Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:04 pm

Author Topic: Today's "What Gets My Goat" - NO POLITICS!  (Read 643371 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Today's "What Gets My Goat"
« Reply #1550 on: 25 September 2017, 12:34:24 pm »
Feckin twice today made contact in London. Lost a lot of front bumper clips when you kick down on  them.

I take it L'Bob is tucked up nice and safe in the garage at the moment as you haven't had it MOT'd yet

Oh crap !!!!!!!!!!! Errrrrrr no.......  :eek

It's all ok Bob - just checked. You paid extra and got a 2yr MOT  :deal . Many thanks for that - FYI Bobby is now sitting at 12,850 miles  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 25 September 2017, 12:48:12 pm »
Trying to tear those silver foil seals that can only be removed by bursting a hole through them, off the top of oil/antifreeze/water containers without dropping a bit inside.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: 25 September 2017, 08:59:33 pm »
People who wont walk on escellators.......have they all the time in the world or are they really that foccin lazy     :wall

People who don't understand the rule about "stand on the right, walk on the left" on escalators!
I've never heard of that rule. And besides, I used an escalator today and just stood there until it got to the top. Why would you walk up an escalator ? You might as well use the stairs.

I worked for a few years in Oxford Street, it's certainly a London thing, and very annoying when people stand still on the left when you're in a hurry as most London workers are.
Ah.. that would explain it. Very rarely see anyone walking up an escalator down here.

Fuck off Grayo where you come from people are still swinging about on vines :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 26 September 2017, 08:16:55 pm »
Chuffin garden strimmers. Strim for 30 seconds, the cord snaps. The so called "bump n feed" never works so you have stop and dismantle the chuffin head and pull some more out. Restart. 30 seconds later, same again. Ive had bosch, black an decker, and spear and jackson. All the same. All fucking useless

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: 26 September 2017, 08:39:31 pm »
Chuffin garden strimmers. Strim for 30 seconds, the cord snaps. The so called "bump n feed" never works so you have stop and dismantle the chuffin head and pull some more out. Restart. 30 seconds later, same again. Ive had bosch, black an decker, and spear and jackson. All the same. All fucking useless

Buy Stihl  ;)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 26 September 2017, 09:48:28 pm »

ha ha pmsl, exactly the same in our house. I've fucked the strimmer off now and find myself standing at daft angles using a pair of edge cutters to trim the grass
fire never sleeps

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: 26 September 2017, 10:41:48 pm »
Stihl FS40 lovely little strimmer light weight and easy to handle bump feed works a treat, very easy to reload with line takes 2 mm strimmer line, 50:1 2 stroke mixture, Highly recommended shop around and you can pick up one for £140.

Alternately the Hyundai 53cc 2 stroke strimmer is good value, quite a bit heavier, but fine for heavy grass and nettle and brambles.
It comes as a kit with a steel brush cutter blade and another steel blade that almost looks like a circular saw, also in the kit is a pair of heavy leather gloves, a head mask with mesh screen, ear defenders a tool kit and they even supply you with a spare Bosh spark plug and double shoulder strap. £124.99.
The only let down is that the bump feed is not intuitive to reload

The Stihl strimmer this size is about £350.

What I find quite funny is this Post was started by Hedgetrimmer and here we are on about strimmers :lol

« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 10:44:16 pm by tommyardin »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 26 September 2017, 10:44:19 pm »
The strimmer cord is too thin. Buy some heavy duty stuff (make sure it will still fit through the hole), it lasts for nearly two minutes before it breaks. Better still, buy a bush cutter. A bit more expensive as it uses metal blades. Be careful though cos when those metal blades snap...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1558 on: 27 September 2017, 02:12:56 am »
my renewal from Bennetts came through at weekend and its gone up to £290 from £230!!

Phone them up, tell them you're going elsewhere and I can almost guarantee that, magically, they'll suddenly find that they can do you a better deal!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 27 September 2017, 05:18:48 am »
Do an on-line quote then ring up Bennetts and see if they'll match it.
I start the conversation with "I'd like to cancel the renewal please" as it gets their attention.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: 27 September 2017, 06:41:26 am »

That's why I pay monthly, It only costs a few quid extra over the year and if you cancel you just stop paying.

Very true. Some advantages to both. Live and learn.

Did I also mention I think I got zapped by a mobile speed van last Friday (that'll bump up my premium!) :oops
Saw the guy jump out of his van, run round the front in my direction... did he get a chance to snap the Plate on the rear of my :faz ............................ Orrrrrr not!? :bobby

Then you start mulling over actually how fast you THINK you were going!  :rolleyes

Insurance firms aren't bothered by minor speeding fines or points, i've been done twice over the years and it never affected my premium.
I think they expect that nobody's perfect and it is easy to get 3 points for example so they tend to overlook it, as long as you're not doing some ridiculous OTT speed.

Insurance has generally gone up something stupid for most people this year, which i find very unfair.
My mum had a 1000cc car last year and paid around £340-£360 i think, but this year with an old 1200cc motor she got quoted £840?
I got it down to £690 in the end, and she's never claimed before, it literally is like being legally mugged.
Fuel still costs the same, the speed limits are still the same, so how do they justify such a price hike?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: 27 September 2017, 08:29:44 am »
Yes,exactly my thoughts. Why do they penalise good drivers for making the misguided assumption that "loyalty" should be rewarded?
My car insurance renewal came lthis month & they wanted an extra £63 to reinsure...fffs I am on the maximum no claims possible. A quick check on the comparison sites provided identical level of cover for £7 LESS than I paid a year ago. Why do we have to go to all this trouble every year? Is it because they only consider their shareholders? Why not bloody well nationalise the whole industry as its a legal requirement anyway-maybe link insurance more closely to MOT & VED to helpget the uninsured f*****s off the road?

