Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:59 pm

Author Topic: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today  (Read 198042 times)

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today
« Reply #800 on: 16 December 2018, 05:56:36 pm »
Fitted new pads in rear caliper ,new seals and piston polish needed asap but need the bike for work this/week
Job for the Xmas break

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 16 December 2018, 07:19:55 pm »
Toms, being an ignorant northern type, I don't have a clue or really care WTF goes on in London, it may as well be a different solar system, but what will you be able to ride into London once the further stupidity comes into effect?

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 16 December 2018, 07:51:53 pm »
Basically all new model bikes made after 07 should be exempt this won't include older designed bikes sold in 07

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 17 December 2018, 08:41:04 am »
Thanks for info Gerkin

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 18 December 2018, 11:16:01 am »
Basically all new model bikes made after 07 should be exempt this won't include older designed bikes sold in 07

Yeah, basically anything that meets Euro 3 should be fine. Its all based on declared emissions anyway. If I had my Fazer tested and the emissions were within the requirement then I would be fine to continue riding it without having to pay the daily charge.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 18 December 2018, 11:42:43 am »
Their website will tell you if you are liable for ulez or not,  simply by inputting your reg number. My 55 plate is liable, so would anything else that age or older.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Valley boi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 11 January 2019, 07:35:19 pm »
Changed the original headers for New delkivic ones today. Quite an easy job to do. O was suprised at the bore difference compared to the original.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 11 January 2019, 08:02:03 pm »
Changed the original headers for New delkivic ones today. Quite an easy job to do. O was suprised at the bore difference compared to the original.
Easy as long as you don't snap a stud!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 12 January 2019, 04:42:58 am »
Easy as long as you don't snap a stud!

I can't believe how easy that is to do, after my last experience taking the headers off. I broke two with very little force.  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 12 January 2019, 11:01:25 am »
I think the diameter of the studs is too small. If they had used M8 studs instead of M6 they would have been a lot stronger. Also using the open ended nuts was a bad idea because all the muck from road clogs up the threads. I think it's nearly always the center two studs behind the wheel that snap. Even if you crack the nut free and get a few turns out of it they can still shear because they bind up from dirt and rust on threads because the nut is open. Also whatever steel they made the studs and the whole exhaust from wasn't good enough. It rusts out too easily. I know the Fazer was a budget commuter when it was sold but Yamaha really cheaped out on the exhaust system

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: 12 January 2019, 11:32:28 am »
I think the diameter of the studs is too small. If they had used M8 studs instead of M6 they would have been a lot stronger. Also using the open ended nuts was a bad idea because all the muck from road clogs up the threads. I think it's nearly always the center two studs behind the wheel that snap. Even if you crack the nut free and get a few turns out of it they can still shear because they bind up from dirt and rust on threads because the nut is open. Also whatever steel they made the studs and the whole exhaust from wasn't good enough. It rusts out too easily. I know the Fazer was a budget commuter when it was sold but Yamaha really cheaped out on the exhaust system

Had a chat with my mechanic at the time and apparently they did upgrade to M8 on newer Yamaha bikes after they realized it was becoming a problem.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 10 February 2019, 10:24:23 pm »
Today....

Fitted spotlights
Changed orange indicator lenses to smoked
Fitted heated grips

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 12 February 2019, 08:57:38 pm »
so new wireing loom new ignition and keys with seat lock as well she will be so nice when im done with her lol

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 13 February 2019, 01:53:29 am »
Replaced 3 deteriorating water pipes then flushed and replaced the coolant/antifreeze.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 13 February 2019, 06:45:24 am »
Today....

Fitted spotlights
Fitted heated grips

Smoked indicator lenses?
You have the majority of vehicles "out to get you" and you are lessening the chance of them seeing you make a turn, and if something unfortunate was to happen then believe me the first thing they will shout will either be "He didn't indicate" or "I couldn't see the indicators properly".
Are they even legal, and will they get through an M.O.T., it's not something that has ever even crossed my mind before to fit?

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 13 February 2019, 09:09:11 am »
The smoked lenses are just as bright as clear ones, or at the very least they're brighter than the originals!

I've got Bike-It mini smoked indicators from sportsbikeshop on mine and they're a definite improvement in brightness and looks on the boxy old ones.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 13 February 2019, 09:30:04 am »
Today....

Fitted spotlights
Fitted heated grips

Smoked indicator lenses?
You have the majority of vehicles "out to get you" and you are lessening the chance of them seeing you make a turn, and if something unfortunate was to happen then believe me the first thing they will shout will either be "He didn't indicate" or "I couldn't see the indicators properly".
Are they even legal, and will they get through an M.O.T., it's not something that has ever even crossed my mind before to fit?

I find clear indicators to be the hazardous ones.
When in sunshine they can catch so much light that the difference between on and off is not visible.  Amber or smoked ones absorb external light on the way in as well as on the way out whereas the light you want only has to make the trip out... so the contrast between on and off is roughly 3 x better.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 13 February 2019, 11:04:08 am »
I was going to mention the smoked lenses but did not want to be the first one to say something as im sure he is a big boy and he can do what he likes. (I don't mean that in a sarcastic way).I would never fit them, as darrsi says in an off you stand no chance of winning an insurance case.Now I do like the sound of clear lenses and orange led bulbs especially on my bike as it is black and chrome/polished alloy, same for the rear lens- red LED. But too tight and not that bothered to spend the money doing it.  :lol     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 13 February 2019, 12:52:20 pm »
I was going to mention the smoked lenses but did not want to be the first one to say something as im sure he is a big boy and he can do what he likes. (I don't mean that in a sarcastic way).I would never fit them, as darrsi says in an off you stand no chance of winning an insurance case.Now I do like the sound of clear lenses and orange led bulbs especially on my bike as it is black and chrome/polished alloy, same for the rear lens- red LED. But too tight and not that bothered to spend the money doing it.  :lol   

I wasn't having a dig, it was just a natural reaction most likely from when I've seen boy racers in their souped up VW Golf's, and they have their lights all darkened and they've most certainly not improved anything at all. The ones I've seen you can barely see a light flickering in the centre of the lens cover, which is why they tend to get pulled over so often.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 13 February 2019, 05:04:31 pm »
In the interest of science I've just taken some pics of the comparison between original lenses and smoked ones.
The smoked ones have orange bulbs and in my opinion make the bike look a little nicer.
Can I get any credit for not bastardising her too much by fitting LED indicators?

Orange on the left, smoked on the right.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 05:12:56 pm by Middy2000 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 13 February 2019, 05:51:40 pm »
In the interest of science I've just taken some pics of the comparison between original lenses and smoked ones.
The smoked ones have orange bulbs and in my opinion make the bike look a little nicer.
Can I get any credit for not bastardising her too much by fitting LED indicators?

Orange look easier to see - there might be a brighter centre on the smoked but the whole of the orange is "glowing" more. As your bike is silver IMO it would of looked better with clear lenses with orange bulbs.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 13 February 2019, 06:36:26 pm »
I did order clear but then had a last minute change of heart & got smoked.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 13 February 2019, 06:52:36 pm »
rear brake strip down rebuild and bleed

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 13 February 2019, 07:03:47 pm »
I think the original one looks better :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 13 February 2019, 07:10:00 pm »

Orange look easier to see - there might be a brighter centre on the smoked but the whole of the orange is "glowing" more. As your bike is silver IMO it would of looked better with clear lenses with orange bulbs.

I second the clear lens with orange bulbs. The smoked one i generally dimmer than the orange one