Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:00 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 643293 times)

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #1025 on: 03 November 2016, 01:45:52 pm »

What you did was not against the law as you were overtaking, unless you continued at 50 in a 40 after you cleared the slower vehicle/obstruction.

Wrong. Exceeding the speed limit to overtake something is not mitigation.
The limit is the limit.

It was the plod that informed me that it is not against the law, due to the fact that you need to get past the slower vehicle as quickly (but safley) as possible, if the vehicle is doing the speed limit then yes you shouldn't be overtaking any way but if it's a say 40 limit and you need to overtake a vehicle doing say 20 then you need to go faster to get past, it will put you in a danger zone for longer if you only go to the max limit for that road, as long as once you have cleared the slow moving vehicle you return to the speed limit for that road it is as I have been informed a legal manoeuvre.
The law is not black and white. If i'm wrong then I've been missinformed, but I've done it may times in the car and on the bike and never once have I been pulled for it, did it last night on my way home and the plod were right behind me and did nothing.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: 03 November 2016, 02:42:02 pm »
It's a very shady area but as I understand it, there is mitigation if you break the speed limit whilst overtaking to safely complete the maneuver.  If you were travelling at 60mph behind a car on a 60mph limit and overtook then you'd be breaking the law.  If you overtook a car doing 40mph on the very same road and went over the speed limit to complete the move then you'd most likely be okay!  However, it all depends on the actually amount you were over the limit I'd say. Don't think you'd have a leg to stand on if you were caught overtaking on the same road at 100mph!

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: 03 November 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
Never had an issue with the Police for this very same thing. Had great pleasure doing it recently with a mobile speed camera van. As long as its done in a reasonable manner then all's good with me.. I believe its described as "making progress"  ;)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: 03 November 2016, 03:04:53 pm »
Don't think you'd have a leg to stand on if you were caught overtaking on the same road at 100mph!

Common sense is a big factor required as yes if you were going 100mph+ to overtake then thats a bit excessive, as the only reason I could see that kind of speed being needed to overtake is if they were doing say 60 in a 70 and if that was the case then I wouldn't even bother to even entertain the idea of overtaking. instead I would sit there swearing at them but make it look like I singing along to the radio  :lol
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: 03 November 2016, 04:47:28 pm »
Rival football supporters endless ribbing/banter on match-day evening in the pub :z :z :z

:agree

I've never been into football, so to say it becomes boring is an understatement.  :z

There's a regular down my local who is obsessed with test cricket  (:z, but each to his own).

One evening he overheard me and my mate discussing the Ken Fox Wall Of Death that we had visited earlier in the day at the Stafford classic bike show.

He's a classic Mr Grumpy and without a hint of irony he turned and said 'Huh, what's the point in that?!'  :lol

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: 04 November 2016, 06:57:46 pm »

Football fans who talk about a game as if they were actually playing in the team they support, and then they talk to other fans of different clubs as if they played in their own team. Stuff like "We beat the pants off you on Saturday", "Yeah but we were better in defence".

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: 04 November 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
Rival football supporters endless ribbing/banter on match-day evening in the pub :z :z :z

I've never been into football, so to say it becomes boring is an understatement.  :z

There's a regular down my local who is obsessed with test cricket  ( :z , but each to his own).

One evening he overheard me and my mate discussing the Ken Fox Wall Of Death that we had visited earlier in the day at the Stafford classic bike show.

He's a classic Mr Grumpy and without a hint of irony he turned and said 'Huh, what's the point in that?!'  :lol

The classic pub bore, every pub has one.
"Been there, done that, but bigger, better and faster than you."

"Fuck off."
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: 04 November 2016, 11:26:24 pm »
Almost on par with "Oh, you ride a motorbike? My mate's got an R1."

"Fuck off."

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: 06 November 2016, 07:58:07 pm »
People who can't stay in their lane in roadworks. I was nearly sideswiped twice by a Mazda MX5 yesterday and the Porsche following him wasn't any better. Honestly you would have thought they were tacking into a headwind.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2016, 07:58:49 pm by crickleymal »
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: 06 November 2016, 09:13:08 pm »

"Fuck off."

:lol :lol

My current ball ache is bastard fog lights......."it's raining so better put those bad boys on"  :foc  I can't see now you cnut!
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: 06 November 2016, 09:21:12 pm »

"Fuck off."

My current ball ache is bastard fog lights......."it's raining so better put those bad boys on"  :foc  I can't see now you cnut!

