• Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Mildew
« on: 16 June 2015, 02:49:42 pm »
I have a real problem with this stuff !

My bike lives in a garage with no ventalation no heating  the tempreture gos up and down as well as the moisture level

mildew has alway been an issue but its really bad now

clean my bike often enough but not very often a deep clean panels off sort of job

well I had the seat off and the side panels and the bike is covered in soft white furry stuff anything thats black is covered and stands out a mile , but its pretty much everwhere over the whole bike !

before I start spray god know what all over the place

any recomendations  for clearing it it on pipe work cables hand grips you name it

Im guessing acf 50 after cleaning

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Re: Mildew
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2015, 03:34:03 pm »
I'd scrub it all down with a good soapy water then leave to dry outside, meanwhile i'd look at getting a little through draft going to prevent re-occurrence!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

snapper

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
Thanks Robbie no chance of a through draft as it's in a block of garages 5o yards from my house

I was hoping that there is something specific for the job and ok for rubber and plastics

scrubbing isn't that easy as some much is in very hard to reach places on the bike

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2015, 04:03:34 pm »
Add some Milton disinfectant (the stuff for babies bottles) to warm water to wash it all down, soaking if possible.
It's great for killing off the bacteria which is causing the mould/mildew.

You really do need to create some through draught ventilation though to prevent any future growths.
I've found that a small dehumidifier has made a big difference in my garage too

Steve

snapper

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2015, 04:05:55 pm »
Stev thanks for the tip I shall try it

there is no power in the garages  :'(

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
Without power your best bet is reusable moisture collection packs, but I don't know how effective they would be in that sort of size space

I use one of these in my car and it's done a damn good job of stopping the windscreen from fogging up in winter (it used to be a nightmare)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434468669&sr=8-2&keywords=car+moisture+absorber

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2015, 05:05:22 pm »
Without power your best bet is reusable moisture collection packs, but I don't know how effective they would be in that sort of size space

I use one of these in my car and it's done a damn good job of stopping the windscreen from fogging up in winter (it used to be a nightmare)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434468669&sr=8-2&keywords=car+moisture+absorber

Putting a cover over the bike in the garage and placing a couple of these on the seat would probably increase the effectiveness of them a little!
Some say...

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2015, 06:03:48 pm »
Are the walls/ floor damp? can you insulate the roof. If you can reduce the humidity it would help masonary paint on the inside of the walls would do and a damp proofing on the floor.

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2015, 10:45:05 pm »
Can you fit a couple of air bricks?

snapper

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2015, 10:47:07 pm »
to be honest there is some ventalation not masses , but its rented I'll pop a pic up before the weekend

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2015, 11:40:20 pm »
any recomendations  for clearing it it on pipe work cables hand grips you name it

Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (about £6 a litre off eBay) and mix it 50/50 with water.

Put it into a spray gun and squirt it all over the mould and it will kill it and disinfect the area.

Your problem, though, is the lack of ventilation (mould loves warm stagnant air that doesn't move) so you really need to fix that to avoid the problem coming back.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2015, 10:53:48 am »

Putting a cover over the bike in the garage and placing a couple of these on the seat would probably increase the effectiveness of them a little!

Nice idea! It won't help the garage but should definitely help the bike :)