Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:28 am

Author Topic: Anyone on here got a Tiger (Triumph)  (Read 3012 times)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Anyone on here got a Tiger (Triumph)
« on: 23 June 2015, 06:18:54 pm »
A 800 or 1050 ?

I would like to hear your opinons on them,,,1050 sport 3 years old,,,or the 800 model
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone on here got a Tiger (Triumph)
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2015, 07:12:58 pm »
I've got an 800XC. 2011 bike. Love it - am doing far more miles than I ever did on the FZS. Motor is great, pulls in any gear from any revs, smooth... Just done 3000 miles in 11 days to the Pyrenees and back, most excellent.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2015, 08:40:31 pm »
I had a 07 plate 1050 a couple of years ago. Great bike, superb engine, quirky manners, but goddam awful shock!!!

The rear suspension was made for someone weighing 10 stone. Simple to upgrade though.

I also tuned mine up to about 125bhp, and it was a flying machine. Super comfy, you can ride it all day. 160 ish miles to a tank.

And I'm really looking for another one at the mo for touring.

Book yourself a test ride. Just stay away from the sport unless you've got a square arse!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2015, 07:33:00 am »
Thanks,Steveie ,, strange enough I am drawn towards the sport.

Talking to a chap the other day with a 800, he loves it,he tried a 1050 but says its not much better,,he felt no more torque

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2015, 08:16:16 am »
Nakedadder, Gringo and Debz love theirs, must admit after hearing the three of them rave about them It's definitely up there on my list of "Next bike in a couple of years".

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2015, 09:35:13 am »
Got the original Tiger 900 on carbs which I love, but given the choice would have the 800 XRX in a flash. Does all you would ever need a bike to do - although got to admit that on looks I prefer the Sport but can't explain why.

800XRX review below

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2015/2015-Triumph-New-Tiger-800XRx.htm
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2015, 05:53:59 pm »
A mate of mine has an original carbed one,,he has horrible problems from it being laid up foe years,,some sort of plastic,rubber or rotting tank coming through the fuel line blocking the jets,,

I have looked at two models,,2013 Ducati Multistrada,,met two owners at Abergavenny the other day ,one had a 2012 very nice 1200 model and another with a 2015 £16,000.00 bute

I will have to have a ride on an 800 model triumph to satisfy my interest.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2015, 06:55:57 pm »
Check out the new Bmw r1200rs in this month's ride magazine. That will be worth a demo ride .

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2015, 10:20:55 pm »
I've got a new (March) 800 XRX and recently got back from a trip to the Czech Republic and back. Interesting comparison as last year I did the same trip on my FZS600.
Tiger is a very very comfortable bike. Doing 250-350 miles a day for 7 days running without fatigue. Apart from the standard screen which is rubbish at anything over 80. You are up nice and high and it has the nice triple torque (I also have a Speed Triple, and the Tiger comes close).
However with its thin tyres and riding position, the 800 makes no pretense as a sports, whereas the Fazer does. I love the Fazer on fast smooth roads. Never ridden the 1050, but it's clearly an upright Sports bike.
So I think it depends what you want to do. 800 for touring, 1050 for corners. Get both  :) 

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2015, 06:34:47 am »
Thanks mucho chaps,,will keep checking them out,,oh and of course there is the MT09 Tracer to mix it up a bit,,seems like a good price too ,new that is.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2015, 07:49:29 am »
A mate of mine has an original carbed one,,he has horrible problems from it being laid up foe years,,some sort of plastic,rubber or rotting tank coming through the fuel line blocking the jets,, They don't like sitting around for long periods, it causes the carbs to gum up. Plastic tank so that's not the issue. He needs to strip and clean his carbs.

I have looked at two models,,2013 Ducati Multistrada (nice bikes but expensive to maintain),,met two owners at Abergavenny the other day ,one had a 2012 very nice 1200 model and another with a 2015 £16,000.00 bute

I will have to have a ride on an 800 model triumph to satisfy my interest.
Try and get the XRX instead of the spoked wheel XRC for a ride. Suspension travel/setup is different and the XRX is just that bit sharper. They were my thoughts a few months ago. Good shout on the Tracer as another viable option - good bikes but less quality than any others mentioned.

Good luck fella  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2015, 07:28:03 pm »
I tested both versions of the 800's last year and found them nice to ride. Superb around the twisties/b-roads but I did not find it altogether great on motorways. Thought they lacked a bit of ooommph.

Tested the Tracer a few weeks back and thought it was an excellent bike. Better engine, handling and wind protection than the Triumphs IMO  :rolleyes
Also thought the build quality on the Tracer was better.

Personal choice though and I would give both a try if I was buying