Almost as bad as day time running lights, which are bright enough to cast light forwards therefore the thick twat behind the wheel thinks they have there lights on as the dash is lite up, but black as night when you come up behind them.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: 06 November 2016, 10:22:40 pm »

"Fuck off."

I've noticed a lot of newer cars with these mega bright strips of lights on the sides, as well as headlights.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: 07 November 2016, 01:53:05 pm »

Almost as bad as day time running lights, which are bright enough to cast light forwards therefore the thick twat behind the wheel thinks they have there lights on as the dash is lite up, but black as night when you come up behind them.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: 08 November 2016, 01:53:40 pm »

ye, the twat in the cage is probably thinking....who's this cnut behind me, why's he keep flashin me bruv?
fire never sleeps

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: 08 November 2016, 03:32:39 pm »
This foccing weather 🌬🌦⛄😵😵

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: 09 November 2016, 06:13:06 am »
This foccing weather 🌬🌦⛄😵😵

It has been hammering it down with rain all night in NW London, and still going strong now  :groan

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: 09 November 2016, 07:57:20 am »
Same here in North Lincolnshire. And it's not supposed to stop all day 😭
Normally id stick the waterproofs on and go get wet but I've just fitted a pc3 to the bike and haven't had chance to ride it properly so I don't fancy learning the new power curve on slippery roads.

Tomorrow looks alright at least 🤔🤔

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: 16 November 2016, 09:17:37 pm »
xmas lights being turned on in town center,s .       what a waste of time and money :rolleyes
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: 16 November 2016, 11:06:43 pm »
Cagers who lean into left hand bends, presumably to counter g-force, but have not yet worked out that it is unnecessary as they can't lean into right handers.

Oh............ and brake pedal dabbers

Agrees when I started driving a car as a young man I used to try to lean into left handers, thinking it would somehow help, but in fact you become less stable as a body in the car as you are fighting a g force that is natural and inline wi.th what you are doing, and that in its self unsettles you and makes you feel as if the car is going to tip over. Flop against the drivers door and it's a much more stable feeling. In fact it is the exact opposite to what you would imagine.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: 16 November 2016, 11:14:00 pm »
Cagers who swing out in the opposite direction before making a turn.
I was behind one dabber who was so bad I became convinced that the lights had an electrical problem
Sort of agree with you Sharpie but van drivers have no rear side windows to look through so have to come share onto junctions to see to the right. Yep I'm a white van man as well. No rear side windows and no rear view either cos of solid back doors. Bikiers for foc sake think about that when you are up the arse of a van.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: 16 November 2016, 11:38:53 pm »
Cagers who swing out in the opposite direction before making a turn.
I was behind one dabber who was so bad I became convinced that the lights had an electrical problem
Sort of agree with you Sharpie but van drivers have no rear side windows to look through so have to come share onto junctions to see to the right. Yep I'm a white van man as well. No rear side windows and no rear view either cos of solid back doors. Bikiers for foc sake think about that when you are up the arse of a van.
I mainly see it from morons with all the tell tale signs, darkened windows, bucket seats, black chequer cloth on bonnet, blue side lights, wonky after-market led daylights (with at least 2 leds already blown), bean can exhaust, lowered suspension.
And the reason for the swing out is to go around the corner faster       
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: 16 November 2016, 11:49:43 pm »
I was trying to explain to a car driver yesterday that said to me he swerves out the way of bikes to let them pass.
I said there was simply no need, just stay straight and the bike will pass whenever they feel it's okay to do so, then they're gone!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: 17 November 2016, 01:27:07 pm »
I was trying to explain to a car driver yesterday that said to me he swerves out the way of bikes to let them pass.
I said there was simply no need, just stay straight and the bike will pass whenever they feel it's okay to do so, then they're gone!

Yeah I hate that. I know they are trying to be courteous but sometimes your not looking to overtake but you feel the need to just because they've moved over. If not you just get that awkward few hundred metres until they give up and then act like your the knob

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1048 on: 17 November 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
If I am in the car and sat in a stream of slower moving traffic, I will move over to make sure the bike has seen that I have seen him. Sometimes if I am in the outside lane, I will turn on the rhs indicator too so he knows I wont be moving to the left.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: 18 November 2016, 02:24:30 pm »
bastards who tailgate you, on a single carriageway in a 40 through road works in the dark and wet and this twat was up my jacksie with fog lights on too. I very, very, nearly slowed it down to a complete halt and was going to have serious words with the twat but I was late for home and still had things to do en route.
It eventually opened upto two lanes and he pulled out to take me but I just opened her up and the goon had to go back into lane one

arsewipe
fire never sleeps