Date: 16-04-24  Time: 17:24 pm

Author Topic: Another engine repaint thread  (Read 2140 times)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Another engine repaint thread
« on: 27 June 2015, 11:43:38 pm »
As I had my radiator off for repair, I was looking at the sorry state of the engine and gasping in horror and at the same time, Red98's engine repaint thread came along and finally inspired me to get my ancient Fazer sorted out.

It's taken many many hours of prep work - 3 weekends worth in  fact, but after 38 seconds of Simoniz Engine Enamel it's finally looking like it used to 141,000 miles ago. I started with this:

Pretty grotty but the studs were ok because the exhaust has been off many times and maintained so I've replace the studs once already. These have done around 80k miles and apart from one, they're still ok

Bits of radiator and the crossbar engine mount primed for paint.

I can't tell you how many hours of MuckOff, washing, sanding, Dremeling and panel wiping went into this picture. It was a lot.

All masked up and ready for second coat. Just masking up took over two hours.

Spanking new.

Simoniz Engine enamel is very easy to work with and the results speak for themselves. If anyone has a bit of flaky paint around the generator cover where all silver engined Fazer's seem to go, just prep well and get it done. Next bike I get, I'm taking the front end off and giving it a clean and a respray before I even ride it, to give the front of the engine more protection against salt. And then I'll douse it with ACF50.

Next job, touch up the frame paint around the engine mounts and get the rear mount welded back onto the downpipes. And rebuild the forks. Again. This'll be the fourth time. Oh, and whip the cam cover off and repaint that. Jeez, it never ends.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2015, 12:07:33 am by AyJay »

sirgalahad3

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - SR 500
    • View Profile
Re: Another engine repaint thread
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2015, 06:52:19 am »
A lot of work but worth it, looks great now.
I took the cam cover off mine yesterday for a valve check. That's a bit tatty, looking at your work I may give that the simoniz treatment.
Good work.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2015, 08:02:13 am »
Nice work ayjay....yep, very time consuming but worth it...that simoniz paint is a better match than the hycote I used, got more of a sparkle to it  ....
One, is never going to be enough.....

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2015, 10:28:20 am »
Looks great, + 1 on the simonise, I used it on mine and it came up a treat.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2015, 10:31:31 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I laid down another two coats this afternoon and finished rebuilding the forks. With a bit of luck it will be back on the road next weekend.