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #1562 on: 27 September 2017, 09:53:43 am »
I start the conversation with "I'd like to cancel the renewal please" as it gets their attention.

I did a price comparison & got exactly same cover from RAC for £100 cheaper so I've gone with that
will ring Bennetts to cancel at weekend (insurance runs to 17/10) I doubt that they will drop down that far!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: 27 September 2017, 01:27:33 pm »

I did a price comparison & got exactly same cover from RAC for £100 cheaper so I've gone with that
will ring Bennetts to cancel at weekend (insurance runs to 17/10) I doubt that they will drop down that far!

Always worth a try, you'd be amazed at some of the shite they can suddenly knock off pricewise to keep you as a customer.
My mate phones Kwik-Fit every year to cancel his renewal as he's found it cheaper online, and when they ask him who with he always replies "Kwik-Fit"  :lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: 27 September 2017, 01:57:46 pm »
Bloody students!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: 27 September 2017, 02:53:21 pm »
Yes the quote I got online was actually from Bennetts. I just knocked an extra fiver off when they asked what quote I'd got. They re quoted at the online price which I accepted "To save the hassle" as I said. £80 cheaper than the initial renewal price.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: 27 September 2017, 05:06:10 pm »
The strimmer cord is too thin. Buy some heavy duty stuff (make sure it will still fit through the hole), it lasts for nearly two minutes before it breaks. Better still, buy a bush cutter. A bit more expensive as it uses metal blades. Be careful though cos when those metal blades snap...

Some of the really cheap cord is plastic/pvc or some such material and is useless. Breaks almost instantly.

Nylon is best.

The only issue with using some of the petrol strimmers in domestic gardens (apart from your neighbours complaining about the two-stroke din :lol) is that they can be a bit overpowered.

Combined with the heavier gauge cord, you can quite easily go round stripping the bark off of all your shrubs and trees.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: 27 September 2017, 05:24:29 pm »
I did this with Motorcycle Direct. They just said ok !! And cancelled the renewal.
I then went onto a price comparison site and renewewd with Motorcycle Direct !!  For £63 cheaper than their renewal quote.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: 27 September 2017, 06:06:09 pm »
I always check for cheaper quotes first cos you need some ammunition and if they just cancel like that (which is very rare) you've got another one to go to.

The only issue with using some of the petrol strimmers in domestic gardens (apart from your neighbours complaining about the two-stroke din :lol ) is that they can be a bit overpowered.

We've got an electric strimmer as I can't be faffing around mixing 2 stroke fuel up and it's good enough for what we need, the standard nylon/plastic cord is far too thin and snaps within seconds so I just buy some thicker stuff. I will also have an electric chainsaw soon for the same reason, the petrol tank is soon empty and like you say it is too noisy. My neighbours haven't said anything about it but I've got a lot of wood to saw up over the next few weekends and I don't want to annoy them. The electric one's aren't quite as powerful but they are a lot quieter.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1569 on: 27 September 2017, 06:14:47 pm »
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Yamaha-FZS-600-Motorcycle-Batteries-D2860.html

I should have checked the bike first I know, but they list the wrong battery for the FZS600 so now I have a battery that is no use to me.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: 27 September 2017, 06:27:56 pm »
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Yamaha-FZS-600-Motorcycle-Batteries-D2860.html

I should have checked the bike first I know, but they list the wrong battery for the FZS600 so now I have a battery that is no use to me.
:wall
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: 27 September 2017, 07:31:48 pm »
I've done that. I relied on the sellers description which said "GT550 Battery". The one that arrived was massive. Their response is that I should have checked the dimensions which would have been ok if I'd had an old battery to measure in the first place. I ended up selling the battery to a mate for half price and made a mental note not to buy anything from that seller again.
I would have returned the battery but it weighed so much that it would have cost a tenner - and no courier or the Post Office would accept a battery as a parcel, even the couriers who delivered it in the first place refused to carry it!

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: 27 September 2017, 11:08:23 pm »
Yes the quote I got online was actually from Bennetts. I just knocked an extra fiver off when they asked what quote I'd got. They re quoted at the online price which I accepted "To save the hassle" as I said. £80 cheaper than the initial renewal price.
Hastings !!! cheaper for the bike left on the drive than in a locked brick built garage !! I think insurance will be the new ppi con, in a few years people will be claiming what they have been mis sold

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: 27 September 2017, 11:15:44 pm »
Hastings !!! cheaper for the bike left on the drive than in a locked brick built garage !! I think insurance will be the new ppi con, in a few years people will be claiming what they have been mis sold

Wow, can you even imagine the windfall that everyone would get if that happened?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: 28 September 2017, 11:05:59 am »
The trouble with all this Miss sold shit is that the miss selling companies are all still doing well even after the have paid out compensation, so who at the final bell is paying for it? Foccing policy holders and there is yet another hyke in you premiums. I am afraid the policy holder is the end of the food chain.