...'It was just as difficult for us to buy 50 years ago!'

Around this way average house prices are now over 14 times average salary.

Don't think that was the case in 1967 :rolleyes

I'm in London, you can multiply that quite a bit more.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: 07 December 2017, 02:32:41 pm »
Home owning pensioners who claim...'It was just as difficult for us to buy 50 years ago!'

I'm Cambridge. I think we are 2nd or 3rd behind London in the bonkers prices league along with Oxford.

Contrary to popular belief not everyone in Cambridge is a university don or a company director.

This horrible old witch phoned into Nicky Campbell's Radio 5 show last week claiming the reason younger people can't get on the housing ladder is because they won't cut back and go without like they did all those years ago (when purely by coincidence prices were a fraction of what they are now, even allowing for inflation).

That generation had the best of the lot.

Secure jobs, affordable housing, final salary pensions, free university education, retirement at 65 (and in many cases earlier).

Contrast that with what the young generation now have to look forward too.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: 07 December 2017, 02:49:14 pm »

I'm Cambridge. I think we are 2nd or 3rd behind London in the bonkers prices league along with Oxford.

Contrary to popular belief not everyone in Cambridge is a university don or a company director.

This horrible old witch phoned into Nicky Campbell's Radio 5 show last week claiming the reason younger people can't get on the housing ladder is because they won't cut back and go without like they did all those years ago (when purely by coincidence prices were a fraction of what they are now, even allowing for inflation).

Secure jobs, affordable housing, final salary pensions, free university education, retirement at 65 (and in many cases earlier).

Cheaper beer too  :lol

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: 07 December 2017, 08:40:28 pm »
Know it alls who criticise others for asking questions!!

See other thread!
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: 07 December 2017, 10:27:59 pm »

1967 you could get something known as a council hoose.  But then the Tories got rid of em, or bought em up to rent out.

With variable interest rate of 15% or above all my money seemd to go on my mortgage in the early to mid 90's.

Anyway as the economy tanks due to the Brexit mess, you might find some bargains, that's if you are lucky to hold onto a decent job through this mess.

What gets my Goat? >: - fucking scum bag theiving bloody Tories

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: 07 December 2017, 11:10:49 pm »

I fear you have been mis-informed, and that the old witch has a point, to a degree. Secure jobs - I was made redundant 3 times in the 70s-80s-90s, I never had a pension scheme until 1990 let alone a final salary scheme, and lost a significant amount due to lack of government regulation. Affordable housing, it was called Council housing and properties were allocated to local people until the system was swamped by the failure to control immigration. I frequently walk the dog through one of those modern estates where the taxpayer part funds the cost of purchasing the property cos the owners cant afford it. The money saved by the occupants clearly goes on new audis and bmws, so they can drive the kids 200 yards to school, and the local nail bar and tattoo parlours weekly

We have never had anything that we didnt have to work for. Someone else on here calls todays lot the Snowflakes, and I think hes right

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: 07 December 2017, 11:49:49 pm »

My house was 9 times my salary when i bought it 26 years ago.
Trouble is for first time buyer its not just the house its all the other stuff you need as well, like a bed, a certain amount of furniture, cooking pots, cutlery, curtains, carpets, lampshades, condoms, well you cant afford to have children for a few years.

Homeowners moving, upsizing or downsizing on do not have the same expenses, I feel sorry for young folk trying to get their foot on the house buying ladder today.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: 08 December 2017, 12:09:52 am »

Ive just had a think, and I bought my current house in 2001 for just over twice my salary. And I thought I was taking a massive risk!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: 08 December 2017, 06:15:55 am »
I fear you have been mis-informed, and that the old witch has a point, to a degree. Secure jobs - I was made redundant 3 times in the 70s-80s-90s, I never had a pension scheme until 1990 let alone a final salary scheme, and lost a significant amount due to lack of government regulation.

That was unfortunate and I wish that hadn't happened to anyone. Then or now.

But it still doesn't alter the case that a significant proportion of the home buying population did have those benefits and that house prices now are stratospheric by comparison.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: 08 December 2017, 07:40:24 am »
With variable interest rate of 15% or above all my money seemd to go on my mortgage in the early to mid 90's.

I'd have thought that you were opposed to home ownership.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: 08 December 2017, 12:57:47 pm »
Pedestrian crossings, how is it that 1 person pressing the button is able to stop 40 cars -20 in each direction, ticking over then accelerating away then stop again because 10 seconds later 1 more person has pressed the button- so now its 60 cars. Also the person is halfway down the street when we get the green light.
Whats needed is smart crossings that monitor how many people are there and only stop traffic once a certain number of people are there and can "see" when the person has crossed and so can let the traffic go sooner.

« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 12:58:33 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: 08 December 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
Pedestrian crossings, how is it that 1 person pressing the button is able to stop 40 cars -20 in each direction, ticking over then accelerating away then stop again because 10 seconds later 1 more person has pressed the button- so now its 60 cars. Also the person is halfway down the street when we get the green light.
Whats needed is smart crossings that monitor how many people are there and only stop traffic once a certain number of people are there and can "see" when the person has crossed and so can let the traffic go sooner.

Or just replace it with a pelican crossing? The ones with a flashing yellow light that you only have to stop for when there's somebody waiting and can go as soon as they're clear

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: 08 December 2017, 01:22:05 pm »

Or just replace it with a pelican crossing? The ones with a flashing yellow light that you only have to stop for when there's somebody waiting and can go as soon as they're clear

Or handlebar mounted machine guns.

“Coming through.....”  :2guns

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: 08 December 2017, 01:29:19 pm »

Or handlebar mounted machine guns.

“Coming through.....”  :2guns

Mad max.... 🤔🤔

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: 08 December 2017, 01:56:35 pm »
Don't get me wrong because I too am a pedestrian and if I see a gap in the traffic coming in the distance I don't press the button then some git comes along and presses it and needlessly stops the traffic   

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: 14 December 2017, 09:50:18 am »
The irony of the 'Remainers' now advocating Parliamentary sovereignty and democracy in a last ditch hope of scuppering Brexit.

They were more than happy to see the loss of sovereignty and democracy over the last 40 years though.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: 14 December 2017, 11:38:39 am »
The irony of the 'Remainers' now advocating Parliamentary sovereignty and democracy in a last ditch hope of scuppering Brexit.

They were more than happy to see the loss of sovereignty and democracy over the last 40 years though.

What loss of sovereignty and democracy? I haven't noticed any.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: 14 December 2017, 12:02:18 pm »

What loss of sovereignty and democracy? I haven't noticed any.

The referendum certainly was a shining example of democracy, I'll agree with you there.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: 15 December 2017, 11:28:58 pm »
Dipshits so high on drugs they literally don't know what they're doing.
Just seen a fella, around 8 stone wet, try and take on a whole pub?
Angry bugger!!!  :eek

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: 16 December 2017, 09:10:38 am »
There's New Years Eve to look forward to yet darrsi ;)

All the once a year drinkers taking over the bar and going loopy on half a pint of shandy :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: 16 December 2017, 10:05:37 am »

All the once a year drinkers taking over the bar and going loopy on half a pint of shandy :lol

Those ones normally throw up or pass out, especially if it's very cold outside.
A friend of mine got unusually very drunk when it was bitterly cold last weekend, but he went from being normal to off his nut in under a minute, and we reckon it was because he kept going outside for a cigarette and breathing in the ice cold air, it was like breathing pure oxygen but the mix with alcohol is a bad combination.

Joking aside, the worst culprits are whenever there's a full moon, i know it sounds weird but you ask any landlord and they'll back that up.
People get a bit unhinged and tend to go crazy, especially if it falls on a Friday.  :crazy
Others that get totally wankered are school teachers, but in fairness i think they deserve it every now and then. They'll be down my local next week from mid afternoon, then it's a guessing game of who can last the longest. But you reliably always have the one who gets in a complete mess, the crier, the funny one, the same teacher who gropes every bird he can, the teetotal one who's just disgusted by everyone's behaviour, the drunk singers, etc. Plus we normally have a game trying to guess which subject they teach by the way they're dressed, but we're getting a bit too good at that one.  :lol

What you really don't want is a group of teachers on a bitterly cold Friday when it's a full moon.
That's a recipe for disaster.  :rollin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: 16 December 2017, 10:25:26 am »

Joking aside, the worst culprits are whenever there's a full moon, i know it sounds weird but you ask any landlord and they'll back that up.
People get a bit unhinged and tend to go crazy, especially if it falls on a Friday.  :crazy

Never understood the full moon thing because its always full but just doesn't have the sun shining on all of it.
I think it comes from something deep down in our physice from the time before artificial light because a full moon meant that predators could see us, lots of other things in nature are also triggered by the extra light a full moon gives, so its not the full moon per-say but the extra light from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: 16 December 2017, 10:33:57 am »

Never understood the full moon thing because its always full but just doesn't have the sun shining on all of it.
I think it comes from something deep down in our physice from the time before artificial light because a full moon meant that predators could see us, lots of other things in nature are also triggered by the extra light a full moon gives, so its not the full moon per-say but the extra light from it.

Sod all to do with that, we have electricity round our way, with streetlights.  :lol
I can't give you an exact scientific technical explanation, all i know is that whenever there's a full moon people act crazier than normal, that's just a fact that i see if i'm ever down the local on that particular night.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: 16 December 2017, 10:39:44 am »
This doesn't solve anything but does kind of back up what i'm saying, and is kind of interesting too.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131029-does-a-full-moon-make-people-mad