Date: 25-04-24  Time: 16:02 pm

Author Topic: EXUP valve. Worth repairing?  (Read 2455 times)

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
EXUP valve. Worth repairing?
« on: 03 July 2015, 08:35:40 pm »
After reading a post about maintaining EXUP valve I checked mine during a few other bits and pieces to get familiar with my new, to me, FZ1 but I found the cables are missing.

The pulley and valve are there but the cables are no wherd to be seen, the spring is keeping it in the open position.
The valve turns freely and I can feel and hear the difference in exhaust flow and sound.

So my question is do I fix it?
I guess it was removed fr a reason, but I don't know what.
I have the fully faired version with all the extra bits so it will be a faff to strip every thing down to get the tank off and check if the servo is there, the cables certainly are not.

How much benefit will it give me in power and or torque and or fuel consumption.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP valve. Worth repairing?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2015, 08:49:21 pm »
The person who had the bike before most probably had an aftermarket can and link pipe fited, when he sold the bike on he would have put the original can back on.
I have no exup cables on my FZ1 and just about everyone else with an aftermarket can will have none fited either, the exup on the FZ1 is just for noise and emmisions and does not effect power unlike the FZS1000 Fazer where the exup valve does affect low down power.
Saying all that there are some others who say it is does affect power but if I were you I would not worry about it, I have never heard anyone say they have noticed any difference in performance when the exup is disconnected or disabled.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2015, 09:04:56 pm »
Id take the can off and just check the butterfly is in the permanent open position; as ^^^ above the EXUP in the FZ1 is not a true powervalve as it only closes around 5kRPM to meet homologation rules.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2015, 10:40:42 pm »
Stewie, you asked a question & have received an excellent, informative response.
Why not a response
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 10:41:19 pm by DekF »

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2015, 07:56:35 am »
Stewie, you asked a question & have received an excellent, informative response.
Why not a response

I appologise, I had not seen the responses  :o

Thanks for the all the information.

I got a decent ride out on the bike yesterday and if there can be more power had by putting the EXUP back in operation then I don't think I will be doing it because there is more than enough power there anyway!
I will probably go down the aftermarket can route at some point so it is no bad thing for it not to be there for me to remove later.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2015, 08:07:26 pm »
Why not a response

Crikey. Give the guy a chance. I don't switch on my computer every day either.